• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

An Apple a day...

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well?

Who else managed to watch the "Event" today?

Don't scratch your head and act like you don't know what I am talking about.

Tim Cook got a new shirt and needed a reason to show it off. Oh, THAT event!
IPhone 6 and 6+. God bless 'em. They sure do make it easy. And the Apple Watch. I'll be fuckin' broke before you can take a bite of that Apple!:confused: Did you see the stock?

So? What do you all think?

I'm withholding any opinion yet.....because I don't really have one.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I would buy apple stock long before i buy their products.
A samsung is better

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
I am an apple guy. My wife and I both have completely fine iPhone 5's. Our contracts are up with Verizon on 5 October. So I have a decision to make in the near future.

Other than a faster bigger phone and a new payment option, I really don't have a need for a new one. I don't feel like they brought anything ground breaking to the table that makes me just HAVE to have one NOW. I barely use my phone for 1/2 of what it can probably do.

As for the watch, kinda cool. Impressive in comparison to other wearables. I'm not sold yet. I love the nice watch I have. Not sure how I could switch. Didn't Casio calculator watches go out of style a few years ago anyway!

This topic may be as close to political as we get (as some have a strong opinion apple/android). Can't wait for the bashing to begin. Cheers!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I like the NPR write up on today's annoucements....the Watch in particular...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2014/09/09/347135536/the-apple-watch-is-here-and-another-tech-hype-cycle-commences

To me the only thing the watch adds over existing watches is NFC, which Samsung phones already have....and why putting it on the phone makes a lick of difference (as the watch won't do anything without the phone nearby). So in terms of the hype around the whole "Reveal" looks to have been a big fat DUD to me. W0w! They are now making phones to compete with just about every Droid manufacturer....that's news!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I love both pics!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

10-8

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's true that they really are trying to catch up to phone features introduced 1-2 years ago. I was really surprised that they didn't include wireless charging. I absolutely love mine. I just set my phone on a stand next to the bed with the phone running a night clock and it charges.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
The more and more I am reading this morning, I really am starting to believe that the almighty Apple really missed the mark on this phone. Very disappointing on the lack of innovation and advancement that we are(were) typically used to from apple. On top of that the phone kinda looks ugly. Now that new Note with the curved edge... that's a pretty cool advancement. Oh well. Maybe the iPhone 6+S that comes out in 12 months will provide a breakthrough!
@10-8 do you use one of those aftermarket charging mats with a special phone case?

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@GiddYupJoe , I'm an Apple guy, too.... I guess....I mean I've spent a ton of $$ on their products over the years. What with 5 kids, 7 grandkids, that's a lot of iPods, iPhones, iPads, iMacs, MacBooks....you get the idea.

Although I've probably spent as much or more on PC's and all kinds of gadgets and gizmos. I guess I just dig electronic devices. :headphone:

I have to agree with those who lament the absence of removable memory cards, swappable batteries, upgradable memory, etc. If they would have added just half of those things it would make it a much better product IMHO.

The NFC doesn't excite me, but I am interested in the secure payment process and since I've had cards hi-jacked before, it might be worth investigating so I don't have to go through all the BS that comes with having an account hijacked. If I can use the 5S and the watch and have that secure app, I might just buy in.

Last year I upgraded everyone to the 5S, so they ain't gettin' phones this year. The watch does intrigue me though. I like watches, all kinds. I won't need another winder since all my boxes are full, but I'd like to know just how often you have to charge the damn thing.

They are really missing the mark by announcing that it won't be out for the Christmas shopping season...unless they sell pre-orders. My youngest daughter and my wife already picked out their favorite watch and it would be a slam dunk for me to get those gifts out of the way right now....but, noooo, Apple screwed the pooch on that one.

But the best reveal yesterday, hands down, is the new Mercedes AMG GT. I want one of those. I'm pretty sure I NEED one of those. So I'll be here at my desk figuring on how I can expense that sucker...:rolleyes:

10-8

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The more and more I am reading this morning, I really am starting to believe that the almighty Apple really missed the mark on this phone. Very disappointing on the lack of innovation and advancement that we are(were) typically used to from apple. On top of that the phone kinda looks ugly. Now that new Note with the curved edge... that's a pretty cool advancement. Oh well. Maybe the iPhone 6+S that comes out in 12 months will provide a breakthrough!
@10-8 do you use one of those aftermarket charging mats with a special phone case?
I didn't have to change the case or battery, it's just a very slim piece that goes on the inside of the phone. The charger sits at just the right angle for viewing.. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DG8NUC8/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Thanks for the link @10-8 thats pretty slick!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Apple stock downgraded on iPhone 6, Watch concerns

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101987633#.

I won't buy an iPhone until the battery lasts for multiple days or you can replace the battery on the fly....and add a memory card and at least 2 more buttons (Menu and back)

spaz1868

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Apple has not innovated since Steve Jobs passed. They are now following the market and slowly losing market share.

HawkTX

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was disappointed to see that there's no real significant battery change or wireless charging.

Tranio

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 6 and my wife's 6 plus are already ordered.(my company was switching providers anyway) I really could careless about all the stuff everybody thinks it should have, I can't see needing any of it. I never really liked android, I have had several of them. Really though, they all do mostly the same thing. I don't really get all the fuss over what is better.

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm not sure what I'm doing yet. I have an iPad for work. I have an iPad 4 for home and an iPad 1 that I use for the boat and any time I don't want to risk damaging the 4. And my previous 4 phones have been iPhones. With all the chords already purchased, chargers, familiarity, icloud, and iTunes compatibility it makes sense to keep with the iPhone.

With that said, I didn't really want a larger cell phone. I like the size of the 5. The new size of the 6 makes me nervous I won't like it. I'm sure I'm in a minority of smart phone users that don't want something huge. I also don't think apple has done anything revolutionary for a very long time, although I do think they build a quality device that looks good and functions well. I also love iCloud and the ease of backup.

So do I take a chance with the 6, save money and get a 5s, or look into other phones? Hmmm...