• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to avoid clogging your engine with sand

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks to @JetBoatPilot for recording the video below!

So the sales guy sold you your jet boat saying you can run it in 18 inches of water. So you sat at the sand bar and did just that and now have an overheat warning?

Yes, jet boats can run in skinny water, but you must remember that they are like giant vaccuums. If you sit in one spot, they will suck sand off the bottom. And because you have low flow, that sand is much more likely to get stuck in a cooling passage.

Running fast across shallow water wont suck up sand (you just risk hitting something or grounding the boat).

So keep this in mind when running your jet boat shallow. I always push my boat back off the sand bar and THEN start it in deeper water.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Definitely good information.

Prodock

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Great info. Kind of wish I saw it yesterday. Lol. That is exactly what I believe I did today.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When you say deeper water approximately what depth are you referring to?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That is such a great video . Even better would be showing reverse directing water down blowing everything loose allowing even more to be sucked up. I don’t even know if you could see what’s happening . The big question is at about 20 mph is it pulling clean water when the hull is 1 foot off the bottom . There’s an area that I boat in occasionally and has 18 to 24 “ of water for a few miles . Only issue is the sea grass gets sucked in and starts to cause cavitation there are several dredged channels that I cross and can stop clean out the grass if needed and power back up . You can’t stop in the shallow 18” water the boat needs deeper water to get on plain .

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The big question is at about 20 mph is it pulling clean water when the hull is 1 foot off the bottom
I have no proof of this, but I would say emphatically yes it is pulled clean water. Think about the physics of the movement, there is no opportunity for the boat to do anything other than scoop the surface 6 inches of water.

The video above is sitting in one spot creating a vortex. Did you see how quickly the vortex stopped as soon as the boat began moving?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I have no proof of this, but I would say emphatically yes it is pulled clean water. Think about the physics of the movement, there is no opportunity for the boat to do anything other than scoop the surface 6 inches of water.

The video above is sitting in one spot creating a vortex. Did you see how quickly the vortex stopped as soon as the boat began moving?
Did the boat start moving or did the engines stop. I noticed that too and assumed it stopped. Also, I cringed hard when he put his hand near the grates...

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Did the boat start moving or did the engines stop. I noticed that too and assumed it stopped. Also, I cringed hard when he put his hand near the grates...
The voice over says the boat was put into forward and started moving.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The voice over says the boat was put into forward and started moving.
It looked to still be running as you could see a little debris still moving as his hand is moving to the intake grate.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So where exactly does that stuff go?

my wife beached the boat the other day on an island - tried to reverse out without pushing off too far, and on enginethrottle got stuck in reverse.

she got it home on the other engine.

I checked both impeller areas, they seem OK. Took boat out, jiggled the stock throttle several times till it let me go back to neutral, then turned that engine fine.

forward works fine both sides but run reverse I’m not sure I’m doing a whole lot other than revving the engine - on either side.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Candlewood Blakes , it goes up into the intake, which means it is then in your impellers, gets sucked into your cooling system, and some gets spit back out the jets.

In your situation, it sounds like you have a rock between the gate and the jet. When you beach with the rear to the beach, that can happen. Go to the back of the boat and giggle both gates up and down. They should move freely through the entire range. Don't try to force it at the helm--that is a good way to break a cable... My bet is one of your gates is stuck because there is a little rock or shell or piece of wood from the beach that got stuck.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So where exactly does that stuff gom
It goes with the flow of the cooling water. A large amount of cooling water goes through channels in the exhaust manifolds; some goes into a reservoir inside the cylinder head, then out through the thermostat; a restricted hose allows flow around the cylinders. It is in the cylinder water jackets where the sediment/sand can build up over time. This is the most difficult area to flush out.

Saltydog

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So where exactly does that stuff go?

my wife beached the boat the other day on an island - tried to reverse out without pushing off too far, and on enginethrottle got stuck in reverse.

she got it home on the other engine.

I checked both impeller areas, they seem OK. Took boat out, jiggled the stock throttle several times till it let me go back to neutral, then turned that engine fine.

forward works fine both sides but run reverse I’m not sure I’m doing a whole lot other than revving the engine - on either side.
The rod that attached the fwd and reverse cable to the fwd and reverse bucket. It has a u shaped bracket. There is a slide that must be pushed toward the bow to separate the rod from the bucket. It's much easier to get to this slide when the u shaped bracket is in the "U" shape- BUT- it gets the bucket stuck in reverse. Rotate the U shaped bracket 180 degrees to now look like an "n" shaped bracket. Harder to get to the slide but now will not get stuck.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
(also, always use the slide to separate the cable from the bucket. if you don't realize there is a slide there and unscrew the cable, you will snap your cable when you re-attach it... ask me how I know.)

Saltydog

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oh oh oh how do you know?
I feel you man. With each item completed on the to-do list = 2 items added somedays

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length