• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

21' bleeds-off speed badly in turns

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Had the kids on an inner tube behind our new 212x Friday for the 1st time. My old I/O didn't loose much speed when turning, but my new boat will go from 27 mph down to 15 while turning and then take several seconds to get back up on plane once I straighten the boat back out. My kids are 10 and 8 and the tube is not one of the gigantic ones either. Is this normal?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Jets are a different breed. You need to power up in the turns or it will slowly bleed off speed. The tighter you turn the more it will bleed off so the more throttle input is required to hold or continue a hard sharp turn. This is amplified by the load on your boat or pulling someone.

I might be mistaken but I think adding Cobra fins helps with this. Someone familiar with them can chime in.

viper15

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
X2 .... Pulling tubers is different that pulling a skier or wakeboarder. For pulling skiers and wakeboarders, you essentially drive straight and try to maintain a steady speed. Tubers is altogether different. It's all about turning and speed changes to provide a fun ride for the tubers. So you end up doing a lot of throttle adjustments through harder turns. I think jets scrub off speed a bit more than a prop, so you'll do more power compensation than you are used to.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With jets i turn less when pulling tubers but use rapid left right steering to use the jet wash to push them around. They like it. Cam.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is my biggest (one of a very few) complaints about our 21'.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
How do you guys keep the rope from diving into the jet wash? I've considered buying the "SportsStuff 4K Booster Ball" that mounts midway through the tow rope, but that + the inner tube will take up a ton of room on-board. After seeing the way the rope dives into the wake on these boats, I need to do something. When the rope pops back out of the water, it jerks the tube / kids pretty bad!

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
How do you guys keep the rope from diving into the jet wash? I've considered buying the "SportsStuff 4K Booster Ball" that mounts midway through the tow rope, but that + the inner tube will take up a ton of room on-board. After seeing the way the rope dives into the wake on these boats, I need to do something. When the rope pops back out of the water, it jerks the tube / kids pretty bad!
That is my biggest struggle as well... I thought I read on here that ball didn't do much... if I could get that figured out would make it much more enjoyable for people to tube

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
I think I saw a pic of @Julian using the blow up rope ball thingy in a picture recently... maybe he can provide some insight.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The ball helps a ton...especially when towing big tubes! When I tow smaller tubes I use the tower, but when the Bandwagon 2+2 comes out so does the booster ball. The ball takes up very little room....not much more than a tow rope does.

These are action shots from Monday:FB_IMG_1496111723561.jpg FB_IMG_1496111734106.jpg FB_IMG_1496111718847.jpg

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
How does it work when pulling a smaller tube? It keeps the rope from getting caught in the wake right? That's my problem when turning even a little it digs into the wake and creates slack and jerks the tube around... does it help at all with the spray?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
How does it work when pulling a smaller tube? It keeps the rope from getting caught in the wake right? That's my problem when turning even a little it digs into the wake and creates slack and jerks the tube around... does it help at all with the spray?
Works great regardless of the size tube you are pulling. Actually probably works even better with smaller tubes....I just pull the smaller tubes from my tower now....but on my SX230 I'd use it for all the tubes and it helps getting the tube to whip back and forth without dragging through the wake/jetwash.

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Works great regardless of the size tube you are pulling. Actually probably works even better with smaller tubes....I just pull the smaller tubes from my tower now....but on my SX230 I'd use it for all the tubes and it helps getting the tube to whip back and forth without dragging through the wake/jetwash.
Awesome!! I'm going to order one tonight! Thanks for the feedback!!

eticket

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've got the ball as well and highly recommend it for better tube towing.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
This is what you need to know about the speed "bleed" as you turn, it is from groupk.com which is awesome for the 2 smoke boats and really helped me a ton on my exciter.
About Pump Loading

All technicians that build high performance PWCs quickly learn a few fundamental rules about PWC pump function. As you engage a jet-pump driven watercraft in to a high-speed (power-on) left hand turn, the engine/pump gets very heavily loaded, and engine rpms are usually “pulled down”. However, making a right hand turn at exactly the same speed results in no rpm loss at all … and often results in an rpm increase, often accompanied by mild cavitation.

The reason for this phenomenon is that the entry angle of water coming in towards the impeller has a big effect on how well the pump get “loaded”. In left hand turns, the water comes toward the prop at an angle that very effectively “loads” the pump with water, and allows for very minimal “cavitation”. A hard right hand turn has exactly the opposite effect because the water is coming in toward the prop in a way that is very “unfriendly” to pump loading. Anyone who has driven a single engine Exciter 135 will experience this phenomenon in a big way. Using aftermarket impellers with a better blade/hub design can greatly reduce the cavitation experienced under all conditions …including in right hand turns. But even the best designed prop cannot eliminate right-turn cavitation altogether.

Twin Engine Pump Loading

The phenomenon described above affects the twin motor jet boats in an entirely different way. The water intake surfaces on the bottom of twin motor hulls are on angled surfaces on each side of the hull. This “angled water entry” gives an effective entry angle that mimics the pump loading of turning the boat. This means that (while driving in a straight line) the drivers side pump (starboard) is receiving water at an angle that mimics a left hand turn (thus loading the engine rpms down). At the same time, the passenger side (port) impeller is receiving water at an angle that mimics a right hand turn (resulting in higher rpms and a closer cavitation threshold). This is why the left (port) motors of most twin-engine Yamaha jet-boats tend to run higher rpms than the right (starboard) engines.

Getting past the whole theoretical aspect, the functional result is what’s important.. Because of the phenomenon described above, the right side pump is generating more actual thrust than the left pump at any given rpm. This causes the steering wheel to constantly be “tugging” toward a left hand turn, and at the same time causes the left side engine to rev higher than the right engine in order to generate the same thrust.

After weeks of testing, we eventually resolved all these problems (on twin motor Yamahas) by fitting better design impellers on the pumps, and applying a noticeably steeper pitch to the left hand side prop. The end result is engines that turn virtually identical rpms all the way through the throttle movement range, and an end to the steering wheel constantly “tugging” to the left. In most cases, the “off-the-shelf” pitch of the props we chose were not right on the money, so we custom pitch each pair that we sell to the specs that worked best during our on-water tests. Installing these “staggered pitch” aftermarket impellers is one of the most effective improvements that you can make to your twin motor Yamaha jet-boat.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Our tow rope does catch in the wake but it doesn't seem to be a problem for me. Perhaps it is due to where I like the tube to be relative to the wake. Since my boat kicks up such a spray in the middle of the wake many kids complain that the spray hurts their face (our favorite tube is a 3 person lay-down tube so their face is the only thing the spray can hit) so I have made it a habit never to allow the tube to ride in the middle of the wake. I like to swing the tube from side to side all the time. Sometimes the tube swings out of the wake completely while sometimes it is on the outer edge of the wake, but never in the middle. So normally the tube is transitioning from side to side, the rope may catch but not for long, and if it snaps as it releases I haven't noticed it. The line is always taught. There is no jerking the tube. By the way I normally tow a tube at about 22 mph, slower for little kids.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just ordered a SportsStuff Booster Ball. I'll report back how well it works for us. Thanks for the advice guys!

leizearmx

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian why don't you pull the big tube from the tower? I have only had my boat out a couple times and have yet to pull anything with it as it has been monsoon weather here in upstate NY. I have a 2 person and 3 person lay down tubes.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
This is my first boat that has a tower. Everything I've read states that tubes need to be pulled from the tow point on the stern. Only skiers, wake boarders, and surfers can be pulled from the tower. The boat's manual states that there should be no more that 350LBS pulled by the tower, otherwise you may cause damage to the tower's mounting points. This is likely factory safety overkill, but I'd rather play it safe and just use the boat's tow point for the tubers.

leizearmx

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is my first boat that has a tower. Everything I've read states that tubes need to be pulled from the tow point on the stern. Only skiers, wake boarders, and surfers can be pulled from the tower. The boat's manual states that there should be no more that 350LBS pulled by the tower, otherwise you may cause damage to the tower's mounting points. This is likely factory safety overkill, but I'd rather play it safe and just use the boat's tow point for the tubers.
OK good enough!! I have seen that warning but didn't know if you had experienced anything while trying to pull it from the tower. Thanks!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length