• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

255XD RPM and Top Speed Issue?

wildtwins

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Hello all,
I have a 2022 255xd with about 50 hours of use. The last two times I've gone out, I've noticed that the RPM's at WOT are off by about 500rpm. Starboard is the motor with the lower RPM's. At half throttle, the rpm's seems to match. It also seems that my top speed has gone down. For example, yesterday, I had 90% fuel and 3 adults and could barely hit 40mph. This all might be normal, but wanted to get the opinions of the experts on this forum weigh-in.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
That seems low. I'd start with your pumps 1) inspect while they're in from the bottom for anything caught on the shaft, look for dings in the blades, and inspect the tunnels for missing sealant. 2) Pull the pumps and look for any damage.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello all,
I have a 2022 255xd with about 50 hours of use. The last two times I've gone out, I've noticed that the RPM's at WOT are off by about 500rpm. Starboard is the motor with the lower RPM's. At half throttle, the rpm's seems to match. It also seems that my top speed has gone down. For example, yesterday, I had 90% fuel and 3 adults and could barely hit 40mph. This all might be normal, but wanted to get the opinions of the experts on this forum weigh-in.
Where are you boating? What is the altitude. Was the humidity and temperature high?

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
What @HangOutdoors said, altitude or hot humid day could be the culprit. replacing spark plugs is next. Its not a pump issue as that would cause higher RPM's not lower.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
What @HangOutdoors said, altitude or hot humid day could be the culprit. replacing spark plugs is next. Its not a pump issue as that would cause higher RPM's not lower.
Unless he's got something stuck on his pump shaft, or between the aft impeller and the nose cone...

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Unless he's got something stuck on his pump shaft, or between the aft impeller and the nose cone...
True but that usually causes more issues at low speed which the OP states just at full throttle.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Is your boat in the water? If so and it’s not on a lift I think you should see if there is any scum built up under the water line.

wildtwins

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Is your boat in the water? If so and it’s not on a lift I think you should see if there is any scum built up under the water line.
Yes, it's in a wet slip. Can scum buildup, under the waterline, really effect speed that much?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, it's in a wet slip. Can scum buildup, under the waterline, really effect speed that much?
Yes. Couple that with humidity and Temperature and you could significant speed.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In Minnesota. Temp was 75 and humidity was low.
If your plugs are good and you didn't just overfill oil and your air filters don't have oil in them and are clean, as well as nothing is in your pumps, I would agree with @Ronnie..... You may have some build up on your hull.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I would check under boat. A few weeks ago I did a trip to Anclote. I could run WOT but my speed kept getting lower. When I got it out of the water, there was a bunch of seaweed stuck around the grates. I couldn't tell from the clean out ports.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I don’t know if the loose insulation moving over under power and blocking the intakes in the engine bay is a thing on the 255 XD, but that has happened on some other late model boats with the 1.8’s.

Check all the insulation in the engine bay anywhere near the air box intakes to make sure it is secured to the bulk head.

crazy4life

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Keep my boat wet slipped for 6 months and it is definitely slower in October then April. You would be amazed how much algae buildup affects top speed. Probably loses 10 mph over the season. No big deal for me because 40 is fast enough for me.