• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adding a pontoon boat to the Dock.

thcole

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well I have a dock with a small swim platform in front of the boat. I have about 25 foot of dock space beside my boat. My Dad just bought a 16 foot pontoon boat that he wants to add to the dock space. We have 3, 10 foot sections that we can add to the dock but we cant go any further away from the shore. I was debating adding 2 or maybe 3 sections behind my boat, but then what boat do I have dock in the front space. I am a decent boat driver but not the best. My dad has really never driven a boat before. I am just wondering what boat I should put up front, which would be easier to parallel park? Should I put the other sections in front of the swim platform and leave the Pontoon, or my boat unprotected from river debris. We are in a no wake zone but do collect a decent amount of debris in front of the swim platform. Any Ideas?20160528_164529.jpg

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think you could add section on either side of the swim platform. If you put them on the upstream side, park the pontoon there. It is metal....unless something monster comes down stream it isn't going to do anything to the pontoon.

If you add them to the left....add extra so you have plenty of room to maneuver your boat in if his is parked.

thcole

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Would it be better for me to try to slide my boat in or to have the pontoon with a rookie driver parallel park it. I have only ever docked a jet boat so I don't really know how other boats handle a slow speeds.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Can you just put the new sections farther down river and leave an empty space?

thcole

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There will only be about an 8 foot gap.

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why don't you test docking it where you think you want to extend the dock?

-Greg

Papa

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Put the pontoon on the other side. That way the two shall never meet.
Papa

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The pontoon will be easier to dock and has a distinct advantage should you need to fend off an approaching pier or your jetboat, if a docking attempt goes awry. Most of the pontoons that I have been on, have a walkway around the perimeter, which makes for less stress should you need to push off or grab a line to get the boat into a tight quarters. I’d put the pontoon into the more difficult docking situation. With aluminum pontoons they can also take a bit more of a beating than your jetboat’s fiberglass.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd say put it on the other side. I drive pontoons and their worse than a jet boat when it comes to wind with the Bimini deployed.