• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

4K UHD TVs...got one? Considering buying one? Read this...

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mel, DirecTV's documentation may be out of date. But https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4385 says that only one Samsung model can view 4K content via DirecTV

I have a Genie and a 1080P Samsung TV using RVU so I have a little bit of experience with this. RVU allows me to view DirecTV content from my Genie using an ethernet connection. I do not use a DirecTV box for that TV. Unfortunately the guide is really slow.

As far as I know DirecTV has not released a HDMI 1.4 Genie so you can not view 4K content directly from a Genie it has to be streamed from the Genie via RVU.

Some Sony TVs are RVU capable. Hopefully yours is and will allow viewing 4K content from the Genie.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I had a 110" 1080 p projector at my old house. You could see the difference in 720 to 1080 from 15-20' away no problem. I think that in my case I would love the 4k. New house has no room for the theatre.... yet, so no point in it. Cable TV is actually almost annoying because when we find a channel, we feel like we need to scroll down to see if it's in HD or not.
At 110" you will see the benefits of 1080P as early as 20' and definitely closer. Don't get me wrong....at that size there is absolutely a huge benefit! The point....the eye has a limited resolution, displaying an image in a resolution higher than your eye can discern does not improve the image, and if the refresh rate and other color attributes are neglected in order to deliver that resolution - it might make the image delivery worse.

But the Sony @txav8r bought is a sweet set! And is high on my list....

Last edited:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Seeing is believing. And as we always say...if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy...and not only did mama say yes, she absolutely insisted on filling up the hole I built for in the great room cabinets! It fits with 1/4" to spare on the sides, and about 7/8" at the top. I had to build some hdpe blocks (leftover ubb's) for it to set on that were 7/8" thick, so that the IR and the apple tv had clearance under the set.
image.jpg

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
@txav8r Your dog looks uninterested.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Looks sharp man! And there is a lot to be said about keeping mama happy!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My wife can't understand why I want a bigger/better TV....so no luck for me here. Last time I bought a new TV I waited for her to go out of town! LOL
I have that same problem. :(

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congrats on the new big tv Mel. I hope you get lots of enjoyment out of it. Everytime we go to Costco I'm always eyeing the new tvs as we go in and Jill just gives that look of "no way".

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mel,

Very nice set! You should look into getting it isf calibrated to get the best picture dialed in. Congrats on the set!

Mark

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
For a tv out of the box, it is perfect. I know I could make calibration adjustments for different sources, but I wear glasses now! lol

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ha Ha...I just bought, or rather my wife bought for my BD, a Sony XBR70X850B. It is a 70" inch 4K, and I can tell you without a doubt, it is tremendously better than standard HD 1080P. The Sony actually has a converter to upgrade standard HD to a pseudo 4K, and it also converts 2D to 3D if you use the glasses. We have a LCD 50" in the bedroom that is 1080P and a 1080P DLP, the DLP is now retired. The difference between both of these and the 4K is remarkable. You may not note the difference unless you compare side by side. But even comparing a Visio and a Samsung 4K next to the Sony, it wins hands down. This is an impressive TV. It sold new for $5500 for more than a year. The new models come out later this year and it is currently selling for $3999. You can buy for $2744 through a non certified online seller, and believe me, I checked that path out very thoroughly...and walked away from it. Basically, you can buy the online sellers extended warranty, but he claims you can get Sony to stand behind the set if something goes wrong in the 1 yr manufacturers period...but I am convinced you can not. Go check them out!
So my wife finally went out of town and I went shopping! Brought home the 65" version of the above Sony.... Even though my trained eye could barely see any difference between 1080p at 8 feet....it called to me none the less! LOL

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Congrats! Your going to like many things about it. I truly thought it was a better pic in normal HD than was all the tv's around the store. But it was more expensive too. Sony's warranty, consumer reports, and reviews also convinced me that it was better than the Best Buy brands or other competitive models. I don't watch much 4K programming and don't know if it will come, nor do we put on the 3D glasses and watch that too much, but when we do, it is amazing. And almost every time we are both seated and watching a good movie with scenery that is "on location", Clara comments on how much she enjoys that tv! So I know you will enjoy it and appreciate the picture it offers, if you can get past the difference in price for it. AND A BIG TV IS AMAZING IN ITSELF! Congrats again!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Congrats! Your going to like many things about it. I truly thought it was a better pic in normal HD than was all the tv's around the store. But it was more expensive too. Sony's warranty, consumer reports, and reviews also convinced me that it was better than the Best Buy brands or other competitive models. I don't watch much 4K programming and don't know if it will come, nor do we put on the 3D glasses and watch that too much, but when we do, it is amazing. And almost every time we are both seated and watching a good movie with scenery that is "on location", Clara comments on how much she enjoys that tv! So I know you will enjoy it and appreciate the picture it offers, if you can get past the difference in price for it. AND A BIG TV IS AMAZING IN ITSELF! Congrats again!
Yup....pretty much the same list of reasons I went for it. Been researching for a while....and decided it was time to pull the trigger! I don't splurge often....last big TV I bought was 11 years ago.....so I figured I was due!

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't think I would notice the difference. When people say the can notice the difference I chalk it up to the "newness factor". You know the new car smell, the great sleep on the new mattress, he'll even new underwear feels great for the first few weeks. Then you don't notice it anymore. I have another great example that has cost me thousands. New golf clubs. I love golf. If I hit a new driver or 3 wood or whatever in the store I am usually crushing it. Hitting the club long and straight with no problem. I even demo the club first out on the course to make sure the simulator isn't lying to me. So I buy the club thinking wow! I love this new driver it's so much better than the old one. Then the honeymoon ends. Usually in about 2 months.

Anything brand new is always better............ DO NOT TELL MY WIFE I WROTE THIS!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Don't tell my wife this either....but bigger is better! LOL

A 65" screen is so much bigger than a 50"! Yes....I'll get used to it....but at this point is makes watching movies more like being at the theater. If we didn't have a fixed entertainment center....I would have gone with 70 or 80 inches!