• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anchor locker, PLUG or UNPLUG?

TS4811

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, as a lot of us are discovering our anchor locker drains leak like launching the boat without the drain plug installed. With that notion, why not put a plug in the drain to keep the water out and be done with it? So that's the question plug it or not? And if not WHY?

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Interesting concept.
I'll be following to see what experienced guys like @Julian and @Bruce have say about that idea.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Pullen724

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I plug mine always. I see no reason not to.
I just use a rubber stopper from home depot. Fits perfect and less than a buck.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Seal it with marine 5200 then drill a hole through it for drainage. My 2017 ar240 needed it done and that was the first thing we did. We were parked out on the Gulf 2 days ago and I watched inside the anchor locker as the bow dipped up and down and water was flowing in and out. When we pulled the boat at the ramp, I opened the drain while still on the incline and not 1 drop came out. Now I don't have to worry about water collecting in there from the top.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ideally when you use your anchor in the ocean, you will want to rinse it and the rode upon return....if it drained to the bilge, then all the rinse water would end up in the boat, with the current drain, it just goes overboard. If the drain didn't LEAK....this would be a non-issue. So if you boat in fresh water, plug the drain and you'll likely never rinse your rode! If you boat in salt water...plug it...and just unplug it when you rinse....either way...fix the leak if you have one!

TS4811

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the explanation, I guess we forget about you salties! It must be a real nightmare for you guys as this defect must drench the boat with salt water. I am not sure it wouldn't pump the locker full underway at slow speeds and passengers in bow. Once I fix mine, I will test in FRESH water.

gackt3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am not quite sure about it.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the explanation, I guess we forget about you salties! It must be a real nightmare for you guys as this defect must drench the boat with salt water. I am not sure it wouldn't pump the locker full underway at slow speeds and passengers in bow. Once I fix mine, I will test in FRESH water.
Hmmm. I've been using my 06 SX230 exclusively in salt water for 6 years without any problems. Ocassionally I see a half cup of water in there but no more. I figure most of that comes from stowing a wet anchor & rode in the locker when leaving the beach. I also never rinse the anchor & rode with no ill effects. The rode is origional to the boat.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
my 2017 AR240 had a small hole in the anchor drain between the two hull pieces I sealed it with 5200 and silicon it now drains in and out of the locker fine with no leaking into the boat. Another option to help assist this is adding a drain vent cover like many offshore boats have this would let most water slide right past the hole but still drain.

anhor locker vent.JPG

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@robert843
I have tried to find one of those online without success. Any ideas where I can find one?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score