• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

algae tip needed

sergio75

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
any advice or tip, about what to use, when you want to have your jet boat in a sea water pontoon for 10 days or more.. is there any kind of wax, liquid, or whatsoever, to avoid algae stick to the hull and aluminium exposed jet parts

what to use, when you want to have your jet boat in a sea water pontoon for 10 days or more
Not sure what you mean by this....but I assume you mean....just having your boat in salt water for 10 days?

Some have put in shut off valves to the water intakes from the jet pumps so you can flush the engines with fresh water. Not much you can do other than putting bottom paint on the hull...which you shouldn't need for just 10 days. Give her a good wax....and clean her well once you take her out.

Not much you can do other than brushing the bottom off weekly. Use a brush on a telescopic pole and clean the water line. If you can beach it or at least get in shallow water you can brush the entire bottom fairly easy. 10 days should not accumulate much growth.

Well, seein' as how you are in Mexico I'd recommend a mask and snorkel. Use a mitt and a suction cup. Just dive in and git 'er done.

This is how we'd clean the hull of the sailboat before a race. The suction cup is important because otherwise you push yourself away from the boat when you scrub it with the mitt. It shouldn't take more than 15 - 20 minutes to do a Yamaha once you get it down.

You can get the suction cups on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/120841584911?lpid=82&chn=ps
$(KGrHqJHJBIE7)2JCqFSBPDN4jNPTQ~~60_35.JPG
And a mitt at most boat stores:
http://www.sailorsams.com/product.asp?itemid=6411&gclid=CKWZzeiVkscCFRCqaQodnasBiw

thumbnail.asp.jpg

thanks for your advice, I wasn't aware of that suction cup products... that can help... but as you guys say, 10 days are not to much, so I just give her a good wash after taking her out with totally awesome, and salt away.... thanks!!!

Our SX230 spent two weeks in the salt water this year. The hull had been waxed last year and vinyl sauced this year. When we pulled her out I was concerned about the growth but we drove through some heavy rain on the way home and this is how she looked when we got home. She spent 11 days in salt water in 2013 and 6 in 2014.

image.jpg

My boat spends about 12 weeks per year in Lake Tahoe and by Labor Day, there's lots of scum on her. Here's how you knock that stuff off easily.
  1. Buy a small plant sprayer. I use a 2-gallon pump one.
  2. Mix diluted wood bleach with water into the sprayer. I buy this from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VBGH82?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01.
  3. Spray on the affected areas.
  4. Wait about 5 minutes.
  5. Wipe off with a sponge. I put on dishwashing gloves for this part.
  6. Since entire area and the trailer well.
With two people cleaning the hull, I can have it looking like new in about 90 minutes. Note that that wood bleach will strip off any wax on the hull, but after sitting in the lake for a season, my boat needs a good detail anyway.

Thanks. that's a good tip... :)

Back