• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

A couple clicks away from disaster?

Wishfull1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
While on our annual Lake Cumberland trip, I discovered our winch strap is pretty frayed and perhaps pretty close to snapping on us? Anyone recommend a quality replacement? A common wear item, or is the Shoreland'r strap crap?

Attachments

• IMG_20240823_152731054_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240823_152731054_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 53
After 17 years mine is due for replacement also
Thanks for the link

This company has a good reputation in the off-road world. Company is USA owned and provides quality sourced products.

Rhino USA Boat Winch Strap

I went ahead and replaced my winch with a larger winch that has a steel cable. I don’t have a link, as it kinda fell into my lap, but the peace of mind is well worth it.

For what it is worth...In the past I have installed a BoatBuckle on the front of my Trailers as a secondary tiedown. Peace of mind especially when trailering long distances.

I went ahead and replaced my winch with a larger winch that has a steel cable. I don’t have a link, as it kinda fell into my lap, but the peace of mind is well worth it.
There is a reason anyone with a winch on a SXS throws steel cables away and replaces them with synthetic. Steel rusts, you get slivers if you handle it without gloves. And when it does break, the recoil can literally slice your skin wide open. Where as synthetics don't have recoil, or what little there is, will never hurt anyone.

This is normal wear and tear for those that winch to the bow stop. The stock winch was designed to pull the boat up to the winch stop when partially floating, but never the full weight of the boat. That's not saying the OP was improperly winching, as mentioned, it is normal wear and tear. But it is what causes them to wear prematurely. We were not told how long that strap was used.

Absolutely, I only run synthetic rope on both my normal winches. But a hand crank winch for a boat isn’t going to pose that kind of threat. And if the day comes that it starts fraying, I’ll replace it immediately. But it’s either 5/16 or 3/8 steel cable. It’s grossly over compensating. And I like it.

Thanks for the input guys.

This is the original strap on a 2018 SX195. I typically lightly power load with the tops of the fenders just above the surface, any deeper and the boat doesn't center up properly on the bunks. This leaves about a foot or two to crank.

Another possible contributing factor to the early demise, is the strap is under constant heavy strain. The bow is "pulled down" to the roller. The bow will come off the roller a good 4 inches when the strap is loosened. The dealer has maintained this is normal and no adjustment is necessary. I have also seen others on the forum with the same issue.

I am not sure how the adjust this for a better fit. Perhaps move the whole stop back to meet the bow at a better natural "resting" position?

Attachments

• IMG_20180920_170905122.jpg
    IMG_20180920_170905122.jpg
    611.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20180920_170856261 (1).jpg
    IMG_20180920_170856261 (1).jpg
    929.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20180920_170926976 (1).jpg
    IMG_20180920_170926976 (1).jpg
    541.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys.

This is the original strap on a 2018 SX195. I typically lightly power load with the tops of the fenders just above the surface, any deeper and the boat doesn't center up properly on the bunks. This leaves about a foot or two to crank.

Another possible contributing factor to the early demise, is the strap is under constant heavy strain. The bow is "pulled down" to the roller. The bow will come off the roller a good 4 inches when the strap is loosened. The dealer has maintained this is normal and no adjustment is necessary. I have also seen others on the forum with the same issue.

I am not sure how the adjust this for a better fit. Perhaps move the whole stop back to meet the bow at a better natural "resting" position?
I moved my stop back to meet the boat as you described because of the same issue. I didn’t notice any change in trailer balance or anything but I never actually weighed the tongue.
Mine still comes off the roller a few inches when I’m floating and ready to launch but out of water the eye stays right on the roller.

I moved my stop back to meet the boat as you described because of the same issue. I didn’t notice any change in trailer balance or anything but I never actually weighed the tongue.
Mine still comes off the roller a few inches when I’m floating and ready to launch but out of water the eye stays right on the roller.
Awesome, thanks! I will give that a try when I replace the strap.

Gentlemen, I have to disagree with about synthetic rope not stretching under load… to me that is patently false. Synthetic ropes are just as dangerous as other lines if they break and someone is in proximity, stored energy is stored energy regardless of the medium. I learned a lot about synthetic lines / ropes etc when I was in apprenticeship school for the overhead, steel lines / ropes are not steel or metal in the electrical utility industry.

Here’s a video ..

Gentlemen, I have to disagree with about synthetic rope not stretching under load… to me that is patently false. Synthetic ropes are just as dangerous as other lines if they break

I'm sorry you misread the post, unless someone else stated it, but we never said they don't stretch. The point with synthetic, as they can be stronger for the same diameter, and have "less recoil" Factor that with the recoil of a synthetic line, even if at the same force, would not rip your flesh open like steel could. (remember the days of throwing a jacket over the winch line to reduce recoil) Your video proved my point, that synthetic line would not have hurt anyone, and it had tons of force on it.

All of this a non issue when talking the couple feet used on a boat winch. And honestly this is getting close to a silly discussion, as the strap on the winch is a very generic product worth minimal dollars. And when used right, should never, ever have the full load of the boat on it.

I did not misread it, you stated “they don’t recoil and what little they do won’t hurt anyone”. Thats not true, synthetic ropes can injure, maim and kill. The winch strap on our boat trailers could easily be loaded to 500# or more, and put your eye out our slice you wide open if it breaks, and that depends on whether or not you are in the bite of the line when it breaks.

I’m not as concerned about the winch strap as I am about people thinking a synthetic rope, say a 3/8” piece of yacht braid breaking is not capable of injuring you. The video did not prove your point, in fact it showed how much that line had stretched, and I guarantee you, had you been in the bite of the line of its recoil you would change your tune about it not being able to hurt you. And yes, I remember putting a tarp over the steel winch line to arrest it in case it broke, and that works quite well as I found from experience.

The only thing worse than no information is bad information. Giving people the idea that a synthetic line breaking will not hurt you is bad information. Try holding the end of a rubber band against your skin and pull the other end out till it stops stretching and let it snap back against your skin and see how that feels, that’s maybe, mayyybe a pound of force. Now expand that up a few thousand percent to represent the breaking strength of nylon line, say 5000#, that stored energy will be contained in the contracting line in a decreasing amount until the line has no more stretch in it, if your body gets in the way when it still has all that energy in it and that energy is applied over 3/8” of an inch then bad things are going to happen to you.
CD1CF379-63CA-4E49-A51C-251377F6D517.png

This company has a good reputation in the off-road world. Company is USA owned and provides quality sourced products.

Rhino USA Boat Winch Strap

I have those, they're fine. They're about as American as any amazon reseller. They're just private labelled Chinese stuff, with a "we are an American family.owned business" marketing spin on it. Nothing exceptional, but nothing bad either.

Back