• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

NEW MODEL INFO 2021 Yamaha 255 FSH - Julian's first impressions

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Unless you have a particular reason you require twins, in my opinion, gone are the days that you need twins for offshore reliability. Outboards are so reliable these days I would be comfortable with one even very far offshore. Furthermore, boat systems are so interconnected now more than half the failure points serve both engines so twins won’t help you in those cases.

My ultimate sub 28’ CC would be a single Yamaha 425. Best setup for efficiency and ease of service.
You would need twins for the joy stick steering. Not sure how much that costs but it's sure cool.

ptwb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You would need twins for the joy stick steering. Not sure how much that costs but it's sure cool.
I've read prices start at 10k+.

I grew up with a single outboard and handled it just fine, but I would miss the ability to spin on center.

johnpis

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Other
Keep in mind, used boat market prices right now are crazy high.

You have to decide what are you going to use the boat for the most. This can be tough and emotions can get in the way. Either type boat can be a compromise depending on what you want to do and if you are trying to accommodate multiple priorities. If you only want to wakesurf and hang out on sandbars and never fish, then the FSH is the one, but then what's the point, just get a real wakesurf or bowrider style boat, unless simply looking like a CC is also a high priority, and there are those that like the look of CCs but don't care to fish at all. Are you function over form or form over function? If you just want to fish, you really should just get a real fishing boat. But then what kind of fishing are you going to do? Offshore, inshore, bay, flats?

And then for those that want to do some of both. I don't care at all about wakesurfing but we do hang out a lot on sandbars, snorkelling, etc and I want to fish, and so my family is torn. If I was purchasing today, it's mostly narrowed down to either a Regal 26OBX or a Nauticstar 251 hybrid (maybe a Caymas 26HB).
Great adivice thanks! 100% freedive and spearfish...which is typically nearshore but willing to explore blue water spearfishing. I may get into rod n reel type fishing.. the only real concern has been...is this boat good in "rough water" like a comparable with size 24-25' outboard CC ... that's my gripe but I'm thinking what the heck just get new and be worry free for a while... problem with used is you are right prices have gone up likely do to COVID and im hesitant about buying someone else's problems...

wahoowah

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Same here..trim trab

I think that haulover pass on a bad day would be a good test run for the 255E..if I decide to purchase I'd install the trim tabs, thrust vectors and lateral thrusters....
Agreed on the trim tabs! I have them on my 210 with autoleveling and they help a lot.

wahoowah

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Which pass do you go thru? saw a couple of 21 fsh go thru Miami haul over. One did well, one didn’t.
Yeah, I saw a couple of those on a you tube video, the one did not look pleasant!

I go out of east pass in Destin. It's no haulover, but the right time of day with tides and the big charter boats going through, it can get nasty. For a while earlier this year we had a dredge sitting outside the pass as well which funneled boats, waves, and everything else into an even smaller area, worst I've ever seen it. Other days though, it can be smooth as glass. Just gotta know your area and pick your days/times like any small boat.

Mateo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hoping to get me 255 FSH Sport E this year. First time boater. This will be my retirement gift to my self. Will be taking it to Baja where I will retire in 2022. Cant wait to get it and start enjoying retirement.

Drag

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hoping to get me 255 FSH Sport E this year. First time boater. This will be my retirement gift to my self. Will be taking it to Baja where I will retire in 2022. Cant wait to get it and start enjoying retirement.
Have you put an order in yet?

Mateo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Have you put an order in yet?
Yes sir got my name on a list for one at a dealership in Oregon. Hopefully some of those make it to the West Coast this year. Do you have one yet?

Drag

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Have you put an order in yet? I put an order
Yes sir got my name on a list for one at a dealership in Oregon. Hopefully some of those make it to the West Coast this year. Do you have one yet?
i put an order in for the 252 fsh back on September 1st. Still waiting. Word is that they are having some supply issues with some of the parts that is delaying production. I don’t think any have been delivered yet. At least not that we heard.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I think some will be turned off by the Simrad by default option......some people are picky about the electronics they put in. They learn one brand and stick with them.
Very true... I’m putting together a comparison spread sheet for a friend of mine and that thought occurred to me. Then I thought if it was me, I’d just pull the Simrad and sell it to offset the cost of the unit I’d like. The Simrad and competitive models are all about the same price point.. One might have to change out the through hull transducer as well.

Having said all that, the Simrad looks to be a very capable unit with 2D sonar, down and side imaging along with tidal info, weather info etc.. it probably won’t communicate with other devices like trollers and down riggers though.

Overall, like most Yamaha boats, the value per dollar spent is very good! As a friend of mine likes to say about tge CC’s, they can do everything the others can, but the others can’t do everything the CC can.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Always get (within reason) the bigger engine option. With any kind of load and/or water conditions I bet the twin SVHOs are as or very likely more fuel efficient. Yes, they will be more expensive to purchase initially but will have better longevity as they will hold any speed with fat less effort. Our 38 foot cruiser was ordered with twin 502 Mercruiser Magnum engines. My friend had the same boat a year older with 377 Magnums. When loaded for cruising his boat struggled to get onto plane, revved waaay higher to stay there and burned 30% more fuel. he said the biggest boating mistake he ever made was to underpower it. As well for re-sale the extra power is a BIG plus. Sever racing legends I admire (Roger Penske and Reggie Fountain) have both said "I have never heard anyone complain they have too much horsepower!" Amen to that. Would never buy a Yamaha jet boat that didn't have the SVHO option. :cool:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Respectfully submitted.

The stochimetric requirement of an engine at idle, in this case two 1.8L engines, is the same. However once the SVHO engine starts to produce more power it’s going to consume more fuel.

While I try to always make apples to apples comparisons, after a quick search this was the best I could find in documented test results between two 25’ boats, the 252 SD (top chart) with twin 1.8L SHO’s and the 255 FSH Sport E with twin SVHO’s bottom chart. Wish there was a direct comparison between the 252 FSH Sport and the 255 FSH Sport E, I suspect boat test.com may do a test on the 252 FSH since boating did a test on the 255 FSH.. The two mags seem to have a friendly rivalry of testing boats. Unfortunately the testing parameters are never truly equal as temp and especially humidity play a big role in horsepower produced by an engine.

At 6000 rpm, the SVHO’s consume roughly 70% more fuel than their normally aspirated brethren. At 7400 rpm the SVHO’s consume slightly less than 70% more fuel than their normally aspirated counterpart. If the SVHO engine was turbocharged the increase in fuel consumption would be far less, but the engine mounted centrifugal supercharger is simple, and lightweight. The slight increase in efficiency of the SVHO’s at peak revs due to the fact that centrifugal type superchargers are most efficient at rated rpm’s as opposed to a screw type.

That being said, the difference in horsepower between these two engines is roughly 70 horsepower, or 39% more for the SVHO’s. For me I’d take the SVHO’s every time. Again, for me, boating is about performance, bring the fuel load up to 100%, and the crew and cargo load up to max and those SVHO engines are going to really shine by getting the boat up on plane quickly and still have great top speed. Toss in high altitude with the same fuel load and crew / cargo load and the normally aspirated engines performance will be less than stellar when compared to the SVHO’s. It all comes to power to weight ratio ...

A2C87796-ABC6-4500-9DF5-984469F7C9B2.png3D0F2099-D300-4DBB-85A5-964FA0813DBD.png

Drag

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Sounds like @FSH 210 Sport might be an engineer lol. Another way to look at this is comparing like speeds. So at roughly, 32 mph, the sho gets about 9% better mpg. At roughly, 43 mph, the sho would get roughly 18% better mileage. Not surprisingly, the sho has to work harder to get to the same speed as the svho.

btw, I have a confirmed order for the 252 fsh. I agree, very difficult to upgrade power after the fact. However, I had to stretch to justify going up to the 252, let alone to the 255.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Sounds like @FSH 210 Sport might be an engineer lol. Another way to look at this is comparing like speeds. So at roughly, 32 mph, the sho gets about 9% better mpg. At roughly, 43 mph, the sho would get roughly 18% better mileage. Not surprisingly, the sho has to work harder to get to the same speed as the svho.

btw, I have a confirmed order for the 252 fsh. I agree, very difficult to upgrade power after the fact. However, I had to stretch to justify going up to the 252, let alone to the 255.

Not an engineer LOL! Just a gear head!

That’s awesome you are getting the 252!!!!! I’m sure it will be an outstanding boat for you!

With 360hp at your disposal I’m sure you will be happy, and you will use less fuel to boot! Where are you boating at in WI?

Be sure and send us a pictorial of the new ride when it arrives and in action!!

Tahoeboyd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
just drop in on this conversation. How are the Yamaha SVHO super charge engines, as far as reliability? I grew up around Turbos and supercharge engines. They just don't have the longevity like normally aspired motors. At least on automotive anyway.

bulldog2009

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
curious for FSH 255 E owners out there. with the 111 gallon tank how long are you able to go before filling up???

Scott Kell

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That depends on how you use that tank of fuel. The meter says it’s averaging 1.8 mpg. I’m still not convinced it is accurate.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That depends on how you use that tank of fuel. The meter says it’s averaging 1.8 mpg. I’m still not convinced it is accurate.
When you say it is not accurate, do you feel the number is low or too high?

bulldog2009

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
where I live that is going to cost me about $600 to fill it up. Reading on line it says to put in Premium. Is that the case or do you put in regular?