• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Riding in the back of the boat lounge area..

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would say no, I do it anyways. It's actually pretty safe back there. Since that's where the boat is 'anchored' when you do hit some rough water or another wake, you can barely feel it. If I get pulled I'll just play dumb and hope for the best. Too fun and relaxing to not sit back there.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think it's technically illegal in PA. We don't do it but I've had people go back there for one reason or another while underway, since it's not much of a safety issue with no prop in play (put up the ladder or something). If someone would want to sit back there, I'd want two people, or have someone watching them. Would suck to have them fall off 5 miles back and have the driver not notice. :p

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would say no, I do it anyways. It's actually pretty safe back there. Since that's where the boat is 'anchored' when you do hit some rough water or another wake, you can barely feel it. If I get pulled I'll just play dumb and hope for the best. Too fun and relaxing to not sit back there.
Ever give any thought to the notion that it might be relaxing because you're inhaling carbon monoxide?

It's illegal in California and other states..

Carbon monoxide (co) is a colorless, odorless gas in motor or generator exhaust. Nationwide, there were 493 boating-related carbon monoxide deaths and non-fatal poisonings between 1990 and 2003. Thirty-four of the poisonings occurred in California. DBW recommends that boaters avoid swimming or wading alongside or behind a boat while the engine or generator is running.

The symptoms of CO poisoning may include severe headache, dizziness, confusion, nausea, fainting and death. The symptoms can be similar to the effects of intoxication or too much sun, though, and most victims will not recognize the danger before it is too late. If CO poisoning is suspected, get the victim fresh air immediately and seek medical care.

An additional provision of AB 2222 that will not take effect until May 1, 2005, requires the placement of carbon monoxide warning stickers on new and used boats that are sold.

In addition to that, they can get you for reckless:

Reckless or Negligent Operation of a Vessel
No person shall operate any vessel or manipulate any water skis, aquaplane
or similar device in a reckless or negligent manner so as to endanger the
life, limb or property of any person. Examples of such operation include, but
are not limited to:

Riding on the bow, gunwale or transom of a vessel under way, propelled
by machinery, when such position is not protected by railing or other
reasonable deterrent to falling overboard or riding in a position or
manner that is obviously dangerous. These provisions shall not apply to
a vessel’s crew in the act of anchoring, mooring or making fast to a dock
or another vessel, or in the necessary management of a sail.

Maneuvering towed skiers or devices so as to pass the towline over
another vessel or its skier.

Navigating a vessel, skis or other devices between a towing vessel and its
tow or tows.

Operating under the influence of intoxicants or narcotics.
Other actions such as speeding in confined or restricted areas, “buzzing” or
“wetting down” others, or skiing at prohibited times or in restricted areas
can also be considered reckless or negligent operations.

And they DO enforce it:
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=798896

If your crew wants to relax just shut 'er down and float or throw out an anchor. :cool:

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ever give any thought to the notion that it might be relaxing because you're inhaling carbon monoxide?

It's illegal in California and other states..

Carbon monoxide (co) is a colorless, odorless gas in motor or generator exhaust. Nationwide, there were 493 boating-related carbon monoxide deaths and non-fatal poisonings between 1990 and 2003. Thirty-four of the poisonings occurred in California. DBW recommends that boaters avoid swimming or wading alongside or behind a boat while the engine or generator is running.

The symptoms of CO poisoning may include severe headache, dizziness, confusion, nausea, fainting and death. The symptoms can be similar to the effects of intoxication or too much sun, though, and most victims will not recognize the danger before it is too late. If CO poisoning is suspected, get the victim fresh air immediately and seek medical care.

An additional provision of AB 2222 that will not take effect until May 1, 2005, requires the placement of carbon monoxide warning stickers on new and used boats that are sold.

In addition to that, they can get you for reckless:

Reckless or Negligent Operation of a Vessel
No person shall operate any vessel or manipulate any water skis, aquaplane
or similar device in a reckless or negligent manner so as to endanger the
life, limb or property of any person. Examples of such operation include, but
are not limited to:

Riding on the bow, gunwale or transom of a vessel under way, propelled
by machinery, when such position is not protected by railing or other
reasonable deterrent to falling overboard or riding in a position or
manner that is obviously dangerous. These provisions shall not apply to
a vessel’s crew in the act of anchoring, mooring or making fast to a dock
or another vessel, or in the necessary management of a sail.

Maneuvering towed skiers or devices so as to pass the towline over
another vessel or its skier.

Navigating a vessel, skis or other devices between a towing vessel and its
tow or tows.

Operating under the influence of intoxicants or narcotics.
Other actions such as speeding in confined or restricted areas, “buzzing” or
“wetting down” others, or skiing at prohibited times or in restricted areas
can also be considered reckless or negligent operations.

And they DO enforce it:
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=798896

If your crew wants to relax just shut 'er down and float or throw out an anchor. :cool:

Hahah, I knew my reply wouldn't be popular. Not worried about CO while under way. Everything we do could be considered unsafe, this is the least of my concerns.

PolarXJ

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm glad you mentioned this, because that was my first thought as well. Carbon monoxide is the main reason I do not like people riding back there.

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you are moving i really do not see how CM would be any concern with the wind blowing fresh air all around. Ive been on dive boats that billow diesel exhaust and our boats are nothing like that.

PolarXJ

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On the backs of vehicles, and vessels there is a large air eddie that will circulate the contaminated air. Even though it feels like fresh air is coming by, there is still that spot that is only swirling, not blowing by. Adding a body back there adds to the height that the contaminated air will go and swirl because it is creating that low pressure on the back side of the person that is there.

Last edited:

H2Oload

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Most carbon monoxide deaths are on boats with cabins. The owners run the generator overnight and it builds up. They are asleep and never wake up. It's not from riding on the rear seats on a Yamaha. California has all kinds of silly,contradictory laws. I'm not sure I would use them as basis for deciding what is safe or not. I don't allow anyone on swim platform seats simply because I don't want to watch to see if they fall off.....its monkey see monkey do with my kids too.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We call this risk management in the flying business. Aka Risk vs Reward. The risk is getting a ticket, going overboard and getting hurt or killed, experiencing the old jet blast to the vagina or rectum, carbon monoxide poisoning, etc. so what is the reward? You get the same view as most any other seat on the boat right?

This is one topic that revives occasionally that seems to have a very clear answer for me every time... Don't do it is my opinion.

Be safe out there.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

PolarXJ

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ben hammond While I agree that most deaths from CM are inside boats something to consider is that CM poisoning could start to have effects on someone then can contribute to a lack of swimming and breath holding ability should they end up in the water.

All this said, will someone get CM poisoning riding on the back of their yamaha? Probably not, but it is not the safest thing to do, and when alcohol is added to the situation it is just one more factor that can add up to a tragic event happening.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Riding on a moving boat on the swim platform is illegal in many (most/all?) states.

Every boat owner / operator has responsibilities to their passenger(s) and others on the waterway, some explicitly defined by law, many are not. This is one that is explicitly defined by law.

Can you get away with it? Sure, you can and many do. But should you? Your choice. And your responsibility. Agree with @jawsf16 on this one.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On the whole, the CO poisoning prevention programs seem to be working. Far fewer deaths are being reported since steps were taken to enforce the regulations.

For the record, Alcohol is still the #1 contributing factor in boating deaths and Open Motorboats are THREE times as likely to be involved. Cabin motorboats ranked third after Personal Watercraft.
Where cause of death was known, 78% of fatal boating accident victims drowned. Of those drowning victims with reported life jacket usage, 84% were not wearing a life jacket.

So if you're going to skirt the law, at least make sure anyone riding on your transom has a life jacket on. That way when they succumb to CO poisoning the body will float.

Here's some great info, take a moment to go through the slide show...edjumacate yourself so you can recognize the effects of CO on you or your family and friends.

http://www.slideshare.net/OutreachNSBC/co-poisoning-presentation-ibwss-2012

An excerpt regarding CO emissions and open boats:

boatrelated-carbon-monoxide-poisoning-26-638.jpg

One minute, that's all it takes. And there are no do-overs.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We call this risk management in the flying business. Aka Risk vs Reward. The risk is getting a ticket, going overboard and getting hurt or killed, experiencing the old jet blast to the vagina or rectum, carbon monoxide poisoning, etc. so what is the reward? You get the same view as most any other seat on the boat right?
Couldn't agree more!!! Why take the risk!

So if you're going to skirt the law, at least make sure anyone riding on your transom has a life jacket on. That way when they succumb to CO poisoning the body will float.
Love it!

I never allow. Our swim deck almost certainly produce a nice draft pocket back there. Scott below is correct....you can see it on a this boat, our Yamaha's are almost certainly no different.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/excessive-exhaust-exhaust-rolling-into-the-cockpit.5722/

I would have not given the co2 idea much thought while underway until I saw the video in the attached thread where you can see the smoke eddie come forward even at speed,
I'm not going to risk finding out (in one minute) that my choice was a really stupid one...and live the rest of my life knowing I killed or seriously injured a loved one or friend. The only way I'd allow this if someone did some exhaustive (pardon the pun) tests to prove there are no dangerous levels of CO on the back of MY exact model of boat. I also assume that Yamaha may have looked at this, and couldn't pass a CO test to make those seats legal to ride in while underway....but they might not have bothered.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Everyone always wants to ride back there but I don't allow it unless we are going slow. I worry about sudden stops are starts that may cause someone harm. It is not illegal here.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Everyone always wants to ride back there but I don't allow it unless we are going slow. I worry about sudden stops are starts that may cause someone harm. It is not illegal here.
From the GA DNR:

"Riding on the Bow or Gunwale is illegal if the boat is not equipped with a railing or some other retaining device. As a boat operator, you are prohibited from allowing your passengers to ride on the bow or gunwale."

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Illegal in MN too.

Here is the excerpt from the DNR Boating regs (pg 6):
http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/boatwater/boatingguide.pdf
"To ride or sit on the gunwales, bow, transom, or decking over the bow, sides or stern of any motorboat while underway, unless it is equipped with an adequate railing. It is also illegal to operate a motorboat while any person is so riding or sitting."

marc7

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length