• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

ANOTHER UPGRADE-WINCH

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I have a 2021 Shorelandr trailer and want to upgrade to a 2-speed winch, preferably a Fulton F2. Problem is the mounting. The $60 Dutton-Lainson that's on there now seems to be a complete unit with the mounting bracket. Can I buy a different bracket, or a complete assembly? Suggestions appreciated.

Checked out the Fulton site, as well as eTrailer. I didn't find any kit or anything that goes with it... I did find that there are 3 studs on the bottom for mounting and that the mounting surface needs to be at least as big as the winch.

I know, not very helpful... but there you go.

Yeah, pretty much stuck with it. There’s an option to upgrade to a 2 speed galvanized version. Also, if I understood correctly, mine can be converted to a 2-speed. Still looking. Thank you

Do post what you find. Leave some breadcrumbs for the next person...

Do post what you find. Leave some breadcrumbs for the next person...
I ended up finding a direct fit 2-speed winch for my 2021 Shorelandr trailer from HannaRv.com.
SK6565803
$389.00 plus shipping. Cannot get a shipping cost estimate until I purchase it. I'm figuring another $100. I'm on the fence right now because the guy at HannaRV says 2-speed winches are not being used much anymore. With water levels so low this year in CA, the ramps are steep, and I really have to crank on the winch. Was hoping the 2-speed would ease the effort. This winch includes the mounting bracket. I was wondering, and maybe somebody knows, can I remove the current winch DL1802A from the bracket, and just assemble a new winch in the bracket. You can order just the winch, sans the bracket. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Are you sure a Fulton F2 2 speed won’t fit on your trailer? $389 plus shipping sounds outrageous unless it’s an electric winch.

I can count the number of times I have engaged the second speed on my Fulton F2 over the last 10 years on the fingers of one hand. However I powerload whenever I can.

Are you sure a Fulton F2 2 speed won’t fit on your trailer? $389 plus shipping sounds outrageous unless it’s an electric winch.

I can count the number of times I have engaged the second speed on my Fulton F2 over the last 10 years on the fingers of one hand. However I powerload whenever I can.
Ramps are steep this year, and I'm old AF....lol

The tower on the Shorelandr trailer is different. It's Dutton-Lainson or nothing. I'd have to upgrade the whole mount on the tongue. I've got more important upgrades right now.

what lb winch strap is good for our 24s ?

what lb winch strap is good for our 24s ?
The strongest you can find that fits! As I have had one break and it’s a PITA! Thanks to the general let’s put the cheapest stuff on the trailer possible from the factory. My strap was only 3.5 seasons old, boat is stored in doors. Also keep in mind we boat for 4 months out of the year up in WI. Part on my frustration was when I removed the strap and saw the low weight limit on the strap (I don’t recall what it was, but it was much lower than I was expecting).

Last edited:
Whats the advantage to a two speed? I don't power on, so something quicker would be nice.

My winch goes on and the strap curls up to one side.

The advantage of a 2 speed winch is that if you are having a hard time winching your boat onto its trailer because, for instance the ramp is steep, you can switch to the second gear making turning the handle easier. That is you don’t need as much force to get the boat to the bow stop. It will take more rotations of the handle but you won’t strain as much doing it, just like gears on bicycle.

I ended up finding a direct fit 2-speed winch for my 2021 Shorelandr trailer from HannaRv.com.
SK6565803
$389.00 plus shipping. Cannot get a shipping cost estimate until I purchase it. I'm figuring another $100. I'm on the fence right now because the guy at HannaRV says 2-speed winches are not being used much anymore. With water levels so low this year in CA, the ramps are steep, and I really have to crank on the winch. Was hoping the 2-speed would ease the effort. This winch includes the mounting bracket. I was wondering, and maybe somebody knows, can I remove the current winch DL1802A from the bracket, and just assemble a new winch in the bracket. You can order just the winch, sans the bracket. Thank you in advance.

I've never heard of a two speed winch before. So the lower gear allows for more torque? Even with low water levels, can't you just still go further back into the water? I've always dipped the trailer until fenders are below the waterline, then wife pushes boat towards me, and I latch it with the winch.

The actual pulling of the boat weight is only about the last 2-3 feet, just enough to snug it up and get the safety chain attached.

I've never heard of a two speed winch before. So the lower gear allows for more torque? Even with low water levels, can't you just still go further back into the water? I've always dipped the trailer until fenders are below the waterline, then wife pushes boat towards me, and I latch it with the winch.

The actual pulling of the boat weight is only about the last 2-3 feet, just enough to snug it up and get the safety chain attached.

I owned the F2 for a year before realizing how to go into the low gear. It does work well for sure. Same as the others, I don't winch very far, but it's nice to have it geared down when the boat is being stubborn and I'm in a hurry.

Here is the 2-speed version of the winch that is mounted on my trailer. You can purchase it separately, and install it in the current bracket. Hopefully. It's a 1/3 of the cost if you purchase the whole assembly (SK6565803)

My shorelander has an DL1800A winch and according to the manual it has two shafts, normal-speed and a high-speed. You have to attach the handle to the corresponding shaft you want to use. I havent needed to switch between them so not sure how well it works but im guessing its the same concept as the F2 but instead of a lever to switch you have to manually switch.

Here are a few pics of the Fulton F2 2 speed winch. The second gear is engaged by pulling the handle out a little. Other nice features all F2 winch have, including the single speeds, are that it is fully enclosed so no fingers or hair can get caught up in the gears, this also makes it a great step into or out of the bow. The handle can be installed on either side and if it breaks replacements are readily available. Finally the mounting points on the bottom are slotted so the position of the heads of the mounting bolts can be adjusted left to right / up and down.

I think I bought mine for around $200 over 10 years ago and I replaced the handle once for around $30 (the cost of an oem winch at the time) so from a price perspective I consider it a premium winch. As such I had beads of weld put on the threads of the mounting bolt / nut to prevent some troll with a socket wrench from stealing it. I did the same with the boat buddies (permanently mounted self retracting stern tie down straps).

you can back the boat in further in a steep ramp instead of using a winch but that could cause other problems like the trailer being too low to catch the boat on the bunks, the bow eye being too high or the ramp may be too short for a deeper drop.

I just added bunk slides to my bunks with the goal of making recovery easier and minimizing the use of the winch as much as possible. I’m a big advocate of power loading.

98FB8E64-5276-4458-98DA-19FB3072C2E3.jpeg899F06A5-FB83-461D-896D-80DFE529CCB4.jpegDDB53233-11A8-4FE5-A7B6-C56C4D97B35A.jpeg830172C8-089C-464D-A21F-1869AFBAA3F4.jpeg
AC07FD61-218E-46B0-995C-9F1918BF7D89.jpeg

Is that a boat buddy? Can you give a review on that?

Is that a boat buddy? Can you give a review on that?
I could do one better, if I can find it I would mail you mine. Between the boat buddy II and ramp n clamp I recommend the ramp n clamp. The BB II uses a pin instead of a latch, the pin is easy to bend out of shape and hard to Rebend into the right position. The cover also cracks very easily. You need an extended bow eye for each unit which is usually included with each unit.

@Ronnie let us know how those bunk slides work for you. Many people tried a smooth version of a bunk slide (UBBs or ultimate bunk boards) and found that it was sanding their gel coat down. Yours look different.

@RobbieO I think if I were switching mine out with the express intent of winching the boat up the trailer enough to need a 2 speed drive, I'd get the 3200lb rated version over the 2000lb version.

Last edited:
Back