• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 Yamaha 242x e-series stereo

ffas11

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Anyone on here that owns a 242x e-series having trouble with the stereo system? Mine keeps cutting out at about 75% max volume. Turned the gains down cause they were all the way up. Now the front two speakers don't work. I've noticed also that the power and ground wires aren't the recommended 4g wire. I've taken it to the shop twice for the same problem.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Common reasons for amplifier shut-down are 1) low voltage, 2) high thermal, 3) over-driven due to not hearing the limitations when underway and in competition with a considerable noise floor. Sometimes the amplifier protection circuit is doing its job.
Under-sized supply cables can contribute to both low voltage and high thermal. Both the pos. & neg. trunk cables to the battery are sized via current times distance.
What amplifier do you have and how many speakers is it driving?
Any chance the bow speakers are driven off the HU power?

ffas11

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
No there aren't any speakers ran from HU. All are ran by amps. I'm thinking there is a wire or two that is crossed up or bare wire rubbing somewhere. Took boat back to shop for second time. Did find out that the amps were turned all the way up. Guy that owns dealership said this is the only boat that has given anyone problems.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Mine cuts out at high volume (90%), but I attribute that to thermal protection. What is annoying is that it also cuts out the RCA pass through, so it kills every amp. I may have to replace my amps to get something that doesn't cut out when cranking.

Also have to wonder how many people are cranking these amps like we do?

ffas11

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think a lot has to do with the fact the amps are right next to the batteries and mine has at the most 12g power and ground wire

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think a lot has to do with the fact the amps are right next to the batteries and mine has at the most 12g power and ground wire
I thought my power wires looked like 8 or 10 gauge wire....which would supply 30 or 40 amps for that short run. If you find that it is indeed 12g, then that might be an issue as I think the amplifiers ask for 30 amp fuses....(not certain about that)

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I am curious to know if I take a couple of speakers off one of the polks (like the stern cabin speakers that are run in series) and put them on my Wetsounds amp....I assume that would reduce the load on the Polk amp and perhaps reduce the chance of it going into protection mode????

ffas11

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
im sure that would and that wouldn't be a bad idea. I've contemplated on getting rid of my polk amps and going JL and running all new wire. just not sure how easy or hard it would be beings how its factory wiring harnesses.

ffas11

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I also think they need to integrate an airflow hole in that compartment and that might help with overheating. The first time I had problems it smoked my head unit and both amps. so its all brand new and still have troubles