• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 252SE No sound from portside swim platform speaker...

ken4motion

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Hey all, before I take this to a dealer for service, thought that I could troubleshoot this on my own. The portside swim platform speaker has no sound. So I swapped the starboard with the port and still no sound. Is it possible that there is a damaged wire? I checked the plug on the Wet Sounds Amp and all looks good. I went through the screens to isolate the sound to the swim platform....there is no left to right balance setting, right??? One more observation was that as I raised the master system volume, the speaker would sound like it was trying to kick on as it briefly made sound....strange....thoughts???

20210312_154408.jpg

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Congratulations nice boat

Could be a bad connection or the amp, what ever it is will be covered under warranty

More Yamahas in Moriches bay will you launch from maple ave ?

20200906_161521.jpg

ken4motion

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Now that's something you don't see everyday....whoa!

I've launched out of Maple Ave only a handful of times. I now launch out of Moriches Yacht Club....nice private ramp!

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That is a great spot we were members for a short time. I used it as well eliminates the hassle with boat launch traffic and they have a hose there too. If you get bored of that area a great place to check out is Northwest landing rd in Easthampton. There is a suffolk county boat ramp no sticker needed that gives you access to shelter island 40 min mellow ride to the ramp grab lunch at salt then travel up the river to a legal water sports area in the center of shelter island, cant wait to go back

Friday, March 12, 2021.jpg

Last edited:

Leojay

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is a great spot we were members for a short time. I used it as well eliminates the hassle with boat launch traffic and they have a hose there too. If you get bored of that area a great place to check out is Northwest woods rd in Easthampton. There is a suffolk county boat ramp no sticker needed that gives you access to shelter island 40 min mellow ride to the ramp grab lunch at salt then travel up the river to a legal water sports area in the center of shelter island, cant wait to go back

View attachment 144147
That looks like a fun trip, I'm more of a Yamafisherman than watersports guy, great fishing near Gardiners Bay. Google sat maps does not show much parking at that East Hampton Ramp, is there sufficient trailer parking? Thanks

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Corrected its Northwest landing rd Parking for probably 80 trailers but I have never seen more than 2

Saturday, March 13, 2021.jpg

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The stereo is covered for 1 year, so get it fixed this year.

I'm going through this on my 242x....it has a blown channel on one of the amps.
How did you determine the amp was the problem? My 242X bow starboard speaker is super quiet barely works but may be blown? And the right side of my tower sound bar doesn’t seem like sound comes out at all but the sound system still pumps and is overall. I’m wondering if something is wrong with amp affecting front right speaker and also sound bar. Or if maybe I just have a blown speaker up there. Thanks for any help!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
How did you determine the amp was the problem? My 242X bow starboard speaker is super quiet barely works but may be blown? And the right side of my tower sound bar doesn’t seem like sound comes out at all but the sound system still pumps and is overall. I’m wondering if something is wrong with amp affecting front right speaker and also sound bar. Or if maybe I just have a blown speaker up there. Thanks for any help!
Well, first I assume it was just a blown speaker....so I ordered some JLs to replace the cabin speakers, and moved one of the cabins to the starboard bow speaker spot (interesting its the same spot as yours). The result....no sound out of the working moved speaker. Huh. So I wondered if there was a wiring issue, so I cut the wires at the amp and connected them directly from the amp to the known working speaker with 3 feet of known good wire....still no sound (ok....a very small amount of background sound). So I'm pretty sure its that channel on the amp.

I have already taken the sound bar out of series with the bow speakers and given it its own dedicated channel on an added amp that runs the new mid cabin speakers (4 channel Wetsounds amp). So now I have to decide if I do the easy (and cheap) thing and replace with a polk amp....or dump it and rewire for a JL amp.

I was about to go cheap....but now that I've seen you have the SAME issue, I wonder if it is a design problem with the amp and that channel frying first????

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
@ken4motion

This is pretty easy. Since we know the speaker is good we need to check for bad wire or bad channel. Just measure for Ohms at the amp for that channel. If it you get nothing - bad wiring. If you get ~4ohms - bad amp.

ken4motion

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
OK, I'll have to try testing for Ohms once it warms up again. In the meanwhile, I played around with the swim platform stereo controls and found that the one channel is dead here as well...20210320_181106.jpg

TexAg2010

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
OK, I'll have to try testing for Ohms once it warms up again. In the meanwhile, I played around with the swim platform stereo controls and found that the one channel is dead here as well...
I think our boats only have 3 zones: interior, swim platform, and sub.I haven’t played with the control at the platform, but I bet you found the one volume button that isn’t aligned to one of the three zones. As long as the other 3 work, all should be good?