• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Another winterization question

stever40

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hi all

First, I searched and read several posts about winterization however I don't see a couple questions I have. So, need some opinions.

I asked my dealer about winterization and this is what is included

1) Change Oil
2) Fog Motors
3) Antifreeze
4) Stabilize Fuel
5) Change Jet Pump Oil
6) Silicone Spray Impellers and both motors
7) Grease trailer bearings
8) over-all check.

Most of the items I will perform however I have a couple questions.

1) The 10hr service was performed about 1 month ago at 9hrs and the boat now has 10.1hrs. Will I be OK with this or should I change again and have fresh oil in? I'm sure the next change would be next winter if left.

2) I looked at the manual to find information about changing the jet pump oil. I don't see anything (yet). Is this required at this time? I am sure it is at some point in time.

Also, what is the intent of silicone spray on the motors?

I appreciate your feedback.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn't change your engine oil,
jet pump oil ? I've never heard that phrase, I would have to ask the dealer to explain what this is, are they taking the cone bearing off and greasing it ??

Silicone spray on the engines is probably to help prevent corrosion,

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Agree with @Scottintexas I wouldn't change the oil so soon....would be a waste of good oil and filters.

I have to assume what they meant regarding the jet pump oil was..."Add Lube to the intermediate bearing"....which would have just been done at the 10 hour service as well.

I would think that all of the items in your list except #2, #3 and #4 would have just been done at the 10 hour service. Personally #3 is a waste of time (unless they are talking about this for ballast bags or fresh water tanks). So all you really need to do is:
  1. Rev the engine to blow out water
  2. Fog the engines
  3. Put in Fuel stabilizer
  4. remove the batteries and put on trickle charger
  5. Put NoDamp throughout boat and cover her well (shrink wrap if outside up north)
  6. I like to remove as much from the interior as I can.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Julian added something that I have not seen mentioned much but do myself from experience. Things like life jackets, tubes, rope, etc can collect moisture and grow mold/mildew. I remove everything that I can and store in labeled bins. Takes up a good chunk of storage space but not having to replace those items next season is worth it. Yes, I learned that the hard way many years ago. Leaving the storage compartments open will help air circulate better as well.

stever40

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I wouldn't change your engine oil,
jet pump oil ? I've never heard that phrase, I would have to ask the dealer to explain what this is, are they taking the cone bearing off and greasing it ??

Silicone spray on the engines is probably to help prevent corrosion,
Thanks Scott - this is where my thoughts were as well for the oil and yes, he explained removing the cone. I kind of had a head tilt and confused look when this was being explained

Agree with @Scottintexas I wouldn't change the oil so soon....would be a waste of good oil and filters.

I have to assume what they meant regarding the jet pump oil was..."Add Lube to the intermediate bearing"....which would have just been done at the 10 hour service as well.

I would think that all of the items in your list except #2, #3 and #4 would have just been done at the 10 hour service. Personally #3 is a waste of time (unless they are talking about this for ballast bags or fresh water tanks). So all you really need to do is:
  1. Rev the engine to blow out water
  2. Fog the engines
  3. Put in Fuel stabilizer
  4. remove the batteries and put on trickle charger
  5. Put NoDamp throughout boat and cover her well (shrink wrap if outside up north)
  6. I like to remove as much from the interior as I can.
Thanks Julian. Will perform fogging and stabil. I do intend to also pull the batteries and hook them up to battery tenders. NoDamp as well as dryer sheets going in.

@Julian added something that I have not seen mentioned much but do myself from experience. Things like life jackets, tubes, rope, etc can collect moisture and grow mold/mildew. I remove everything that I can and store in labeled bins. Takes up a good chunk of storage space but not having to replace those items next season is worth it. Yes, I learned that the hard way many years ago. Leaving the storage compartments open will help air circulate better as well.
Yes - All items will be coming out of the boat. Have never liked leaving the items in it and then seeing mold spots like I have with others I know. I put everything into totes and store it in my utility room inside the house. Wife hates it but I just kind of ignore it. I just tell her to pick her battles. That seems to make her understand and goes over well :D