• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

252SD fixed Bimimi Towing

Beernut0875

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I'm looking for real world practicality regarding the bimini top and towing. I understand Yamaha recommends <45 mph with it up. It was suggested to me, leaving the bimini on, but folding down the tower to haul. Same person said to use shipping brackets to secure. Anyone do this? Sounded sketch to me.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
252SD should be very similar to the 242 SE. I just take the bimini canvas off, don't fold the tower.

kbell413

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I take the canvas off my 255XE whenever towing on the highway. The tower stays up in it's usual position.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Smaller boat, but we have towed from Atlanta to Siesta Key with the mooring cover on and the tower up as well as from Atlanta to ME with the shipping cover and brackets with the tower lowered. I prefer the tower up.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
242 SE here. I got the boat recently, but I've been trailering with the bimini up. But the highways here are top speed 55mph and I keep around 50-55mph in the middle lane and let people pass me. It's about 10 minutes on the highway each way. I figure its a 50-52 mph boat and people drive that boat at 50mph and there's no difference if its behind my truck doing 50.

BlueBulls

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I tow from the house to several lakes up to an hour away and leave the top on - I try to keep it at 60 mph or so and have never had any issues over three years. For longer tows, like to Orange Beach or Panama City from East Tennessee, I take the top off but leave the tower up. I have the shipping brackets as well but I really don't see the benefit of lowering the tower for an extra foot of clearance; I also like to leave my speakers with the pointy end in the wind.

I definitely wouldn't want to fold the tower but leave the bimini on like a giant sail.