• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Anyone care to guess what this is and what happened

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
This is your only clue

Attachments

• 20140706_110157.jpg
    20140706_110157.jpg
    456.4 KB · Views: 167
I will play along and say it is material that covers the screw heads so you don't cut/rip anything int he storage compartment. Looks like the part covering the upper screw fell of and is laying over the bottom.

What exactly is the consistency, texture and properties of that white mass? Odd that it is so perfectly formed. Is that an aluminum or stainless 'L' bracket? Is the concealed screw making contact with a source of voltage? Does that bracket get warm? MUST have more clues!

Looks like some serious corrosion to me. Battery acid leak?

When the batteries charge they heat up and will gas off unless they are sealed batteries.

Could a bad battery keep the charger in bulk mode and boil the battery? Or, an inordinate low internal battery impedance receiving too much charge from the boat stators?

So that build-up is aluminum oxide from exposure to battery acid?

It doesn't look like a gas off to me, I think its from an acid drop onto the aluminum bracket. Are your batteries in this area that could have dropped a drop when you installed them last?

I am familiar with that charger. Unless it is defective, that charger should not be at fault.

What is the make and model of the batteries in question?
How many? How were they connected?
All the same age?

Jason

Unless they are sealed AGM or GEL, batteries off gas when charging. Even an AGM must be vented in a passenger compartment, like on a Prius. That is the downside of a standard flooded lead acid...they vent corrosive gas, even if they are not boiling. And standard flooded lead acid need to be checked to assure proper electrolyte levels. But it wouldn't be likely to get that amount of corrosion from normal off gasing in a short amount of time, so something is up Bob.

Back