• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Access hatch for drivers helm SX210 HELP

JimmyUSN

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I want to install an access hatch on the drivers helm. Right now there is a track to hold the door open from the passenger console door to block the wind. Does anyone ever use that track, and or run with the passenger door open to block the wind?
I'm thinking of just removing it to install an access hatch.
Any thoughts?

I am aware of that feature but I have never actually used it except to show people what it is there for. I would say that if you do not think you would use it, go ahead and remove it. The access hatch might be more useful to you for getting behind your instrument panel or just additional storage. I would love to see pictures of the finished product if you go through with it.

We start our season early and use it often if the temp is below 70. It is also nice if there is spray coming over the bow.
I've also thought of putting in an access door for the helm. If you cut the channel in 2 or 3 pieces you can attach on section to the new access door and the other above/below.

If you cut the channel in 2 or 3 pieces you can attach on section to the new access door and the other above/below.
I Like that idea, this is why I like this forum.

If you go with a small hatch you could probably retain a portion of that track. I don't think it's critical that it run the entire length of the door. :cool:

i use it regularly but i always go full throttle to our surf spot where you can legally run ballast. it's nice to stop so much of the wind for the passengers.

I've used it repeatedly... any time we get on the edges of rain storm and I have to wind her up to get home. Anyone in the bow comes back and closes the front door and windshield. It makes a big difference in rain and wind. My wife would probably refuse to get on the boat if it wasn't working. Not that I run her through rain storms... much. :S

You can remove some of it if need be, I would say no more than about 30% and it will still do the job. I was going to get a door made similar to the pass side door so I can have a larger opening as the pre made doors are either too small to really be useful and fit or too larger. I have found many that length was good but width was to great and vice versa/ There is a company that will custom make a stabbed hatch door to your specs (it would match the other perfectly) and I was going to have it made as large as possible the simply relocate the strip to the door face and maybe have to trim an 1/8" off of the wind door that falls inside. The custom hatches are within a few bucks of the remade unless you by a crappy hatch. This is one of those areas that you truly do get what you pay for.

I have since scratched the idea of a hatch since I would like to add a refrigerator to my boat like @Bruce has done however in the new boats the only available real-estate to install one and not interfere with ballast is the driver console. I will be removing about 25% of the strip and there will be a slight notch to clear the drawer face. Winter project if all goes well.

There is a company that will custom make a stabbed hatch door to your specs

What is the company?
Also, It would be nice to have a hatch that is the oddball shape of the side of the helm, for max access.

@JimmyUSN contact www.boatoutfitters.com Their builder only allows you to build square corners but if you call them I believe they will do one that is not.

If you have the skills, you could cut down a Yamaha door assembly. Yamaha Sports Plaza sells the port hatch assembly for $283.
Then the latch, hinge & color would all match.

They are in line with buying the hatch from Yamaha for the pass side. I would call them and talk it through and see. For me it was more of a matter of looking like it came that way rather than throwing something off the shelf in there but that is just me and my nature. If you have decent wood working skills you could build the hatch yourself however the starboard material to build one is not cheap. I bought a 1' X 2' piece 1/2" thick to mount my amps etc on and it was damn near $50 so any of the good hatches I would say there is easily $100 or more in materials alone.

You could probably also route the door down some, and then attach the U to the access door if having a small strip at the top and bottom wasn't enough...

I bought a 1' X 2' piece 1/2" thick to mount my amps etc on and it was damn near $50 so any of the good hatches I would say there is easily $100 or more in materials alone.
Where did you find that material?

I shopped around for a small piece and ended up getting it on amazon. If you are going to build the whole thing you may want to check around if any marinas use it and carry it, would probably save you some if you could by enough scrap for what you are after etc.

I shopped around for a small piece and ended up getting it on amazon. If you are going to build the whole thing you may want to check around if any marinas use it and carry it, would probably save you some if you could by enough scrap for what you are after etc.
Do you remember what that suff is called on Amazon

It was called marine lumber by Taco Materials

Back