• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 ECU fried

ar240tg

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Two weeks ago, my starboard engine overheat sensor went off while idling on my 2019 AR240. I thought I had just sucked something up however that was not the case and the alarm kept going off so I idled back on one motor. I flushed it and blew the line out and still nothing, disconnected the batteries for a day or two and the alarm still went off. Long story short I dropped it off at the dealer and they said the ECU was fried.....somehow it got a little wet and its now shot. When they went to order the new part YAMAHA said it is backordered until August 30th.... which is obviously the end of the season. I tried every dealer on the east coast and nobody keeps it in stock. I even purchased the 5 year warranty and I think its extremely unacceptable for a large corporation to not have even one in stock. I'm trying to figure out if there are other part numbers that might work or not.... any help would be appreciated.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If they are in stock it makes me wonder if they just dont make many extras or there is a sudden problem!

ar240tg

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If they are in stock it makes me wonder if they just dont make many extras or there is a sudden problem!
exactly, for a 2019 with 120 hours to already go through an ECU is outrageous let alone to not have any replacements. That's why I'm wondering if I can use another years parts or something.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
That's BS!! Is Yamaha making your payment for the month that it's unusable??

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How did ECU get wet?

ar240tg

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That's BS!! Is Yamaha making your payment for the month that it's unusable??
I am trying for that, I said I make 12 months of payments for 4 months of use and now I am without it for half of the time. They should make more than that one payment in my eyes

ar240tg

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I do not buy it. I think @Julian has informed members that it may take several on/off cycles to clear alarms. Overheats are commonly caused by temporary blockages in pump and/or cooling system taking in sand/sediment. Hopefully, they are temporary.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Isn't the ecu a sealed unit?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Isn't the ecu a sealed unit?
I had a 2006 fx 140 hp waverunner that had a slow leak. It took on water while nearly beached one night. During the process of getting it running again I opened the box which contained its ecu and found about a teaspoon of water in it. This was in 2010, so maybe it happened or started to happen in before I bought it.

I think the water In the hull led to condensation in the box though the openings that the cables pass through. The cables come though rubber plugs with holes in the for the cables. Apparently the rubber plugs are not 100% effective at sealing off the box or the Rubber seal between the two Box half’s went bad (but there was no indication of that on my waverunner).

IMHO The ecu boxes are water resistant not water proof. That stated it cannot hurt to reseal the boxes with silicone around the edges Of the main seal and where the cables enter the box. From experience i know that ecus are expensive ($1,300 when I checked years ago), can be hard to find and cannot always be repaired. Whereas a tube of RTV silicone can be purchased from many different stores or online for about $7 and applying It can be done in 5 minutes or less.

Redneck_4Play

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Maybe Yamaha will give you a loaner boat......sorry, I must have fallen asleep and was dreaming.

ar240tg

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This is the first time I've heard of a bad ecu being the cause of an overheat alarm.

Are you at a dealer that services a LOT of Yamaha boats?
Yeah they sell out every year, never have leftovers and have a huge dealership. I agree, I thought it was weird as well but apparently they took it apart and it was soaked and corroded. I have been busy these past two weeks but I am going to pick it up today and check it out.

ar240tg

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Maybe Yamaha will give you a loaner boat......sorry, I must have fallen asleep and was dreaming.
Don't worry I am pushing that.... I actually might have a 2017 trade in this weekend. Only problem is now I won't have my sound system, which is a dagger. I would almost rather just putt around on one motor haha

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Check out carmo in Chico, Ca. They may be able to repair your ecu.

If you go the trade in route can’t you just put the oem head unit and speakers back in so that you can keep your upgrades for the next boat?

ar240tg

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Check out carmo in Chico, Ca. They may be able to repair your ecu.

If you go the trade in route can’t you just put the oem head unit and speakers back in so that you can keep your upgrades for the next boat?
I’ll look into that right now, thanks for that. I meant somebody traded in a 2017 to the dealer so they might let me borrow that for the weekend. I have a great relationship with them so they’re doing as much as they can. Sorry for the confusion but I wouldn’t trade this one in.... not yet at least haha

ar240tg

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The new ECU just arrived from Japan, so hopefully it will be installed today. Fingers crossed that that’s what the problem was

YamahaziPilot

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The new ECU just arrived from Japan, so hopefully it will be installed today. Fingers crossed that that’s what the problem was
Hopefully that's the fix. It would be a bummer to loose the rest of the boating season.