• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242 GPS is drive control not at speed

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So when I set the Drive Control on my 242, it has consistently been running the boat 1-2 MPH slower than the set speed. I took it into my dealer for the end of season warranty work, and they are telling me Mother Yamaha says this is normal.

Has anyone else hears of this?

Here’s a pic of what it typically looks like. In the pic, you’ll see the target speed is 19.6mph, while the Connexf speed is only showing 18. Additionally, note that the actual speed based on my Garmin is only 17.9.

Thoughts?

8BB5C759-CB1F-494A-94ED-F958C0AB426B.jpeg

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Mine if usually off by 1/2 - 1 mph slower than my target speed - which is hard to tell sometimes because the main MPH doesn't show the tenths. I have noticed that it does adjust the speed when you click up or down from your set speed, so it doesn't bother me at all as I couldn't tell 22 from 23mph if you paid me. It would be most noticeable for Surfing speeds...but again...just find the set speed that produces the best wave and ignore the speedo speed, or visa versa.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sounds like how the system was programmed. Perhaps a lawyer thing to ensure the speed does not exceed the target. I can say that my ridesteady after market system will overshoot at times but that it can be adjusted to be more or less aggressive in how quickly it adjusts to get back to target. The more agressive the more likleyhood of a minor over or undershoot but it gets back to target quicker. Point being that each system will have its pluses and minuses.

It sounds like @Jualin has a solid recommendation for achieving the target speed you desire.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With RideSteady the "target" and the observed speed seems to be always spot on, down to .1mph. It will vary temporarily - when ramping up (overshooting and correcting) and fluctuate in turns, but it runs completely true to GPS after a quick correction.

Like @Mainah said, these systems can be calibrated to stick with the target in a more or less aggressive/forgiving manner. Same with the Perfect Pass.

I think that a consistent 2mph discrepancy (~10%) is ridiculous in that range. It would drive me crazy. I'm a terrible wakeboarder but I can easily tell a difference between 18 and 20mph, it is not that subtle.

--

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I thought it was odd that it's be off by so much. On my old boat the Perfect Pass System was usually within 1-2 tenths of a mile per hour that the GPS read. As Julian said above, this one will adjust the speed up/down however it seems strange that it would still run with a 10% error...on a boat that's designed to be used for tow sports...

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah....it is strange that it is off at all. I could understand it if the boats GPS speedo and the set speed matched, and they were different than the Garmin, but when the boat itself knows it isn't matched....is strange. My bet is the new models do a better job of aligning the speed....perhaps they can update our SW eventually? But again...for me...its no biggie. But I am also one of those who never worried about throttle sync....so it will bother some people! :)

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If the actual is always about 1 mph less than the target than just bump the target up 1 mph. If the absolute variance from target is greater than 1 mph, that would be annoying. My target speed will vary from 18 to 22 mph in one mph increments depending on how smooth the water is.

That said I am a decent boarder and find that what I do behind the line and water conditions have greater impact on my performance. Case in point on Thursday I was doing just fine with short lead ups to jump the wake in glass conditions with a target and actual speed if 22 mph. On my first long and very fast lead up for a full wake to wake I landed board tail down too far and was able to save it with my right hand as an outrigger. On my second wake to wake attempt I over corrected and landed ahhh rather crashed board nose down. I think my left ear still had water in it the next day after that second one. Those mistakes were all me and would have happened even with a 2 mph difference.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With RideSteady the "target" and the observed speed seems to be always spot on, down to .1mph. It will vary temporarily - when ramping up (overshooting and correcting) and fluctuate in turns, but it runs completely true to GPS after a quick correction.

Like @Mainah said, these systems can be calibrated to stick with the target in a more or less aggressive/forgiving manner. Same with the Perfect Pass.

I think that a consistent 2mph discrepancy (~10%) is ridiculous in that range. It would drive me crazy. I'm a terrible wakeboarder but I can easily tell a difference between 18 and 20mph, it is not that subtle.

--
Now I need to learn how to mess with the overshooting settings. I've been wondering how to change all that in settings. Another great reason I like Ridesteady, more features I haven't even messed with.