• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anti barking remedies?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Since we got the second dog the older dog has started barking a LOT more. She barks at neighbors walking by, dogs, squirrels, deer, doorbells, the TV, me.....

Seriously considering a bark collar....anyone got one and have thoughts about it?

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We watched a friends dog for a week, they gave a bark collar in case we needed. They were kinda upset when I told them it worked much better after I replaced the batteries. It did work well, dog barked a lot less with the new batteries. Only had to use it for a few days, then when dog would get loud we would threaten it with the collar and it remembered. So I think they are great invention. My wife is a dog person.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bark collars work, just as e-collars work, and wireless fences. I'm a believer. Not cruel at all either, regardless of what some people think.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What breed of dog is the problem child?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The key will be limiting it to good barks. A stranger walking up to the house is a good bark. I would go with something like a whistle unless you want it 100% cut out. ...but I don't know...that may confuse your other dogs that maybe haven't done anything. Maybe a manually operated collar with a remote.....of course if you're like me, it will never be handy when you need it.

I'm all for the collar but it will shut it down 100%. Now, my freakin neighbors need one ASAP!

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Julian we have a terrier that likes to talk a lot... and I mean a lot. We have used bark collars on him for 10 years, the ones that vibrate and shock. They all work very well and they all work very inconsistently and they eat batteries. I wish I could find something better but haven't yet.

The collars all have variable correction levels. Find the one that is needed for your dog, it is not meant to be cruel. It will start working immediately but then they will test the collar occasionally.

Just go to Petsmart and buy the one they have or look online. Petsafe is a decent brand.

I am getting ready to go out the door and once I reach for my keys, I will need to make sure the bark collar is on him. Catch up with you later as I need to go collar my dog, if I can find the darn thing :)

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Another brand I had GREAT results with was SPORTdog. Very consistent.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No, it goes off of vibrations on the neck. My coonhound (born to bark) learned to make "whisper barks"... Quiet enough to not set off the collar. Funny as hell, and was ok with me because it was so quiet.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
These shock collars are banned here in Wales, UK, but not within the rest of the country, we have an alternative, a device that sprays a short, quick spray of citronella oil. It sits at the bottom of the collar and directs the spray upwards towards the dogs nose, good results I here.
The dog maybe looking for attention now it's not the only mutt in the house?

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@Julian we have a 5 y/o Havanese that we got as a puppy. This breed is known for not being big barkers, which is a great trait. Then the Mrs. decided to rescue a 12 y/o Havanese last year. Thought that he would also not be a barker. NOPE. Now he's taught our dog how to bark every time there's a change in temperature or humidity, etc. He's almost deaf, so he can't hear me yelling at him to shut up. Luckily he's a nice pooch with a sweet personality. I do like the idea of the bark collar.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bark collar worked on our dog. Just takes a day or two and then they will whisper bark and then not bark. You can take it off and reapply if needed but usually just showing it to them works.

David D

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
My sons just got a new dog and are using a bark collar with great results. It makes a high-pitched sound and if she continues, give a little jolt. She responds to the sound and hasn't been jolted. Here's what I've noticed, good and not-so-good:

Good
It works. She barks much less, if at all.

Not-so-Good
It could be because they bought a cheap collar on Amazon or eBay, but it will occasionally make the warning sound when there is other really loud (sudden) noise in the room. It also has a false positive if her license tags hit the sound box much. Also, she used to warn us that she needed to go outside with a quick bark -- now we have to be much more in tune with her other communication attempts so we know when to let her out.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I would recommend using the collar manually instead of a bark collar. Because as mentioned above, you will eliminate 100% of the barking, some of which you want them to do. Chester is an electric dog, and he knows he has to behave the minute the collar is installed. His is not a bark collar, it is a manual collar to teach with, and we have taught barking as well as other limitations and rewards. An umbrella can teach as well as a treat, the bark collar is more a way to have someone else train him for you, and it will...but the dog will not know the difference between when it is ok, so they will just fear ever barking.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've never been crazy about the bark collars. I want my dog to bark at sounds outside. He's a 90lb English lab who adores everyone - but his bark can scare people away. He doesn't bark much - just when he hears something, and he goes nuts at the doorbell.
That said - I watched my buddies border collie for a day - that dog wouldn't SHUT UP. I've never experienced such a talkative obnoxious dog. After that day - I'm a firm believer.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I've never been crazy about the bark collars. I want my dog to bark at sounds outside. He's a 90lb English lab who adores everyone - but his bark can scare people away. He doesn't bark much - just when he hears something, and he goes nuts at the doorbell.
That said - I watched my buddies border collie for a day - that dog wouldn't SHUT UP. I've never experienced such a talkative obnoxious dog. After that day - I'm a firm believer.
I think that's why the manual mode works best. Then you can show them what is an appropriate bark and an inappropriate one. Also, you can give a command that means STOP and if they don't then they get the punishment. I like my dogs to bark when a stranger is walking up to the door but I want them to stop when I say ENOUGH.