• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

255 xd delivery and something isnt right?

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Took delivery of my 255xd today. Noticed something on inspection...dealer didnt have an answer. The nozzles on this boat dont look right. I know with surfpointe they will have a inward pitch on both. That all fine and dandy. Mine has the left (port side) drastically pointed in. The right side (starboard) is barely pointed in. Articulated keel is dead nuts center. Steering wheel is dead nuts centered. Theres no way this boat is going to track straight like this. Anyone have a way to measure or what the measurements should be for alignment? Dealer relations cant get a tech guy on phone current, and Im sitting with a 93k paperweight lol.

Pictures provided.

Im just dumbfounded that is was sent out like this.

Attachments

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is definitely not right. Surprised the dealer didnt have an answer for you. You can adjust the angle the nozzle is facing manually from the right side of the bucket. Do a search on nozzle alignment here and several will pop up. @Leojay has a good article on doing just that if you search for it.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Surfpointe, from what I've heard, is 1/8" toe in. But on both nozzles. You can move them straight if you want. If you have the toe in done properly, it'll track straight.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm more dumbfounded the dealer didn't address this and let you just drive away with it, then again it's what dealerships have become known for,

It should be an easy fix, on the older boats, just undo the steering cable and adjust it accordingly, I'm looking in my manual to see if I have a picture,

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
This has electric steering, so not sure if same procedure.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
The nozzles don't move/turnable until boat is running

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Wicked92 Do the realign themselves once you fire up the boat both engines?

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Looking at the pumps the controls still look mechanical. Sure somewhere along the lines electrical takes over, but when the the rubber meets the road......looks the same from what I can see.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2021 nozzles edit.jpg

I could certainly be wrong, I don't know about electrical steering but you should be able to adjust the starting angle where the steering cable meets the block at the nozzle,

now do we see it offset in it's "sleep" mode and it will reset when to a correct alignment when you turn the power on ???

1620333268888.png

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That doesn't look right....easy enough to fix, but the dealer should have just done that! That is why you paid a dealer setup fee!
The hydraulic steering shouldn't impact the alignment of the pumps - but it would be easy enough to test. Just start up the boat and move the steering.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
So had to leave it at the dealership. What they thought would be an easy fix isnt. They got the measurements. They are from base plate of jet pump to centerline of bolt that attaches to steering nozzle. Left side 11.3 Right side 12.3 with a straight steering wheel and aligned keel. My center of steering is off, as they adjusted to correct but now the steering wheel was pointed at 230 and the turnbuckles didnt have the requested 8-10mm of thread engagement. They need to start at the steering wheel and use diag tool to set "home" and basically reset everything. SMDH,

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
View attachment 149100

I could certainly be wrong, I don't know about electrical steering but you should be able to adjust the starting angle where the steering cable meets the block at the nozzle,

now do we see it offset in it's "sleep" mode and it will reset when to a correct alignment when you turn the power on ???

View attachment 149101

odd how this says 11.24, for both sides was this a dual engine surfpointe boat schematic? where as the tech that came out to measure said port 11.3 and star 12.3 Id expect one side to be tighter since both attachments are on the right side of the nozzle and with the toe in on right side would need a longer measurement.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The schematic is for 2007, it was more just to show the cable adjustment at the nozzle

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
The schematic is for 2007, it was more just to show the cable adjustment at the nozzle
Funny i downloaded 2020 service manual....wrong one via yammy site waste of 15 buxs....then i downloaded the 2019 which lists the 242x e series as ebook off yammy site for 30 days 15 buxs. Under steering they mention nothing about surfpointe or how to set it. They have measurement as 11.8". Service manual is useless too if you have wake specific boat lol.

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is crazy. At least dealer is now fixing.

This is a very subjective data point, but when I bought my 2011 Yamaha, I did so because they were very reliable. I had mine 10 years and only did oil/plug changes once per year. No issues at all. But the amount of BRAND NEW boats that people are having issues with is insane. Again, maybe it is just the forum is larger and more people are discussing the issues , but it does seem like the reliability of these boats is no where near what it used to be.

teambear0155

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
2021 255 xd here. I noticed similar alignment issues. Did the dealer remedy this and is it driving correctly now? Thank you.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
2021 255 xd here. I noticed similar alignment issues. Did the dealer remedy this and is it driving correctly now? Thank you.
Dealer partial remedy, i just decided to fix myself. Surf pointe is 11.4(left) and 12.2(right) measuring the steering cable eyelet hole off the pump plate. I now have the 21-22 service manual and thats whats listed.

picture i just posted is a for a straight nozzle alignment. The x series is the above lengths i mentioned.

Attachments

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Dealer partial remedy, i just decided to fix myself. Surf pointe is 11.4(left) and 12.2(right) measuring the steering cable eyelet hole off the pump plate. I now have the 21-22 service manual and thats whats listed.

picture i just posted is a for a straight nozzle alignment. The x series is the above lengths i mentioned.
I've always wondered what that extra toe in is supposed to do and if it impacts top speed or handling at all.