• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Amp wiring

Oscar0421

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am a total newbie to installing amps so please be patient. I have a five channel amp with 3 set of rca and a four channel with 2 set of rca. My stock infinity prv-340 only has 3 rca plug ins. Is it okay if I use splitters? Also the ground 4 guage cable isnt long enough. I received a very long positive cable. Can I use it for the ground back to the battery and just label it?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You Infinity probably has 3 RCA OUTPUTs (not INs).

Have you confirmed that all the RCAs on your AMPs are all INs. More expensive AMPs will also have an Output channel so you can daisy chain AMPs.

All AMPs will also have a 2/4/6/8 channel switch (depending on the number of channels) - if you set a 4 channel AMP's switch to "2", then it sends the input signal on the first 2 inputs to ALL 4 channels. This is helpful when you have limited RCAs. You just have to think about which channels you want to be "Front" and "Rear" on your head unit in the event you ever want to be able to fade.

Oscar0421

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Below are pics. The top is 5 channel and the other one is 4 channels.

D8105_controls.png
D3104_controls.png

Oscar0421

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can I run splitters for one of the output on radio to run the four channel amp, another splitter to run the five channel and have the sub?

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It's OK to use splitters, but I'm confused on what you are trying to do?
How many speakers are you running off of those amps?

As for the wire, are you planning on using the 4ga to power both amps?

To figure out what size wire you will need you need to know the distance from the battery to the amps and also the power requirements of each amp.

You will also need to protect your power wire with a fuse or breaker, the size of the fuse or breaker will be dependent on your wire size.

Oscar0421

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's OK to use splitters, but I'm confused on what you are trying to do?
How many speakers are you running off of those amps?

As for the wire, are you planning on using the 4ga to power both amps?

To figure out what size wire you will need you need to know the distance from the battery to the amps and also the power requirements of each amp.

You will also need to protect your power wire with a fuse or breaker, the size of the fuse or breaker will be dependent on your wire size.
I am running 6 speakers and a sub.

No, I am using two different amp wiring kits.

The amp wiring kit I bought comes with a fuse.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am running 6 speakers and a sub.

No, I am using two different amp wiring kits.

The amp wiring kit I bought comes with a fuse.
OK makes sense.
You can use the red wire for the negative, just wrap some of the red insulation with black electrical tape to indicate it's the negative.

If your receiver has 3 outputs one of them will more than likely be a sub out, so you can split the other 2 signals for you other speakers.