• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Amazing Story of survival involving Yamaha

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow that gal has had a rough road.

Makes me wonder if she was on the swim pad at speed? I never let folks cruise back there but if I did, a life jacket would be mandatory.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Great story, thanks for sharing!

Eurocat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This story has managed to get itself onto Msn already.
Glad she got out of this ordeal ok. It is perhaps yet another reminder that boating and heavy drinking rarely result in anything good.
From what it reads it seems that everyone had been drinking. Maybe if they were sober they might have found her/seen her when she fell off.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for sharing. Need to be careful out there as in as instant everything can change. Not sure if she was on the swimdeck or how much alcohol had to do with this, but a scary adventure. Swimdeck is off limits unless people are getting on/off during watersports or we are at anchor.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
What was she doing sitting on the back when the boat was going 40MPH anyway? Out here on the left coast, that'll get ya a ticket every day of the week...

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This is a duplicate of another thread I just read posted by @OCMD .

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Maybe it happened to her twice o_O

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You guys are assuming a lot. I seriously doubt she was very intoxicated to swim that distance in rough water. And if the driver was that intoxicated the sheriff or game warden would have picked up on it when they arrived on scene. But there is no mention of him being charged. I think it's just one of those freak accidents with a great ending and a good lesson of never giving in and never giving up.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You don't live in MD, but sheriffs or game wardens generally do not have responsibility on the water. The DNR (Dept of Natural Resource) Police would be more interested in saving lives than locking someone up. They are woefully understaffed and have no time for locking people up. No doubt excessive use of alcohol contributed to this situation. No sober driver cruses through this type of chop, at dusk, at 40 mph with a passenger on the swim deck. By her own admission, she had too much to drink. Folks will justify however they want, but it is clear that absent the excessive drinking in this situation, this discussion is not occurring.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You don't live in MD, but sheriffs or game wardens generally do not have responsibility on the water. The DNR (Dept of Natural Resource) Police would be more interested in saving lives than locking someone up. They are woefully understaffed and have no time for locking people up. No doubt excessive use of alcohol contributed to this situation. No sober driver cruses through this type of chop, at dusk, at 40 mph with a passenger on the swim deck. By her own admission, she had too much to drink. Folks will justify however they want, but it is clear that absent the excessive drinking in this situation, this discussion is not occurring.
check again. She is not quoted as saying that.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
https://www.facebook.com/lkconner1/posts/10206529397384214

"I was being super careless and yes drunk and just kinda bobbled overboard. And it was no ones fault but my own. I def wanna thank the search and rescue team for their efforts to find my dumbass. Even though they didn't succeed. I must say it wasn't all that bad for me really."

Again. Another example of how drinking to excess and boating (or driving or anything for that matter) many times is the root of the problem which occurs. Another reason I won't be out on the bay on the evening of the 4th, because of the numerous boat captains who will be drinking their asses off all day, stick around for the fireworks, and then try to navigate back to the ramp. No teetotaler here, just overly cautious when I am responsible for the others on my boat.

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Im surprised no one has mentioned pfd. I would never alow anyone on swim deck while underway with out one. Much less add chop dark speed booz...

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The swim deck is not designed to be used underway on these boats. As mentioned, it is completely unsafe to be back there when underway if not unlawful in most states as mentioned. Even the lack of being under the influence won't change that, it just makes it more likely that something bad happens. The fact is, that even at 40mph, carbon monoxide can gather and boil just behind and on the swim deck area, and that in itself can cause dizziness and loss of consciousness. Yet there are owners of these boats that continue to conclude their own safety consciousness will prevent any possibility from happening, and allow passengers to use the swim deck underway. The boat is now being used for wake sports and that brings even more opportunity for this disregard of safety to take place. A rider is well above the CO level and in the fresh air stream, the person on the swim deck isn't. So again, rationalization takes place that they are only out there to toss a handle or something else. I'm glad she was recovered. The swim deck on almost any boat is a big NO NO when engines are running. Drinking is always going to be subjective until it isn't. Almost every bad incident or accident I have witnessed on the water was alcohol related...for that matter, it is related in many of the on land versions of them as well. Freak accidents happen and will continue to. This could have been prevented, you can prevent it...just don't allow anyone back there engines running. And yes, there is exception to everything, such as loading and unloading, retrieving a dock line, or even fishing...but they are just a rationalization.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This could have been prevented, you can prevent it...just don't allow anyone back there engines running. And yes, there is exception to everything, such as loading and unloading, retrieving a dock line, or even fishing...but they are just a rationalization.
Exactly. @txav8r put it perfectly. The problem is when you start to drink alcohol that your "rationalization" abilities are inhibited. The effect on the cerebellum actually hinders/blocks those deep inward thoughts that we have that say "no dumba**, don't do that". Instead you receive another voice that makes you utter "hey, hold my beer and watch this sh*t".

We've all done stupid stuff, but then we learned, corrected our actions, and are now responsible for others on our vessels. I'm all for having fun and a drink or two.. but know your limits and understand your responsibilities. Also important is a periodic Safe Boating review with your crew and always with a first timer!!

Have fun guys - enjoy your 4th!