• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Advice on wakeboard rope.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Like I said in an earlier thread, I have fallen in love with both wakesurfing (not ropeless yet) and wakeboarding. Can anyone recommend a wakeboard rope that wont break the bank? And what length do some of you run? I have a couple of ski ropes, but from what i read, the wake rope needs to have virtually no stretch. As a beginner, am I selling myself short or missing out on anything using a ski rope? Any insight would be appreciated. BTW.....Id like something really bright in color so that it is easier to see.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Edit to add that it also has a few removable sections to adjust the length.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I recommend hardline. I purchased a hardline multi segment wakeboard rope about 8 or 9 years ago and it is as good now as it was new. I use it to ski and wakeboard. It is grey/red so not the easiest to see in the water (for me at least) but I'm sure there are other colors. It has a small T handle a couple of feet up from the main handle so you can set up for 720 mctwists. :p

I run the rope between 60 and 65 feet behind the boat. Having a forward swept or reverse swept tower makes a slight difference. Every season we tend to start at 60 and look to see where we are coming off the wave and then either add 5' or leave it.

The only con is that they are a little pricey. At least $100 if I recall.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@itsdgm I have that airhead rope as a backup. I bought it 2 seasons ago intending it to be my new primary. My hardline handle got nicked by a friends prop boat so I figured I would get a new rope and use the hardline as a secondary. We used the airhead for about a season and a half. When I looked at the airhead rope this spring I noticed it is starting to fray on several sections, making me question it's safety. The material of the rope is not as strong as the hardline. The plastic sheathing was very easy to spot in the water. Now we are back to the hardline, with a slight nick in the handle which doesn't bother me.

Woodr35

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We have an el-cheapo rope and one of those mack-daddy expensive ones (given to us) and I can't really tell the difference in terms of "pop". For perspective....I'd classify myself as "advanced beginner" (never have an issue starting, can surf and turn hard, frontside grinds, surface 180's but get wobbly riding switch) - all that without a tower! If you are a beginner suggest going cheap then if your skills improve and you start getting big air and/or need more pop then maybe upgrade. Oh, lately I've preferred a shorter rope length (~50ft?) as its the only way I stand a chance of clearing the wake.:chicken:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I agree with Woodr35. Somehow I've ended up with more wakeboard and ski ropes/cables, from $15 to $150, than I know what to do with. I've used them all and can't tell the difference performance wise. It does hurt a lot less when a cheap one gets sucked up into the pump though. The segmented ropes are nice since you can dial in the length and the extra segments make good dock lines since they already have loops at both ends.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies everyone. After doing some digging, it looks as if one of the ropes that I have is actually a proline wakeboard rope. I haven't measured it, but it looks to be around 60-65 ft. After some of the responses, it sounds like I dont need to change anything just yet.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you get an expensive PVC covered one, be careful of how you wind and unwind it. If you put twists in the line the PVC will snap and the shock of that snap on the rope inside usually causes it to break. Learned that the hard way. Now I coil my tow lines (and other ropes) with the over/under method.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
wakesurfing..ronix....wakeboarding...accurate lines

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I also have the Airhead spectra rope and like it. Relatively inexpensive for a no stretch rope.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you get an expensive PVC covered one, be careful of how you wind and unwind it. If you put twists in the line the PVC will snap and the shock of that snap on the rope inside usually causes it to break. Learned that the hard way. Now I coil my tow lines (and other ropes) with the over/under method.

That is the proper way to coil up any long cord/rope/hose etc to avoid kinks, twists etc! One of the things I learned in the TV business (ok--actually learned it at Syracuse Univ.). Works great on all cables--but most especially on any long ones.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I asked the same question and bought the rope that @itsdgm recommended. My son improved a lot just with a switch to this rope. The weird part is that when I tried this I didn't get up after 3 tries and I have never missed before. I say it is the herneated disc and not the rope.