• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anchoring question

RAD1

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Hi guys, great site and I am glad to be here. Because of members appreciation of the box anchor I bought one and love the ease of use. When I anchor though my boat sometimes has significant swing and doesn't stay completely still. Is this normal? Have I not let out enough scope? I don't have a chain on the box as recommended with the fluke and am wondering if I am doing anything wrong. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks again for the formation of this site!

Troy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No boat will stay completely still no matter how set the anchor is on the bottom. Swing happens because of wind, currents, and tide. This is normal. If your boat does a big swing, say 180 degrees, the anchor can break loose then reset itself causing some movement. One of the cool functions of a box anchor is how fast it can reset.

InTooDeep

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The problem I've run into when anchoring is that our boats will drift/swing faster than boats that have an outboard in the water. As mentioned above, it is natural for the boat to pivot when the wind/current shifts. You have to be careful of how close you are to other boats because you are going to move faster then they will.

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you attaching your anchor rope to a cleat or your bow hook? I use to just tie off to the cleat and had a large amount of swing. I now run a hook down to my bow hook and it seems to cut out some of the swing. With our boats being very light, I have found that they swing more than most boats.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi guys, great site and I am glad to be here. Because of members appreciation of the box anchor I bought one and love the ease of use. When I anchor though my boat sometimes has significant swing and doesn't stay completely still. Is this normal? Have I not let out enough scope? I don't have a chain on the box as recommended with the fluke and am wondering if I am doing anything wrong. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks again for the formation of this site!
RAD1, all good questions, but need more info to answer them....
The box anchor is great, anyone who has one will tell you.

Where you are anchoring and the prevailing weather conditions will typically dictate what your boat will do. As you know, Yamahas are light and don't have dangly bits such as outdrives, rudders, skegs, etc. that catch the current and keep the hull in line with the current, so they are more easily pushed about on top of the water by the wind.
Many times the wind and current don't cooperate and you'll find that the boat can move a lot during a day on the lake or river.
A 7-1 scope will usually do the trick in most favorable conditions, though many of my friends with box anchors use less. Of course, the easiest way to get the boat under control is to use a stern anchor or, if you are anchoring just off the beach, a sand spike up on the beach is just the ticket.
Scope can be tricky if you are anchoring among a herd of boats....they all don't have the same characteristics and usually I find that the Yamaha is the lightest in the bunch.
In the photo below you can see that all the boats are anchored the same way, anchor off the bow....back in towards the beach with a line running up to a spike. You can see two new arrivals bow-in. They'll unload, turn around and set the same way.
So if everyone uses the same tackle, same technique, you rarely get issues...unless a monsoon comes through...then it's a mad scramble!

Using this same picture as an example: the current is consistent from one side, the wind is typically consistent, but can vary from 10 to 20 degrees and the water level on the Colorado rises and drops on a schedule, so we can let out or take in anchor rode as needed if it's going to be a long day. I know from experience that the Yamaha will swing much more than the Malibus and other ski boats due to it's characteristics.beach.jpg

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yup....boats will swing in the wind, and boats without a keel or stern drive/outboard will swing faster. My wife is always asking me if the anchor has shifted. I just flip on the GPS and show her the arc we've been moving in. I can also set an anchor alarm on the GPS to alert us if it is indeed slipping (but never have).

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here's a video that we did to show how to prevent the stern from swinging. We use two anchors. One of the port bow and off the starboard stern.

Last edited:

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gotta love those Fortress anchors!

I just visited your site for the first time Will, great work! You've come a long way. Here's to a prosperous New Year for you and JetBoaters.net!

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Glassman Thanks! The new site has been a bear getting it up and running smoothly. We had some old software that was working but to grow we needed to increase our capabilities. Tough work!!! Thanks for the encouragement!

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
All good points above.

I have the box anchor and it's awesome. I do experience a lot of swinging side to side when the current is stronger. I have no fins either. But to HELP combat the swinging, I have a second anchor I set off the stern of my boat. Helps a great deal.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm making my "Boat List" so I can replenish all my supplies and replace a few things before we hit the water. I'll placing an order soon!
Typically we'd be going out to the river for Spring Break, but I think we will hit the desert one more time and give the water some time to warm up. :cool:

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I pretty much use a shore line every time I anchor. It eliminates the boat movement. I do need a shore spike though. I built one but it is too big to pound in. I will have to try again. Cam.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Norboo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here's a video that we did to show how to prevent the stern from swinging. We use two anchors. One of the port bow and off the starboard stern.

@JetBoatPilot, in your video, you said it is a FX-7, 7lbs anchor, but isn't FX-7 a 4lbs anchor? I spent some time looking for a FX-7, 7lbs anchor without success. lol

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
82ceee13-2c41-484a-bac1-ec99039f27fb_400.jpg
Cam, too funny. I built one too and it was awesome, but just too big and heavy to deal with all the time. I ended up using a big plastic stake I got at Home depot. That plus a dead blow hammer does the trick. And the stakes are cheap, so I bought a bunch.

Norboo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have both box and shore spikes both is stainless steel. Beautiful, but very heavy. I might sell them both but the weight of them make it hard to ship.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I personally have a lot more luck with my Richter anchor vs. my small box anchor. In swift river currents, the Richter holds while the box drags.

I usually use the Richter as my main anchor and just use the box to help stabilize it when I'm using two anchors.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You're right. That is a 4 lb anchor.