• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Almost sank my boat yesterday

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
long story short, I had just installed the drain plug and was about to launch when my cousin started walking down the ramp so I removed it hoping to let more water drain while I was on the boat ramp. Basically, I got distracted, Before launching I asked my very close friend who was holding the stern line if the plug was installed. He looked and said yes, I said are you sure? He looked again and Again he said yes. Fast forward 15 minutes and 5 miles, we stop to take in the scenery and I notice the bilge pump is on and staying on. Look in the engine compartment and see water over the bilge pump. Check the ski locker, the plug was out, and it is half full of water. Spot a nearby shore and head right over to beach it. Watched the cooling spouts work on the way there so I know those connections are tight. End up checking the drain plug next and sure enough it was unscrewed and about to fall off completely. Not blaming my buddy, I'm the captain and owner, responsible to make sure the drain plug is installed and for all souls aboard my vessel.

We ended up having a great day on the water in part because of what I learned on this site and the other one. the generic lesson is a basic one that applies in many situations though, when things go south don't panic, right away. If you are boating get to shore/get everyone to safety, if you can. Now for me, when in doubt visually verify that the plug is in correctly myself.

@Ronnie glad you made the right moves when trouble was detected. A timeless adage proves itself true once again, "it happens to the best of us".

@Ilmmct , I'm not the bet of us, not nearly as anal as I would have to be the best.

Even with all of the bad experiences and close calls, I won't stop boating. I had one of the best days ever on the water yesterday with my friends and family, having a lot more of those is a permanent bucket list item for me.

Yeah....happens to all of us! Its like rope watching with me.....I'm so anal about it is the only speech I give on the boat...."sucking in a rope is the worst thing we can do, except forgetting the drain plug, so if I check and double check, its just because I'm terrified of making the mistake AGAIN"..... but I expect someday both will happen to me AGAIN!

glad to hear it turned out ok, as we have all said before sharing the bad experiences help everyone gain knowledge and be better prepared in case it ever does happens to them,

I'm very glad it was resolved without incident.

Most all of the "too much water" situations can be helped by a bilge alarm and more pumping power. These enhancements are cheap compared to most mods we add on the boat. Early warning can help greatly. might be worth a thought if you think it could help you in the future. a buzzer and a float can be had for less than $30 if you shop creatively. for less than $150 you can add 2x1200GPH rated bilge pumps with good hose and stainless thru hulls. It's an investment I'm happy to endorse.

Back