• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 242xe ballast instructions?

Osric

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Is there any documentation for the ballast system?

Or, does someone know a way to manually run the pumps? My centre ballast doesn't completely empty. I'd guess it is at 10-15% when it thinks it is empty and that's after letting out a bunch by removing the hose.

I'd also like to know if I can just put a bigger ballast on the right side and have the system know it, and how to program different presets...in short, I need a manual.

Osric

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've not had to mess with mine, but there is a screen in the sys control setup that allows you to mess with the ballast settings. Press and hold the sys button for 5-10 seconds to pull up the menu.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe they are set on timers. There is probably a way to increase/decrease run time. Doesn't answer your question though.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have 5 hours on mine, I've not even tested them yet.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
something is wonky on mine. the starboard and center bags seem to leak out the top vent a bit while the port side one doesn't get quite full. Then after one fill/drain cycle, the port arrows look like the following...

Any ideas what may be going on there?

Attachments

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So I heard back from the service manager at my dealer. They contacted their Yamaha Rep. Here's his reply...

"When I spoke with our Yamaha Rep he said that when the screen shows green it means this is an adjustment setting. This allows you to adjust how much you want to fill in each bag. The ballast pumps themselves are all on timers. The computer uses a calculation to assume how full the bags are based on run time. This can be tripped short though depending on how much residual water is left in the bags or if the pumps run dry for a brief period of time."

I then asked him how to get into/out of those modes and for recommendations on how to adjust pump run time.

riverrunner

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You can manually operate the ballast pumps by pressing and holding the arrows. For example, one of my bags did not empty 100%, so I just pressed the Ballast Button and then held the Down Arrow associated with that ballast. If you listen carefully, you can hear the corresponding pump run. The engine must be running for the pumps to operate.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can manually operate the ballast pumps by pressing and holding the arrows. For example, one of my bags did not empty 100%, so I just pressed the Ballast Button and then held the Down Arrow associated with that ballast. If you listen carefully, you can hear the corresponding pump run. The engine must be running for the pumps to operate.
That sucks. So you can't lounge without the engine running and fill up or pump out ballast?