• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2022 255XD Question

Fred Schubert

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Hello Jet Boaters,
We are looking at the new 255XD. We currently own a 2021 Tige ATX 24, amazing wave but the lake we are on is too shallow at our dock area for a 29" daft boat. The 255 has a 18" draft which is perfect. We had a 2015 Chaparral jet boat that was nearly impossible to turn, hard to get off the launch on a busy day without issues. The sit and spin while idle no matter what you do made it so hard to dock for gas. So our family of surfers are hoping the newer models have cleared those issues up.
I'm sure we can get a decent wave to surf with the proper added weight and invested time. But,
1. Do the new models idle without spinning or going forward as soon as the engine starts?
2. Do they steer better a low speeds in no wake zone or unloading off the trailers on a busy day?
3. Any issues we should consider going from a specific surf prop boat to the specific surf jet boat?
4. I'm sold on the idea of the jet boat as our lake is windy, choppy and has very shallow shore line where we live. But once out in the main lake its up to 150FT deep. Sounds like the Yamaha may be the perfect boat for our lake. We would appreciate any input.
Thank You

1. They still very slightly move forward even in neutral. So they will spin if they wheel isn't straight.
2. Can't speak for the Chaparral, but there have been pretty big improvements in the Yamahas. Add in a Cobra Jet steering and you should never have issues.
3. Based on what I have seen, the Yamaha will still have a pretty inferior wave.

I agree with Adrian.

You will be disappointed with the wave ANY jet boat throws in comparison to a dedicated wake boat. CAN you get it to throw a wave....YES....but it will be lots more work and it will never be as clean as a wake boat.

That said.....when you raft up with your buddies wake boat....they will all be floating behind your boat's stern as it is so much more inviting and functional.

Huge help thanks. Any major mechanical issues we should watch out for?

Huge help thanks. Any major mechanical issues we should watch out for?

None that I am aware of on the new boats. There was a timing chain issue on the early teens boat 2014ish (not sure on year). These engines are pretty solid.

Hello Jet Boaters,
:Welcome:
We are looking at the new 255XD. We currently own a 2021 Tige ATX 24, amazing wave but the lake we are on is too shallow at our dock area for a 29" daft boat. The 255 has a 18" draft which is perfect.
While jetboat companies love to brag about the shallow draft, that's only while floating. When you want to start and run the engines, you need to be in about 30" of water (manual says 3ft/36") to avoid sucking up debris into the jet intake which is like a vacuum on the bottom of the boat. Don't think you can toodle around in 20" of water and not ruin your pump. Many careless people have driven their new jetboat or jetski onto a beach and sucked up a ton of sand/gravel and damaged their jetpumps thinking it's ok because it's got an 18" draft - nope. I read about one who drove in a shallow 2ft area and literally tore off the articulating keel rudder damaging the transom.
We had a 2015 Chaparral jet boat that was nearly impossible to turn, hard to get off the launch on a busy day without issues. The sit and spin while idle no matter what you do made it so hard to dock for gas.
Chap uses the BRP engines and pumps which will spin when in neutral and the steering is turned. Keep the steering straight and you won't spin. Many users like having that kind of control. You just need to practice and learn how it handles. Also if it moves fore or aft when in "neutral" then the buckets need adjusting to balance the forward/reverse thrust to an equalized "neutral". Newer Chaps have a neutral adjustment so you can tap a button and adjust it electronically.

Yamaha uses their own engines and pumps and they don't really spin in neutral...they will turn a bit, but nothing like the BRP. They're more like regular I/O drives except for the jetpump is always engaged. Same fore/aft movement balance. A couple of wrenches and you can adjust the buckets on Yamaha's too. Mine have been perfect since day one and now 2 seasons in still "neutral".

If you're looking for wake, keep what you have as you'll probably be disappointed with the Yamaha which is a great all around usage boat, but not a great wake boat. We love ours, but we're not surfers so general use, tubing, skiing, boarding it's great.

As the JBP video shows, you can be in very shallow water with no concerns, as long as you are in gear. Being in Neutral becomes your issue.

Hello Jet Boaters,
We are looking at the new 255XD. We currently own a 2021 Tige ATX 24, amazing wave but the lake we are on is too shallow at our dock area for a 29" daft boat. The 255 has a 18" draft which is perfect. We had a 2015 Chaparral jet boat that was nearly impossible to turn, hard to get off the launch on a busy day without issues. The sit and spin while idle no matter what you do made it so hard to dock for gas. So our family of surfers are hoping the newer models have cleared those issues up.
I'm sure we can get a decent wave to surf with the proper added weight and invested time. But,
1. Do the new models idle without spinning or going forward as soon as the engine starts?
2. Do they steer better a low speeds in no wake zone or unloading off the trailers on a busy day?
3. Any issues we should consider going from a specific surf prop boat to the specific surf jet boat?
4. I'm sold on the idea of the jet boat as our lake is windy, choppy and has very shallow shore line where we live. But once out in the main lake its up to 150FT deep. Sounds like the Yamaha may be the perfect boat for our lake. We would appreciate any input.
Thank You
I own a 2021 255xd. Had some growing pains with the boat on receiving and was a covid boat. Lots of sloppy workmanship. Still love my boat but was def growing pains first season of ownership.

1. You can idle and not move. The way the buckets are positioned in neutral i find my boat doesnt move unless by current/wind etc.

2. I have no problem steering my boat low speeds and no wake. Both with and without aftermarket steering fins. You just have to get used to how a jet drive works. I dont power load or unload my boat NEVER. I dont want to risk pulling shit off the ramp into my pumps.

3. You wont make the wave your dedicated surf boat does. Just not possible with the tech. Can it make a good wave? Yes. Photos provided.

4. Ive been in 2ft of water no issues. You have to be moving. Dont sit idling as this causes the votex you see in that video.

Picture i provided are of a member of fb group that has his boat dialed in. Needed extra ballast, i can put the specs in later. Ive also included picture of my boat in subpar depth water. I only have 10-12ft tops in my bay, i need to seek outy deeper water, as 15ft and above is where the wave really increases. You have 150ft...shouldnt be a problem to make a wave with just additional ballast like Dustins setup.

Attachments

• dustin 1.PNG
    dustin 1.PNG
    865.7 KB · Views: 35
  • dustin 2.PNG
    dustin 2.PNG
    644.2 KB · Views: 33
  • dustin 3.PNG
    dustin 3.PNG
    729.3 KB · Views: 36
  • dustin 4.PNG
    dustin 4.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
  • our boat.PNG
    our boat.PNG
    709.7 KB · Views: 34
Thank you for all the great comments on jet boats. We were lucky enough to find one available that should be delivered middle of July 2022 if we are lucky. deposit down and the Tige up for sale. The Yamaha is a better choice for the conditions of our lake, along with knowing we have this great forum for support was the deciding factor. We water ski and wake board more than we surf anyway, and half the day is on a sandbar up here on all these Northern Michigan Lakes, the shallow draft will make the boating lifestyle even better.

:Welcome:

While jetboat companies love to brag about the shallow draft, that's only while floating. When you want to start and run the engines, you need to be in about 30" of water (manual says 3ft/36") to avoid sucking up debris into the jet intake which is like a vacuum on the bottom of the boat. Don't think you can toodle around in 20" of water and not ruin your pump. Many careless people have driven their new jetboat or jetski onto a beach and sucked up a ton of sand/gravel and damaged their jetpumps thinking it's ok because it's got an 18" draft - nope. I read about one who drove in a shallow 2ft area and literally tore off the articulating keel rudder damaging the transom.

Chap uses the BRP engines and pumps which will spin when in neutral and the steering is turned. Keep the steering straight and you won't spin. Many users like having that kind of control. You just need to practice and learn how it handles. Also if it moves fore or aft when in "neutral" then the buckets need adjusting to balance the forward/reverse thrust to an equalized "neutral". Newer Chaps have a neutral adjustment so you can tap a button and adjust it electronically.

Yamaha uses their own engines and pumps and they don't really spin in neutral...they will turn a bit, but nothing like the BRP. They're more like regular I/O drives except for the jetpump is always engaged. Same fore/aft movement balance. A couple of wrenches and you can adjust the buckets on Yamaha's too. Mine have been perfect since day one and now 2 seasons in still "neutral".

If you're looking for wake, keep what you have as you'll probably be disappointed with the Yamaha which is a great all around usage boat, but not a great wake boat. We love ours, but we're not surfers so general use, tubing, skiing, boarding it's great.

Hi ,
Thats a problem. Our Tige is in a lift in 42" depth but it so far out in the lake we need to take a rowboat out. It's doable but just a pain when you have a crew going out for the day. If we move the lift to the dock we will be in about 28" of water so that's still an issue. We could potentially get stuff sucked up by just pulling out of the lift from what I'm reading here. It can be super windy on little glen lake and most times we need to be underpower to pull out, turn and head to deeper water so we don't end up on a sand bar. It happens a lot then you jump out and push.

Hi ,
Thats a problem. Our Tige is in a lift in 42" depth but it so far out in the lake we need to take a rowboat out. It's doable but just a pain when you have a crew going out for the day. If we move the lift to the dock we will be in about 28" of water so that's still an issue. We could potentially get stuff sucked up by just pulling out of the lift from what I'm reading here. It can be super windy on little glen lake and most times we need to be underpower to pull out, turn and head to deeper water so we don't end up on a sand bar. It happens a lot then you jump out and push.
Depends on the bottom surface. I've had no issues underpower just in wake mode in 2ft of water to get out from where we anchor on sandbars etc. Just have to be smart about it. I watch behind the boat constantly and also keep eye on my pissers to make sure I'm good. Debris and rope and other shit on the bottom is a different story.

Last edited:
Back