• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Absolutely torn between Small Jet Boat (190 FSH) and Small Outboard Center Console

Matts18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Read THT...thoroughly...no one on there will back a jet of any sort....yet you come to a jet board and everyone says they are the greatest boats.....odd?
Actually this is not odd at all. Go ask people on a Chevy forum whether or not they should get a Silverado or a F150 and see what happens. Everyone will say get the Chevy except for the turd that says Chevy is crappy (you are the turd).

I say you go test a few boats and decide what you like best. There is no perfect boat....

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Guys I'm no fisherman so maybe I'm lost on the lingo.

Is @westlake10 going to be trolling,
-with a small troller motor that is affixed to the bow?
-Or are we talking about trolling as in using out riggers that trail leads next to & behind the boat?

I could easily see how the latter could possibly pose an intake problem on a jet boat.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@westlake10 First of -welcome to the forum! Great info here, as far as Yamaha jet boats - really unmatched.

I love my AR240 and had a SX190 before which I also liked a lot.
Here is what I like about them most:
  1. safety of jets (I have crazy kids)
  2. shallow river boating
  3. wake surfing (no outdrive in the back)
Sounds like you do not have any of those considerations...

As much as I like my current yammie, and enjoy the "Swiss Army Knife" aspects of the design - I know I would be getting an O/B boat if I were in your shoes - no question.

--

Van T

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I like my fsh once you get a good trolling motor it makes the boat great for fishing without trolling motor pain in the ass . I fish the Chesapeake Bay and rivers. Minn kota anchor feature is the deal . I don't think a outboard boat is versatile ,no wake surfing no extra swim platform can't go in as shallow . But you do have to do a lot of things to make fsh right.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Some of the kokanee we caught 2 weeks ago trolling with my AR230.
20180628_211748.jpg

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
THT (the hull truth) is full of Jet Boat haters like Clemson. I agree the FSH doesn't make a good 100% fishing platform, but if its only 33% of the time and you want a versatile all round boat, then a jet fits that bill well, and it is the #1 open bow boat sold in the 20-25' range.....which speaks a lot about what people want.

That said, jets do have disadvantages that need to be weighed against their advantages. They don't do well in weeds or water with lots of debris. They do require much more steering input to track a straight line (although I've not used a GPS controlled trolling motor on one).

I do love fishing off the back and just got back from Bimini doing some deep drop fishing and had a great time.
My 210 FSH is 100% for fishing. It is amazing for fishing.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 210 FSH is 100% for fishing. It is amazing for fishing.
There is a big difference between the 190 and the new 210 hull. Both have their advantages, but as far as 190 handling hard chop is not one of them.
I would not consider a 190 for fishing in a Great Lake chop if I had some choices. New 210 - yes, I would consider.
I must say the 190s are quite capable in big swells. However chop with short period is just jarring in those boats.

--

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
With a dock that messy all my friends who I fish with on their bass boats use their trolling motor to get off the dock area.

Kooter

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Couple of thoughts....

I have an AR190 and use it on Lake Michigan and Grand Traverse Bay.

For water sports the FSH will be awesome. Great for tubing, skiing, wakeboarding and surfing if you set it up. It is not a wake boat though, so if you are expecting that you will be disappointed.

For fishing the boat will be difficult to troll unless you set it up correctly. These boats just don't really go in a straight line at low speeds. A trolling motor up front and thrust vectors or fangs will help but still not the same as a dedicated fishing boat with an outboard. It is doable but definitely more work. Now for any other type of fishing...casting, jigging and even fly the FSH will be great. The awesome swim platform doubles as a great casting platform. Chop on the Great Lakes is wild. We can get ocean size waves and swells so you just have to chose your day. I would bet that if it was rough enough for you to not go out in the FSH then you probably wouldn't go out in a small center console either. Most of those ocean style center consoles would do better in the chop but still they are 19' and the FSH does okay.

Family time is unbeatable on the yamahas. That swim platform is just awesome. It is without question the most used spot on my boat by any and all kids. In fact my friends were just here for a week and they have a fishing boat with an outboard....guess whose wife now wants a yamaha??

So if you are truly using your boat 1/3 1/3 1/3 I think you will love the yamaha. If trolling is super important I would consider a more dedicated fishing boat.

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Actually this is not odd at all. Go ask people on a Chevy forum whether or not they should get a Silverado or a F150 and see what happens. Everyone will say get the Chevy except for the turd that says Chevy is crappy (you are the turd).

I say you go test a few boats and decide what you like best. There is no perfect boat....
Actually the "turd" would be someone who cannot identify a correct analogy. THT is a BOATING forum....non specific, unlike this forum which is vehemently specific.

I continue to be amazed by those who are clearly doltish

SMFH.

westlake10

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Couple of thoughts....

I have an AR190 and use it on Lake Michigan and Grand Traverse Bay.

For water sports the FSH will be awesome. Great for tubing, skiing, wakeboarding and surfing if you set it up. It is not a wake boat though, so if you are expecting that you will be disappointed.

For fishing the boat will be difficult to troll unless you set it up correctly. These boats just don't really go in a straight line at low speeds. A trolling motor up front and thrust vectors or fangs will help but still not the same as a dedicated fishing boat with an outboard. It is doable but definitely more work. Now for any other type of fishing...casting, jigging and even fly the FSH will be great. The awesome swim platform doubles as a great casting platform. Chop on the Great Lakes is wild. We can get ocean size waves and swells so you just have to chose your day. I would bet that if it was rough enough for you to not go out in the FSH then you probably wouldn't go out in a small center console either. Most of those ocean style center consoles would do better in the chop but still they are 19' and the FSH does okay.

Family time is unbeatable on the yamahas. That swim platform is just awesome. It is without question the most used spot on my boat by any and all kids. In fact my friends were just here for a week and they have a fishing boat with an outboard....guess whose wife now wants a yamaha??

So if you are truly using your boat 1/3 1/3 1/3 I think you will love the yamaha. If trolling is super important I would consider a more dedicated fishing boat.
awesome reply thank you

112Vulcan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I grew up and fished on Lake Erie. You need to exercise extreme caution and constantly monitor the weather when out on a boat of any type or size on Lake Erie. At its deepest point, Lake Erie is only 100' deep and that is in the Fairview, Girard Pa. area. I have seen the lake go from dead calm to 5-6' waves in about 15 minutes. No BS! We use to run across the lake to Canada often in the summer, you will learn quickly to respect that body of water.

westlake10

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I grew up and fished on Lake Erie. You need to exercise extreme caution and constantly monitor the weather when out on a boat of any type or size on Lake Erie. At its deepest point, Lake Erie is only 100' deep and that is in the Fairview, Girard Pa. area. I have seen the lake go from dead calm to 5-6' waves in about 15 minutes. No BS! We use to run across the lake to Canada often in the summer, you will learn quickly to respect that body of water.
I grew up on the lake as well and you're completely correct. When on the open part of the lake (Which I mostly will be when launching in Cleveland), I don't intend on venturing more than a couple miles from the marina even on a calm day.