• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 AR210 Stiff Steering

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
While I am sure you think your tone validates your solution, it does not. The cables had issues all the way through, actually one sided, it is known problem from Dometic whom manufacturers the cables. It was more than corrosion and I always suspected Manufacturer Defect. I didn't spend a thousand it was a few hundred, and the new cables work flawlessly. Additionally Yamaha has issued a NO SELL on boats right now that have cables and a mass recalls, dealers have been instructed to not sell/Deliver the models with steering cables, until the parts are replaced. Dometic has had issues with their cables for years with quality. It is a fairly seen problem by many. The most current one could be also a safety issue. I personally have done mine and helped multiple people replace theirs and the issue is always the same.

Rather than make do with a component that could have issues at anytime, and something so important as steering, I would prefer to replace them, which I did. Now with the issues that have been happening with Dometic, the manufacturer of our steering cables, I feel that replacing was the prudent option. Additionally, when I replaced mine, they were still very hard to get and if something additionally happened I may have been down for the season.

And while I personally replaced mine, for those whom need them/want them replaced it is covered under 1st year and extended warranties, especially now as more information comes to light about Dometic and their product.
So, the replacement cables you installed, are they made by Dometic ? We’re they an upgraded / fixed cable?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
This was posted on a facebook page by Jeff Rider I wonder if this or something similar is the issue with the more recent steering cables and the common failure we keep reading about. 1681910194646.png

Maduro

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
While I am sure you think your tone validates your solution, it does not. The cables had issues all the way through, actually one sided, it is known problem from Dometic whom manufacturers the cables. It was more than corrosion and I always suspected Manufacturer Defect. I didn't spend a thousand it was a few hundred, and the new cables work flawlessly. Additionally Yamaha has issued a NO SELL on boats right now that have cables and a mass recalls, dealers have been instructed to not sell/Deliver the models with steering cables, until the parts are replaced. Dometic has had issues with their cables for years with quality. It is a fairly seen problem by many. The most current one could be also a safety issue. I personally have done mine and helped multiple people replace theirs and the issue is always the same.

Rather than make do with a component that could have issues at anytime, and something so important as steering, I would prefer to replace them, which I did. Now with the issues that have been happening with Dometic, the manufacturer of our steering cables, I feel that replacing was the prudent option. Additionally, when I replaced mine, they were still very hard to get and if something additionally happened I may have been down for the season.

And while I personally replaced mine, for those whom need them/want them replaced it is covered under 1st year and extended warranties, especially now as more information comes to light about Dometic and their product.
Well after a winter of not using my FSH my steering was bound. After the seafoam and marine lube my steering is like butter! If you use your boat you have to perform periodic maintenance. If you don’t lube the cables you have to replace them as well as many other components.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well after a winter of not using my FSH my steering was bound. After the seafoam and marine lube my steering is like butter! If you use your boat you have to perform periodic maintenance. If you don’t lube the cables you have to replace them as well as many other components.
I agree with you that maintenance on cables should be performed routinely , I also use toilet bowl ring wax and coat all of my external steering linkage and bucket linkeage every couple of outings, per the recommendations of @Cobra Jet Steering LLC . My point is that some of the steering cables we have, are defective, unfortunately. and if that is a probable case then replacement should be the option.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

Any idea what year/models apply to the recall? Or is it more of a service bulletin? I have the YES warranty and want to get them replaced, or at least have the dealer give me the new ones,

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
See the image above. They are only indicating 22 and 23

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
See the image above. They are only indicating 22 and 23
Ok thanks. I saw that. So previous years with the same POS Dometic cable don’t qualify. 👍

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know. Was it a mfg defect just in 2022 and 2023? or did it occur longer?
No info on that.

Bugslayer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So, my 2022 FSH 252 lives south of the border in Baja on the Sea of Cortez. I really rely on the input and insights that I find on this site. Very valuable! There are no dealers that I will be taking this boat to when there is a problem.

That said, when we got back down here the steering was very stiff.
Given the various threads on the subject I started gathering the materials to get some lube in the cable. Also doing the intermediate bearing while i was at it. Not an easy task down here to get the right size hose.

First thing I noticed was the rubber boot on the starboard side, closest to the transom looked all gouged up. Pulled the boots from bothe cables and sure as heck the boot was torn. It really looks to me like it was torn when it was originally pushed on. The port side looked in bad shape as well, but on the I.D. of the boot. Picture attached.
20240307_150214.jpg
Well the hose I found was 1/2" I.D. so it pushed on in place of the torn up boot. I had about six feet of hose so I cut it in half and hose clamped it in place of the bad boot and filled the 3 foot section of tube with light gear lube. Put an air fitting on and started ramping up the pressure. Started moving oil at 80 psi. Cheap clear poly tubing was getting a big aneurysm it at that pressure! Thought she would pop at any minute, lol.
It pushed quite a bit of oil up in the cable and didn't blow up.
With the hose clamp still attached up by the transom I cut the hose off to the length of where the second boot for the shaft goes.
I was able to install the second boot and then hose clamp the hose to that boot. Effectively making a clear reservoir for the gear oil and seal out water.....so far so good. Steering turns better than ever and no sign of water in the oil.
20240224_180030.jpg

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So, my 2022 FSH 252 lives south of the border in Baja on the Sea of Cortez. I really rely on the input and insights that I find on this site. Very valuable! There are no dealers that I will be taking this boat to when there is a problem.

That said, when we got back down here the steering was very stiff.
Given the various threads on the subject I started gathering the materials to get some lube in the cable. Also doing the intermediate bearing while i was at it. Not an easy task down here to get the right size hose.

First thing I noticed was the rubber boot on the starboard side, closest to the transom looked all gouged up. Pulled the boots from bothe cables and sure as heck the boot was torn. It really looks to me like it was torn when it was originally pushed on. The port side looked in bad shape as well, but on the I.D. of the boot. Picture attached.
View attachment 215960
Well the hose I found was 1/2" I.D. so it pushed on in place of the torn up boot. I had about six feet of hose so I cut it in half and hose clamped it in place of the bad boot and filled the 3 foot section of tube with light gear lube. Put an air fitting on and started ramping up the pressure. Started moving oil at 80 psi. Cheap clear poly tubing was getting a big aneurysm it at that pressure! Thought she would pop at any minute, lol.
It pushed quite a bit of oil up in the cable and didn't blow up.
With the hose clamp still attached up by the transom I cut the hose off to the length of where the second boot for the shaft goes.
I was able to install the second boot and then hose clamp the hose to that boot. Effectively making a clear reservoir for the gear oil and seal out water.....so far so good. Steering turns better than ever and no sign of water in the oil.
View attachment 215961
Very cool! I don’t I’ve seen anyone leave the tube on to make reservoir of oil. Great idea!

Bugslayer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Very cool! I don’t I’ve seen anyone leave the tube on to make reservoir of oil. Great idea!
Not sure if it's a great idea yet, so for now it's just an idea, lol.
I really couldn't think of another way to seal things with the rubber boot being torn up.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I really couldn't think of another way to seal things with the rubber boot being torn up.
Those rubber boots, at least on my boat don’t seal that well. I get water up in the steering cables now after a few seasons of use. In the shoulder season when over night temps are in the teens and twenties my steering is locked until after it’s in the water for a bit and the ice melts, once it melts it moves freely. So what you did is a huge improvement.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That’s a pretty good idea.
Usually things that leak don’t get sealed so they can dry out in between uses but these cables clearly have issues so that’s probably better than nothing. Curious to hear if it keeps the oil in or if it fills up with water over time.

jamesk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't know how you can really totally prevent water getting inside, the cable/rod needs to slide through the rubber boot. If the seal was tight so water could not get in, it would prevent it from moving. I replaced mine on my 2017 2 years ago, I tried using wax around the boot but even after 10 hours of use I can move the buckets back and forth and see water comming out from the boot. I had zero luck trying to force gear lube into the cable.