• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Acceleration Issue

RMusella

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I had a 2015 Chaparral 203 VRX with barely 26 hours on it. I am in the process of selling it to a buddy of mine. We took it out on the lake this last week and it ran like a champ, just like it always did for me. I get a text yesterday telling me the he was having issues. Boat will only give him about 5-7 miles per hour. Any time he revved her up, she would not go. He said it felt like the impeller wasn't turning. Intake grate is clear and seems to operate just fine at near idle. Any ideas?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

RMusella

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Update...I am told after a bit of troubleshooting, "at idle it's just dumping water into the engine bay." Could this be a bad seal somewhere?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm not certain, but I suspect your propulsion driveline is not too different from the SeaDoo jet skis of the same vintage.

If you look here, does that match what your shaft and carbon ring set up look like?

If there is water coming in at idle, the easiest thing is to see and determine where the water is coming in from. It might be from this area, which has a ring that spins but keeps the the water outside (when it works).

See if that picture helps (and if it matches your boat, I could be wrong on my guess that the driveline is similar to SeaDoo)

Cliff2

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Other
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
i'd definetly start by looking at the carbon ring for any water leak in these things.
when it comes to the engine and drive systems, these are sea-doos.

if you cant get to a lake, you can put a hose in the boat. but, water will leak IN faster than it will leak OUT.
simple physics, 8 pounds per gallon trying to leak out. the weight of your boat trying to leak in.

if it is a carbon ring, you need a few special tools to do it yourself. but its actually pretty easy.
460746, drive shaft holder.
460840, floating ring tool.

i took an old wheel bearing race, cut about 1/4 of it away, giving me an C shaped piece i can use with the floating ring tool to give more spreading range.