• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

After 1 year of use is this normal?

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My "new" boat is one year old this coming holiday (July4th) I was underneath checking the paddle wheel for a speedometer problem and notice a lot of oxidation / paint peeling underneath. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to help here? Clean and paint parts? Powder coat parts? Appreciate all suggestions.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you boat in salt water or fresh?

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The previous owner stated that he boated in salt water once and flushed and washed with saltaway After its only exposure. I will be in freshwater lakes only. In fact its been flushed 3 times in 5 days though freshwater lakes.

Is this saltwater corrosion?

Last edited:

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does she sit in the water a lot?

I asked about salt water because my boat tends to get a similar in appearance build up on the jets when it sits in salt water for a week or more. It comes off when I run in freshwater for a while. I do not see any signs of corrosion.

I think what you see on the jet is sine kind of hard water build up.

As for the paint that has come off, both of my Yamahas have had similar areas but I have not owned a new one so I have no idea how long it should stay pristine.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I coat my nozzles and whatnot in silicone spray after the post boating cleanup. Hoping it helps in the long run. I try to not get it on the zincs so they can do their job.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My boat is going on 8 years old and the paint is only coming off in a few spots. I know a lot of people's peel too. Not sure why yours is so advanced. But my jet nozzles look clean too. I boat in salt water and clean my boat very well after each outing. Not sure if that has something to do with it.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I coat my nozzles and whatnot in silicone spray after the post boating cleanup. Hoping it helps in the long run. I try to not get it on the zincs so they can do their job.
This is exactly what I do too. I also grease the cables a bit while I'm down there.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the the information. As far as I know, the boat was used once in the Fl keys and washed and that was it. Rest was fresh lakes. I may consider having that lower grate powder coated over the winter, I'm going to send my powder coating buddy some pictures and see what it would cost me. I thought the reverse bucket was aluminum, but it's plastic... I will begin spraying with silicone too, cheap insurance.

Christian Rodriguez

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I boat only in salt water and my jet does not look like that, but my intake grate is basically grey, the ride plate is beginning and my boat isn't even a year old. Just a lot of use :winkingthumbsup"

Last edited:

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the the information. As far as I know, the boat was used once in the Fl keys and washed and that was it. Rest was fresh lakes. I may consider having that lower grate powder coated over the winter, I'm going to send my powder coating buddy some pictures and see what it would cost me. I thought the reverse bucket was aluminum, but it's plastic... I will begin spraying with silicone too, cheap insurance.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it were me I wouldn't remove the grate by choice. The biggest surprise is your boat has a paddlewheel??? 2014s don't have GPS?

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Does she sit in the water a lot?

I asked about salt water because my boat tends to get a similar in appearance build up on the jets when it sits in salt water for a week or more. It comes off when I run in freshwater for a while. I do not see any signs of corrosion.

I think what you see on the jet is sine kind of hard water build up.

As for the paint that has come off, both of my Yamahas have had similar areas but I have not owned a new one so I have no idea how long it should stay pristine.

Same deal here. Anytime i put my ski or boat in the atlantic i get that spotty buildup aggressively. I also coat it subtantially with silicone or white lithium greese. Before and after use. I coat everything (metal) inside/out with silicone regardless of fresh or salt use regularly. Keep an eye on your anodes. I added a few to my ski after first time i saw this

I never really notice the paint peeling but wouldnt worry about it

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Mine look worse than that. Had 16.4 hours when I purchased her back in March, and apparently just sat in a freshwater lake (Jordan) every summer with (obviously) very minimal use. I plan on pulling both jet drives after the season and attacking them, similar to what @Geoff Cooper did to his.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes to the paddlewheel. You would think by now they would use GPS technology and not require another through hull hole to cut...

@Skokill, Regarding removing the grate, does it cause problems going back on?

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I polished all the hardware and boat only in bottled water from France!

What? Not buying it?

Would you believe..

ok, ok, ok...that looks about normal for a boat that sits in water. Clean it up and go have fun!

For the record, I DO spray mine with Boeshield before and after. (including a squirt into the pump housing) All the components hanging off the ass end get a shot. The cables all still work perfectly with no binding at all.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My SX190 paint had pealed slightly in under 12 months, but the pump never looked like yours, and I was using in the Gulf and brackish water. I did however completely spray the pump housing in T9 Boeshield when new and periodically through the year.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
When I had mine sitting in water all the time the nozzles (etc.) did get a build up just like you have. I cleaned it twice a year. Now I have the boat on a lift and I am still trying to get it to look better but everything works find so I am not that worried. I vary little if any paint peeling but that may be just my boat and the location.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes to the paddlewheel. You would think by now they would use GPS technology and not require another through hull hole to cut...

@Skokill, Regarding removing the grate, does it cause problems going back on?
Some folks have removed and resealed hoping to solve cavitation problems only have have constant issues. To me there isn't a reason to risk it. I'm sure mechanically it's easy to remove and replace and theoretically to reseal it properly. But I subscribe to "if something can go wrong it will". Just my opinion.