• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 or 2019 242 Limited SE, Coming from Cobalt 220

cwood

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Guys,

I’m new to the forum and I’m currently looking at the 242 Limited SE’s (2018 and 2019). I have the following questions in which I’m looking for input:
  • Does anyone have a full list of changes from model year 2018 to 2019? I know about the reverse bucket changes and carpet, but is there anything else? Their website indicates a new sound system (wetsounds vs Polk), but the dealer says no. Also, (from a picture on their website) it looks like the passenger seat is now flush with the rear seats when facing rear.
  • I currently own a 2016 Cobalt 220. I’ve been happy with the boat, but there are several appealing things about the Yamaha... The swim platform area, the bow seating, shallow water capability, and opening options for saltwater adventures. Any input or opinions on the change?
  • My concerns are as follows:
    • The seats do not seem to be the same quality as the Cobalt. Any issues with the seat fabric?
    • I’ve heard many stories about the quality of ride on jet boats. Any input on what I can expect from the Cobalt 220 vs Yamaha 242 in rough water?
Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Perhaps you can put your location in your profile and if there is a friendly member close by a ride in a Yamaha will help you tremendously. I live in prop-boat central, in coastal NC and although I’ve not been in a Cobalt, I’ve been in Cobias, Sea Hunts, Gradys, Boston Whalers and Scouts.

My boat is a 2013, so I can’t comment on the newer Yamahas, but in comparison, the vinyl used on Gradys and Scouts, appear/feel more substantial and supple. In terms of ride quality comparative (in the mild coastal conditions I play in), there doesn’t seem to be a significant advantage in the prop-boats, except the 24’ Grady which is 2000 lbs heavier. I believe your “appealing things” are on target to the advantages of these boats.

The most compelling feature I’m interested in after 2 jetboats, is a quieter ride and I believe the new boat (post 2016) you are considering, will be important for you to experience the sound or lack thereof 1st hand.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Guys,

I’m new to the forum and I’m currently looking at the 242 Limited SE’s (2018 and 2019). I have the following questions in which I’m looking for input:
  • Does anyone have a full list of changes from model year 2018 to 2019? I know about the reverse bucket changes and carpet, but is there anything else? Their website indicates a new sound system (wetsounds vs Polk), but the dealer says no. Also, (from a picture on their website) it looks like the passenger seat is now flush with the rear seats when facing rear.
  • I currently own a 2016 Cobalt 220. I’ve been happy with the boat, but there are several appealing things about the Yamaha... The swim platform area, the bow seating, shallow water capability, and opening options for saltwater adventures. Any input or opinions on the change?
  • My concerns are as follows:
    • The seats do not seem to be the same quality as the Cobalt. Any issues with the seat fabric?
    • I’ve heard many stories about the quality of ride on jet boats. Any input on what I can expect from the Cobalt 220 vs Yamaha 242 in rough water?
Thanks in advance for the feedback!
You should take a ride in one if possible before the purchase. These boats are not for everyone, lol.
Coming from a newer Cobalt, sure the Yamaha 242 bow is huge and the swim platform is awesome but... you may not be too impressed with the vinyl and the noise, especially if you are doing a lot of cruising - these Yamahas cruise at 6,000RPM and are not exactly quiet (from factory). Not necessarily super bad, just different. And WAY louder than new outboards.

There are TONS of practical advantages to new Yamahas but you would be taking a step down as far as opulence.

--

cwood

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the input guys. I took a 2018 Limited SE for a quick test last weekend. While it was louder than the Cobalt at cruising speeds, I did not find it terribly loud. The boat seemed to “wander” at low speeds, but I guess I’d get used to that or look to some of the aftermarket options. The stereo is TERRIBLE, but that’s an easy (although not cheap) fix as well. I’m still considering options, but right now I see the 2019 as a better option. It’s $3K more expensive, but changes include audio upgrade, sea grass floor, and changes for improved reverse steering (at least this is what I understand). I do like the 2018 color scheme better, but I guess you can’t have it all! I’m nearly certain we will be making the change, I’m really interested in the Bimini trip and I definitely don’t feel comfortable doing that in my Cobalt!

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
There are upgrades you can get to help the low speed maneuvering and steering. I used Jet Boat Pilot. Cobra is another company lots of people use.

I have a'18 and I don't think the radio is terrible.... but have never owned a Cobalt so maybe I'm missing something. I'll bet you could get the '18 for more the $3K cheaper though.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
and changes for improved reverse steering (at least this is what I understand).
Very interested in your opinion if you test a boat w/the new 2019 pump nozzles. My understanding is this is a very substantial change, I would like to upgrade mine albeit the price is very high so I'm not in a rush.

--

Darrell

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It sure where you are in your decision. But I’m looking at very similar boats ‘19 Scarab and Yamaha, as well as CobLt R5 / 242 (couple years used). I’m leaning towards the Scarab for several reasons, from my view point the ride and interior fit and finish of both boats are of pretty great quality. Yamaha was catching a bad rap for a few years with “ok” interiors. But the ‘19 are very nice. I really like a number of things about the cobalts, but my main detractor is the ability or lack there of to surf behind it. I take an R5 out tomorrow (oct 5). And have previously taken out the Scarab/Yamaha and Vortex. If I could cherry pick a few options from all three I’d have the ideal boat!

cwood

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We ended up buying a 2018 242 Limited SE. I upgraded the audio system, added JBP thrust vectors, and added a stand alone GPS. While I think the overall quality of the Yamaha is less than the Cobalt, we couldn’t be happier with the boat. I think the Yamaha offers great value and there were many reasons that we chose the Yamaha: bow area is great, swim platform is awesome, ability to surf (purchased the wakebooster), and twin engine. I was originally concerned about noise level, but that has been a non issue, I really don’t notice it to be much louder than my previous Cobalt 220. We’ve had the boat on the water 3 times and I think we will really enjoy the boat. We’re also planning to attend a few of the gatherings next year to meet some of the folks on this board.

As a side note, I only looked at Yamaha jet boats as my past experience with other Yamaha products have been very good. Good luck with your buying decision!

Darrell

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks Cwood… I took the R5 out yesterday. and although very nice, still leaning towards the Scarab and the Yamaha myself. Just need to convince my wife of this!

Enjoy that Limited SE... very nice boat... I love the tower on it!

match308

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I went Yamaha after owning a Chaparral Vortex. Maintenance access meant a lot. No one would touch a Vortex, yet Yamaha boat mechanics are everywhere

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@cwood you know about the Bimini gathering right ?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We ended up buying a 2018 242 Limited SE. I upgraded the audio system, added JBP thrust vectors, and added a stand alone GPS. While I think the overall quality of the Yamaha is less than the Cobalt, we couldn’t be happier with the boat. I think the Yamaha offers great value and there were many reasons that we chose the Yamaha: bow area is great, swim platform is awesome, ability to surf (purchased the wakebooster), and twin engine. I was originally concerned about noise level, but that has been a non issue, I really don’t notice it to be much louder than my previous Cobalt 220. We’ve had the boat on the water 3 times and I think we will really enjoy the boat. We’re also planning to attend a few of the gatherings next year to meet some of the folks on this board.

As a side note, I only looked at Yamaha jet boats as my past experience with other Yamaha products have been very good. Good luck with your buying decision!
:Welcome:
Congrats on the new ride! Perhaps we'll see you in Bimini next year? :winkingthumbsup"

What did you do to upgrade the audio? We love to see how others spent their money....and to help them spend more!! LOL

cwood

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
:Welcome:
Congrats on the new ride! Perhaps we'll see you in Bimini next year? :winkingthumbsup"

What did you do to upgrade the audio? We love to see how others spent their money....and to help them spend more!! LOL
We are hopeful to make the Bimini trip in 2019 or 2020. I have a lot of lake experience, but nothing in the ocean. We may try a trip near Charleston / Hilton Head for starters.

For the audio system I went with the following (all JL Audio):
(2) M650's - 1 pair in bow and 1 pair in standard cockpit location
(2) M770's - 1 pair in swim platform and 1 pair added near front seats in cockpit
(2) M10IB5's
(1) MHD600/4
(1) MHD900/5
(1) remote know for sub's

Sound quality is awesome!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We are hopeful to make the Bimini trip in 2019 or 2020. I have a lot of lake experience, but nothing in the ocean. We may try a trip near Charleston / Hilton Head for starters.

For the audio system I went with the following (all JL Audio):
(2) M650's - 1 pair in bow and 1 pair in standard cockpit location
(2) M770's - 1 pair in swim platform and 1 pair added near front seats in cockpit
(2) M10IB5's
(1) MHD600/4
(1) MHD900/5
(1) remote know for sub's

Sound quality is awesome!
Did you put the 770s in the cockpit up front low or high? Not sure I've seen them fit up high, which is why I put 650s up high....perhaps they'd fit with a bezel?

cwood

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Did you put the 770s in the cockpit up front low or high? Not sure I've seen them fit up high, which is why I put 650s up high....perhaps they'd fit with a bezel?
They're mounted low. I'll take some pics when I'm on the boat again. I'd be interested to see where you mounted the 660's in a high location as well.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length