• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anchor locker drain - huh?

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, mostly I'm just venting since I hate "stupid" but can anyone tell me why the heck the anchor locker drain is about 3" up from the bottom of the locker??

I couldn't believe it when I found out the cup holders drained spilled beer and coke to the carpeted storage locker below - by design - but this strikes me as at least just as dumb. And it's another place that should be checked for water when winterizing!

Is this just a 2012 quirk? Has anyone filled this in and if so with what?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How about: why does the anchor locker drain forward instead of aft like everything else?

greg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 2015 is same way. Always has 3 inches of water after cleaning. But it also takes on alot of water in no wake zones

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
On my 09, the drain is on the bottom of the locker. It does however, pretty much fill up the locker when idling. As soon as the bow lifts up, the water drains out. I checked the anchor locker once while idling and there was 8-9" of water in there. At least I it doesn't leak back into the boat and it looks like this is by design. Morale of the story is now at the ended of every weekend the anchor line now gets laid on the floor of the boat so it can dry.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I put a cork in the anchor locker drain from the inside of it. Now I see very little water come out of the main drain after a day or a few on the water. I'm almost certain that water from the anchor locker sloshes over the side walls of the locker and into the bilge. Admittedly, I have a first year (2010) 240 series boat but thought Yamaha should hav addressed this by now instead of building the 2015s and probably the 2016s the same way. How hard can it be to put a one way flap/removable plug in the drain or to put the drain lower in the locker?

Last edited:

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@msavold. The anchor locker drain is located above the reinforced fiberglass. I agree a bottom drain would have been nicer but that would have required Yamaha to install the drain as they laid up the fiberglass rather than just drilling a hole in the thin wall of the fiberglass after the boat is built.

On my boat I just sealed up the cup drains with caulking. It's just easier to wipe them with a damp rag when cleaning up.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Gym, I think I would have been happy with 'closer to' the bottom - not 3" up if bottom is a no go!

@Julian that's what got my attention in the first place... salt/brackish water, boat sits for a few weeks in the hot sun, open the anchor locker and... what's that aroma? Sheesh. Has a drain, assumed it would, well, DRAIN?

Time to open a bottle of wine and then get an Xacto knife out and get to work.

eticket

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Seriously thinking of looking at mine to see if a hole can be drilled on the aft side of the locker to drain to the bilge with the rest of creation.

Of course, with my luck, I will angle down too far and drill through the bottom of the boat...

Maybe I will stay at home today.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I silicone sealed my cup holders... both the cup holder drail and around the cup holder itself. no more water from spill drinks or wet kids dripping as they jump in the water and play.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I did the same thing as @Eric Ballard. I didn't like the idea of spilled drinks making their way down to the bilge. A microfiber towel can soak up a cupholder worth of rain water / beer.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
my anchor drain hole is pretty close to the bottom. it fills with pebbles and crap the anchor pulls up from time to time. maybe the raised hole is to let the debris settle down, keeping the drain hole free flowing? My cupholders drain spigots are sealed up.......but damn...how much stuff are you spilling ? I replaced my cupholders with ones that have a rubber insert...easy to pull out and wash..but i never have.

..I use to dive on old shipwrecks...found these/pieces of on occasion ..they are designed so you never put your drink down.....which would allow it to spill...just hang onto that beverage!
upload_2016-8-23_8-56-47.png

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@justason, I take alcohol abuse very seriously and would never waste my own drink! However, the thought of one of our friends accidentally spilling rum and coke in a cupholder, noticing it drained away and not worrying about it is a situation I can totally see playing out. I can only imagine the ants that I would have if there was a bilge full of sugary drink. Or the pirates if it was mostly rum.

For me, it's much better to keep the liquids above board where I can see the spills and deal with them accordingly.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have run into it much more while cleaning the boat. If I hose out the bow, the storage areas beneath get soaked! That should go to the bilge. I kinda like the idea of sealing them...

MNdrifter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I pumped a tube of silicone into the bottom of the anchor locker, and sloped it slightly to the drain.
I find that the cup holders in the bow fill up with rain water that flows off the windshield.
I used plastic tubing to route the cup holder drains to the center of the boat and under the floor along with the console and glove box drains.

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I pumped a tube of silicone into the bottom of the anchor locker, and sloped it slightly to the drain.
Aha! That would work!
(Not sure why I didn't think of that... If I can get it cleaned and dried out well, the silicone should stick pretty well to the hull and keep crap and water from getting under it.)

I've been meaning to look into tube routes on our 24'. I like that the cup holders drain - especially when hitting the bow area with a hose - so I'm reluctant to just plug them. And then, if there is a viable route, I'm even more annoyed that the stock version just drains to carpeted storage.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length