• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adding XM to my 242 S

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
XM has a great promotion going on right now. Get a $70 prepaid card, and 3 months free service on the SXV 300v1 tuner. Picked one up at best buy for $42. Hope to install in the morning and have it up and running for the lake tomorrow. Just have to find a good place to mount the antenna now.

xmradio.JPG

xm2.JPG

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@MattFX4 can you move the unit between the boat and your car? Plugs right into the AUX for power and signal, correct?

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am not sure if it can be moved between boat and car. It probably could if your car stereo is xm ready. This tuner plugs in to the polk receiver located inside the helm area. It will not be visible, but the antenna will. The stock stereo on the 2015's are XM ready, they just need this tuner to work.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Your boat stereo may be different, but the tuner connects to the tuner/amp module below, underneath the helm. I don't think this tuner plugs in to the aux port of the head unit itself.

Capture.PNG

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
XM has a great promotion going on right now. Get a $70 prepaid card, and 3 months free service on the SXV 300v1 tuner. Picked one up at best buy for $42. Hope to install in the morning and have it up and running for the lake tomorrow. Just have to find a good place to mount the antenna now.

View attachment 36081

View attachment 36082
I did the same thing last year to find out that XM deal was only good when the receiver is purchased from them. Their cost is a lot higher of course.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I brought my antenna up though the same hole as the Satellite receiver and used a flat extra strenght velcro to hold it in place.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I did the same thing last year to find out that XM deal was only good when the receiver is purchased from them. Their cost is a lot higher of course.
Ahh, I'm sure that's the catch. Probably won't be valid since I bought at bestbuy. Oh well, was going to buy either way. I found out real quick this past weekend on the water that FM stations are very static, and my phone service sucks so I couldn't stream Pandora or any other music service.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yep, you're right. Just read the fine print and Best Buy is excluded. The 3 month free offer applies though so I'm good with that.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@MattFX4 - How is your XM working out? I am looking at doing the same thing.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Bennie it's working out great. Tried the whole fm and streaming Pandora from phone but both didn't work out too well in the middle of nowhere. Xm works perfectly because the satellite signal. The quality of the audio sounds good too. I highly recommend it.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Awesome - part is ordered!! Thank you very much!!

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Cool. Just run antenna wire up through gps hockey puck antenna hole and use some 3m double sided tape to secure it next to gps amp and you'll be good to go

MarkEnMiami

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Have a 2017 242 ltd SE and the dealer wanted 560$ to install. Stated I had to put an adapter in the compartment where the batteries are. Any truth to that? Also any photos as to where thisbplufs in under the dash? Is it obvious? Thanks

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@MarkEnMiami - The main Polk unit is very obvious. Its is behind the helm see post #4 in this thread. The XM unit (that you can buy direct or from Best Buy) plugs right into the SXM plug on the back of the Polk unit. Also when you buy it, it should come with 3 months free (verify before purchase).

I just used double sided tape and zip ties to secure it. Then some marine grade super glue to secure the antenna. A few minutes outside and I had signal - all done.
LOVE IT!!! - Use it EVERY time!!

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Have a 2017 242 ltd SE and the dealer wanted 560$ to install. Stated I had to put an adapter in the compartment where the batteries are. Any truth to that? Also any photos as to where thisbplufs in under the dash? Is it obvious? Thanks
Wow, that's a ripoff. It's a $35 add on.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This came up on another thread recently.

I (and others) have preferred to go the route of buying a portable XM/Sirius radio rather than a fixed one in the boat. In my case, when the radio isn't in the boat, it is connected to my home stereo....that way we get WAY more use out of our subscription! There are a number of portable satellite radio options out there....I have an Onyx.

Pullen724

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I ran my antenna cord through the gps puck hole like many others. I didnt like the way it made one side of the gps puck to sit unlevel and didnt want to drill or cut anything. I bought a thin 1.5" rubber washer and put it under the gps puck, then cut a slit in one side of the rubber washer to run the antenna cord through. This allows the gps to sit more level and the entire thing is just slightly elevated rather than just one side.

greg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just cut a small slit in the GPS puck for XM wire to sit next to it and ran a small bead of silicone around hole under GPS to seal it up. Sits flush and looks good. And now is water tight. There is nothing to stop water from getting in under the factory GPS puck.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just cut a small slit in the GPS puck for XM wire to sit next to it and ran a small bead of silicone around hole under GPS to seal it up. Sits flush and looks good. And now is water tight. There is nothing to stop water from getting in under the factory GPS puck.
This is what I did. However, I do not use it anymore. Now that Verizon has unlimited data, I just stream from my SiriusXM app instead of paying for another radio.