• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Add speakers or subwoofers?

Mfpaul

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Currently have an older Clarion M455A head unit and a newer pair of clarion 6.5s in the boat. The boat never had more than two speakers. I am planning to take advantage of the two additional channels from the head unit and also add a four channel amp to run 80w per channel. Staying modest with this system, obviously. Wondering though, should I add two more 6.5s or add two smaller subwoofers? The rear two channels on the head unit can be converted to power subs. Limited spaces to mount speakers in the boat so whatever they are, they would likely have to be 8” max.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
The HeadUnit doesn't put out enough power to effectively run subs. Even if it did, I would still add speakers. If limited in space I would consider 8" speakers with 150+ watts. That should get you some decent mid-bass that may be enough for you.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Currently have an older Clarion M455A head unit and a newer pair of clarion 6.5s in the boat. The boat never had more than two speakers. I am planning to take advantage of the two additional channels from the head unit and also add a four channel amp to run 80w per channel. Staying modest with this system, obviously. Wondering though, should I add two more 6.5s or add two smaller subwoofers? The rear two channels on the head unit can be converted to power subs. Limited spaces to mount speakers in the boat so whatever they are, they would likely have to be 8” max.
Totally depends on you budget! You really do need more than 2 speakers to start off with. My order of attack would be:

1. Add 2 more speakers
  2. Add an amp for 6 speakers (or see step 4)
  3. Add 2 more speakers to get to 6, or add a sub
  4. add a 2nd amp (or if you think you can afford this....in step 2 buy an 8 channel amp)
  5. add 2 more speakers and a 2nd sub

Mfpaul

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The HeadUnit doesn't put out enough power to effectively run subs. Even if it did, I would still add speakers. If limited in space I would consider 8" speakers with 150+ watts. That should get you some decent mid-bass that may be enough for you.
Thank you. That’s helpful.

Mfpaul

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Totally depends on you budget! You really do need more than 2 speakers to start off with. My order of attack would be:

1. Add 2 more speakers
  2. Add an amp for 6 speakers (or see step 4)
  3. Add 2 more speakers to get to 6, or add a sub
  4. add a 2nd amp (or if you think you can afford this....in step 2 buy an 8 channel amp)
  5. add 2 more speakers and a 2nd sub
Thanks. That solidifies my first step for starters.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
As mentioned, forget about the head unit powering the speakers or subs if you want some decent volume, just get an amp and drive the 6.5" speakers directly. Head units have very low power output with clean sound, so adding an amp really makes a big difference.

As for subs or more speakers, depends on your musical tastes. For me, I hate subs for music and use only speakers so I put extra 6.5" speakers in my boat for more impact, and more also volume at the bucket seats while cruising. I do use subs for my home theater, but I prefer clean sound over bass thump for music.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
^^^ music isnt complete without subs. Don’t need heavy bass. Very easy to naturally blend subs on a boat with the IB solutions.

Mfpaul

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Anyone know what the side wall upholstered panels are made of? Is it easy to cut thru to make way for a speaker. My Utopia apparently has factory speaker cutouts in the fiberglass hull near the rear seat grab handles. They just didn’t put a second set of speakers there in my boat. A cheap out. If I can get thru the side panel, I have ready mounting holes there.

Attachments

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
^^^ music isnt complete without subs. Don’t need heavy bass.
Opinions vary, and it depends on the speakers being used and the needs of the listener. Most of the sound that you hear in music which is in the "bass" range, you get in the 60 - 250Hz range which about any decent 5"+ speaker can reproduce. Most people don't realize how deep a 100Hz fundamental tone actually sounds, and most of the music we hear is in the 100-10,000Hz range.
Very easy to naturally blend subs on a boat with the IB solutions.
Actually it's not due to being an open air environment. Someone sitting on the swim platform won't hear much of the sub, just some of the vibrations, while someone sitting in the seat beside the sub is getting blasted with too much bass. Tuning in a car or home is much easier and more balanced due to the enclosed area.

Having said that, I've yet to come across anyone with subs in their cars or boats have smooth tuned sound - it's always way too bass heavy and sounds awful. That's just my opinion though.
:)

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Anyone know what the side wall upholstered panels are made of? Is it easy to cut thru to make way for a speaker. My Utopia apparently has factory speaker cutouts in the fiberglass hull near the rear seat grab handles. They just didn’t put a second set of speakers there in my boat. A cheap out. If I can get thru the side panel, I have ready mounting holes there.
Probably plastic of some kind like the backing of the seats. Are you thinking of getting the upholstery cut and stitched around the area where the speaker would go?

Mfpaul

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Probably plastic of some kind like the backing of the seats. Are you thinking of getting the upholstery cut and stitched around the area where the speaker would go?
Yes, that what I was thinking. I could cut the upholstery like a pie from the center back out then just stitch the end of the cut so it doesn’t run later. Id need a five+ inch opening.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Opinions vary, and it depends on the speakers being used and the needs of the listener. Most of the sound that you hear in music which is in the "bass" range, you get in the 60 - 250Hz range which about any decent 5"+ speaker can reproduce. Most people don't realize how deep a 100Hz fundamental tone actually sounds, and most of the music we hear is in the 100-10,000Hz range.

Actually it's not due to being an open air environment. Someone sitting on the swim platform won't hear much of the sub, just some of the vibrations, while someone sitting in the seat beside the sub is getting blasted with too much bass. Tuning in a car or home is much easier and more balanced due to the enclosed area.

Having said that, I've yet to come across anyone with subs in their cars or boats have smooth tuned sound - it's always way too bass heavy and sounds awful. That's just my opinion though.
:)
If you have the time, and one is local, check out an IASCA SQ comp. Some high-end builds will open a door you don't want to chase in a vehicle lol. Some of those guys have hundreds of hours in tuning alone.

To OP, do you have pictures of inside of boat?

Mfpaul

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you have the time, and one is local, check out an IASCA SQ comp. Some high-end builds will open a door you don't want to chase in a vehicle lol. Some of those guys have hundreds of hours in tuning alone.

See post #8 for photos of the side panel where there is apparently a factory hole in the hull. Second photo is not mine but shows the factory hole in a previous members boat of same model and vintage. I’ll add some other interior shots of mine. Could probably do bow install cutting new holes in fiberglass up there near grab handles. I have also seen a pair in the front of the rear bench seat base. Existing stock speakers are low on the side panels next to the driver and shotgun seats.

Mfpaul

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Mfpaul

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Photo of another boat with speakers in the bow location

Attachments

Mfpaul

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Photo of another boat with speakers in the bow and another with speakers in rear bench face
Photo of another boat with speakers in the bow location
another with the speakers in the rear bench seat face

Attachments

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Before I saw the speakers in the bow, that was the location I was thinking...right in front of that grab handle. I would get some cardboard and cut-out dimensions for a 8" speaker. See if that fits in all 3 locations. (Also be sure to check max depth at each location as well. If they did, I would go with 6 8" speakers and a pretty powerful amp. Then once budget allows, I would explore adding a pair of subs. Looks like there are multiple potential locations.