• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

255 XD on Lake Michigan

kolb_jk

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Moving to mid-west. Is the 255XD good on Lake Michigan?

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Depends a lot on location and conditions. Protected bays and mild weather? Absolutely. 30 miles offshore in afternoon thunderstorms? Not recommended. Where are you considering taking your 255XD? Lake Michigan is huge and has many different conditions somewhere on the lake at any given time.

JetBoatPenguin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I grew up boating on the lake and on powerboats we had deep v hulls...and even then we turned back at times depending on the weather. Had some good times with a whaler there and even made runs from Harbor Springs to beaver island to camp. But be well equipped to run offshore...

kolb_jk

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Depends a lot on location and conditions. Protected bays and mild weather? Absolutely. 30 miles offshore in afternoon thunderstorms? Not recommended. Where are you considering taking your 255XD? Lake Michigan is huge and has many different conditions somewhere on the lake at any given time.
In Chicago at one of the marinas, don’t plan to venture offshore too far.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Chicago waters can def be boated in a jetboat, but you do have to keep an eye on conditions. Can get very choppy & confused conditions there. @Julian and @OperationROL and several others have a lot more expereince in those waters than I. Maybe they can give you more specifics.

kolb_jk

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Thanks look forward to hearing from them. Really like the boat and all capabilities/options it has.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

kolb_jk

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
What 25’ to 28’ boat would you recommend for Chicago are LM waters?

nesnah2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You'll be fine. I've been boating Lake Michigan just across from you in southwest MI, and it does great. I'm adding trim tabs this year to help out even more.

kolb_jk

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Which specific brand of trim tabs?

nesnah2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have boated in lake Michigan plenty of times in my 21' AR 210. It is very doable, till it is not. Been in calm waters to 4-5' footers getting back in when the weather went south fast, definitely rough coming in and very dicey. Watch the weather, watch the wind. You will be fine. There are a lot less boating days if you are going to be keeping it in a Marina.

I would Highly recommend the following:
  1. Trim Tabs. Call Russ at LectoTab. Ask for him specifically and tell him about your boat and the waters you will be boating in. There are three types of controllers SLC, MLC and ALC. Game changer since I put them on my boat. I also boat in Lake St. Clair the big rivers and Lake Erie. He can also cut a custom size depending on what the thinks is best for your use case.
  2. VHF Radio 25w with long antennae. I have two Standard Horizon hand helds but will be adding a fixed unit. IF you do venture out and something happens, you need the range. You will have areas where you lose Cell coverage.
  3. Install a second bilge pump, 750 or higher, if you don't have one. Lake Michigan is not where you want to be a few miles or more away from shore in bad conditions taking on water.
  4. If you don't have a Flare gun on board I would recommend one.
  5. If you have maps on your system, I don't recall if your model does, that is great. Otherwise, get a chartplotter at least a small one and mount it in. I have had it where the Navionics on my phone had an issue for whatever reason, only in Lake Michigan.
You will have a great time. First time you have calm or almost calm clear blue/green water on a nice day it will be fantastic.

dapowerelectric

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
If it makes you feel safer I live in Maui and use it out on open ocean (Hawaii) and it handles like a champ.
I’m not familiar with Lake Michigan but doubt it gets much rougher than Hawaii!
Mon trim tabs available for the 255xd, they won’t fit cause you have the surf pointe.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good point on the trim tabs, forgot about surf pointe.

Anerbe

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello group, are any of you with the 255xd available for an experience ride and/or drive either by traverse city or SE Michigan area? Many of the boat stores local in TC are not fans of jet boats, and it’s difficult to even try one in MI.

Thanks in advance!

Ernest

blueturtle

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Hello group, are any of you with the 255xd available for an experience ride and/or drive either by traverse city or SE Michigan area? Many of the boat stores local in TC are not fans of jet boats, and it’s difficult to even try one in MI.

Thanks in advance!

Ernest
I am in SE MI. My preferred lake is lake Fenton. I could probably provide a demo ride on my 255xd.

n0mad17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Thanks in advance!

Ernest
I’m picking up a 255XE on Thursday and hoping to have it on Silver Lake by Sunday. I have plenty of boating experience, but this will be my first jet boat. I experienced the same thing with TC dealers. I think they associate jet boats with 90’s Sea Doo boats. The inland lakes of Traverse City seem like the perfect application for jet boats and I’m putting quite the wager on it. I’d be happy to take you for a ride after I get comfortable with it

Anerbe

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m picking up a 255XE on Thursday and hoping to have it on Silver Lake by Sunday. I have plenty of boating experience, but this will be my first jet boat. I experienced the same thing with TC dealers. I think they associate jet boats with 90’s Sea Doo boats. The inland lakes of Traverse City seem like the perfect application for jet boats and I’m putting quite the wager on it. I’d be happy to take you for a ride after I get comfortable with it
thanks for the offer! The shoreline of the traverse bay has gotten so shallow off the peninsula that it’s a complete pain to trim up an outboard, and forget about an inboard.