• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone else fleeing their state?

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Crap! Sorry to hear you didn’t have a boring, uneventful trip. :eek:

Looks like maybe a blowout with the trailer? But also a big-ass rig for the U-haul.

Hopefully you are all safely at your new home.

Jim

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I fled my old Ky home for the sunshine state in late 2019.
Never regretted it for a minute.
Wife and I are in Louisville. I've been here since the 80's. She's been here since the early '00's. We've been hesitant to leave a few times based on proximity to family. She's mostly lost that, and I'm getting close.

We've been discussing the idea of moving south more and more lately. No idea where that is, but lots of friends have suggested FL because of how much we like the water, sun, and boating.

Biggest hurdle now is reinventing our careers again. We're both in exceptionally good places professionally, and would have to leave that to move.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Long story that I’ll tell y’all later but here’s a few pics.
View attachment 192612View attachment 192613
Long story short. Left Friday morning at 4am and got a whole 30 miles before one rim exploded and the second tire on that side blew. A 3 ton jack wouldn’t even think about lifting it so we limped it to a parking lot 1/8th mile away and loaded everything into a U-haul. Got to Waynesboro MS. Where we had to pull over because the truck was making a terrible noise and smoking. The trans tail shaft seal was leaking and puking oil all over the underside of the truck including the exhaust and the last thing I needed was a fire. U-haul ended up towing it the rest of the way (1.5hrs) to the house.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Long story short. Left Friday morning at 4am and got a whole 30 miles before one rim exploded and the second tire on that side blew. A 3 ton jack wouldn’t even think about lifting it so we limped it to a parking lot 1/8th mile away and loaded everything into a U-haul. Got to Waynesboro MS. Where we had to pull over because the truck was making a terrible noise and smoking. The trans tail shaft seal was leaking and puking oil all over the underside of the truck including the exhaust and the last thing I needed was a fire. U-haul ended up towing it the rest of the way (1.5hrs) to the house.
I’m going to assume that everyone arrived safe with only minor mental discomfort… which is great!

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
How's the grass on the greener side of the fence?

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So far I’m loving it. Started work yesterday and it’ll take time to see how it works out. Weather has been perfect as far as I’m concerned. I’ll let you know in a year if the grass is greener.

Sherwood

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Wife and I are in Louisville. I've been here since the 80's. She's been here since the early '00's. We've been hesitant to leave a few times based on proximity to family. She's mostly lost that, and I'm getting close.

We've been discussing the idea of moving south more and more lately. No idea where that is, but lots of friends have suggested FL because of how much we like the water, sun, and boating.

Biggest hurdle now is reinventing our careers again. We're both in exceptionally good places professionally, and would have to leave that to move.
I did two tours in Iraq with the Louisville M.P. unit.
Needless to say I got some great friends in that area .

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
So far I’m loving it. Started work yesterday and it’ll take time to see how it works out. Weather has been perfect as far as I’m concerned. I’ll let you know in a year if the grass is greener.
Grass is greener in the south, just add water, a lot of water… 🤣

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Update?

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, so far so good. I’m still very busy both at work and home so no time to even think about boating. At home I’ve been painting, wiring outlets in, moving privacy fence back 12’ to property line, tearing down an old pool getting ready for a new one, trimming trees, cleaning yard up that hasn’t been done in quite a while, and a lot more that I’m forgetting. At work they already have me on my own taking care of wastewater pump stations with another new hire along with helping on repair of sewers and installation of new sewers and pump stations. The weather has been great and we are loving it here.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Well, so far so good. I’m still very busy both at work and home so no time to even think about boating. At home I’ve been painting, wiring outlets in, moving privacy fence back 12’ to property line, tearing down an old pool getting ready for a new one, trimming trees, cleaning yard up that hasn’t been done in quite a while, and a lot more that I’m forgetting. At work they already have me on my own taking care of wastewater pump stations with another new hire along with helping on repair of sewers and installation of new sewers and pump stations. The weather has been great and we are loving it here.
That’s a great report !!! Hopefully you’ll be all caught up at home before boating season proper begins!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just saw this on yahoo news, the top five states people are leaving. Happy to see CA is not one of them but now I’m wondering if this is correct since other news reports I’ve seen make it appear like CA should be in the top three if not number one. Maybe CA is number six.

Around here there still seems to be a housing shortage, there are never many homes in the market at any given time.

summarily per the above article and in order of appearance:
New Jersey
Illinois
New York
Michigan
Wyoming

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just saw this on yahoo news, the top five states people are leaving. Happy to see CA is not one of them but now I’m wondering if this is correct since other news reports I’ve seen make it appear like CA should be in the top three if not number one. Maybe CA is number six.

Around here there still seems to be a housing shortage, there are never many homes in the market at any given time.

New Jersey
Illinois
New York
Michigan
Wyoming
Thanks for the post @Ronnie!

What’s missing of course is where these folks moved to. It’s fine to say they wanted to move to be closer to family, but where is the family, and even more telling would be where the family is and how long the family had been there, were those family members the true pioneers / scouts who took the risk for a better life and found it? And now that success is relatively assured these recent interviewees are now moving ? The absolute hardest part of moving to another state is making the commitment to do so, sure there is the logistical work, but nothing like mental karate matches that preceded the decision.

Retirement, also lacking is where were these retirees were moving to and why? Sure there are a number of retirees that move for better weather on their aging bones, but I’d be willing to bet it’s to make their retirement funds go farther in states with drastically lower cost of living and a higher quality of life. Weather wise for me it was to not have any more long hot summers and a desire for four seasons, and to stop getting financially raped by a state government that was taking my money and spending it on things that did not support a high quality of life. In fact, the quality of life in my home state of CA had been declining for decades. Its quite sad actually, CA has such beautiful topography, in the 80’s you could go surfing in the morning and snow skiing in the afternoon, high paying blue collar jobs were abundant etc etc..

Work… CA over the last two years has seen, I think it’s 70 substantial companies (as well as hundreds more small companies) leave the golden state for states like Texas, Tennessee and Florida, so one has to wonder how many of those folks who said they are leaving for jobs / work are following their companies as I’m sure the high tax states mentioned in the article are also hemorrhaging businesses.

Wyoming…There’s an old joke about Wyoming, how do you make a millionaire in Wyoming? Start with a billionaire! The most attractive part of Wyoming to most folks is the south west corner, think Yellowstone / Jackson Hole, but there are also the BigHorn Mountains further east. (Also Keyhole Reservoir and Glendo Reservoir) The reasons listed were that folks moved there during the pandemic, but why? Answer? to escape draconian lockdowns etc imposed by the states they left. So now that the lockdowns have been lifted, and those folks have realized that along with those freedoms comes some harsh winters to go along with the summer beauty, they are ready to go back…that makes no sense to me, but hey, to each their own. I’m pretty sure that happened here in SD as well, I saw a lot of license plates from far flung states with those draconian lock downs here in the summer of 2020, and then the inventory of houses started shrinking as those folks decided they wanted to move here. Now after a decent winter I’m seeing more houses come on the market and prices are starting to fall. My property value that I bought in 2020 went from an assessed value of $339K to $565K this year, I’d love to do a refi and put up a large pole barn, but I’m not giving up my 3% mortgage for a 7% mortgage to do so. I was hoping for a harsher winter, but, if the farmers almanac forecast is correct, the warm months of summer will be longer in coming this year, it will be a cool wet spring, a wet and hot summer and a cool wet fall. Not the kind of weather a lot of folks encountered when they visited in 20 and 21. So perhaps the house inventory will be increasing this year as the tenderfoots leave for “nicer” weather. As a footnote note, those newcomers are easy to spot by the way they drive, they stick out like a sore thumb with their impatient driving style, speeding, and cutting people off only to have to stop at the signal with everyone else.

The other thing not mentioned, as it was probably not part of the survey questions are the social aspects of their home states. There’s a lot of people leaving places that are tired of the high and increasing rates of crime, policies that are discriminatory and preferential towards the few at the expense of the many for political reasons, and politics overall. Hard working taxpayers are tired of state governments not working for them and their best interests. I think a lot of people are tired of their home states‘ governments denigrating and vilifying them, yet these same people are expected to keep producing for the “needs” of others at their expense. Who is John Galt?

Last edited:

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

New Jersey
Illinois
New York
Michigan
Wyoming
I commented for years about how I want to leave New York. Right now I am slowly cutting my last ties with New York. I can explain some of the problems there: after WW2 there was a massive growth of suburbs and the way these suburbs were designed is horrible. Everything is designed around needing a car and public transportation is shit (A LOT OF TRAFFIC). They've destroyed the beauty of the island with too many big box stores and shopping malls. Virtually 0 places for entertainment. They're some good things about Long Island, but who wants to pay $600,000 for that "privilege" to live in a 60+ year old home and $14,000+ annual property taxes? And it seems like everyone is miserable because of the property taxes. People are cliquey, judgemental, and cold. Everyone drives jeep wranglers and BMW's, and drive insane like they're stressed to the max and ready to kill you and themselves while driving to work. There's a comedian from Long Island who perfectly explains the what and why of Long Island people, but I can't remember his name right now. I could go on forever about the bad things about Long Island. I'm not aware of ANYONE who moved to Long Island who didn't grow up here.

I'm visiting Long Island during the Summer. Idk what I'm going to do. I'm seriously considering selling my possessions in NY, stay here in Colombia, bring my mountain bike here, buy a BMW M235i here, and I can visit my dad in Florida sometimes. He has a boat and house there. About 3 hours direct flights and they aren't too expensive. Parking at the airport is stupid cheap, like $1 per day.

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I commented for years about how I want to leave New York. Right now I am slowly cutting my last ties with New York. I can explain some of the problems there: after WW2 there was a massive growth of suburbs and the way these suburbs were designed is horrible. Everything is designed around needing a car and public transportation is shit (A LOT OF TRAFFIC). They've destroyed the beauty of the island with too many big box stores and shopping malls. Virtually 0 places for entertainment. They're some good things about Long Island, but who wants to pay $600,000 for that "privilege" to live in a 60+ year old home and $14,000+ annual property taxes? And it seems like everyone is miserable because of the property taxes. People are cliquey, judgemental, and cold. Everyone drives jeep wranglers and BMW's, and drive insane like they're stressed to the max and ready to kill you and themselves while driving to work. There's a comedian from Long Island who perfectly explains the what and why of Long Island people, but I can't remember his name right now. I could go on forever about the bad things about Long Island. I'm not aware of ANYONE who moved to Long Island who didn't grow up here.

I'm visiting Long Island during the Summer. Idk what I'm going to do. I'm seriously considering selling my possessions in NY, stay here in Colombia, bring my mountain bike here, buy a BMW M235i here, and I can visit my dad in Florida sometimes. He has a boat and house there. About 3 hours direct flights and they aren't too expensive. Parking at the airport is stupid cheap, like $1 per day.
Do you still own / pay property taxes in LI? But live in Columbia? As in the country Columbia?

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Do you still own / pay property taxes in LI? But live in Columbia? As in the country Columbia?
Yeah the country. I've been moving around for a while. I've fortunately avoided those stupid property taxes for some time because I've been renting a room in a house shared with my brother and another friend. It includes boat storage too. I refuse to pay $1600+ a month for some shit basement apartment in someone's hous and the housing market is still trash to buy something.

I have acquaintances that bought houses here. One of which posted a video that compares Long Island to other countries in the world "(pic of castle) This isn't Croatia.. This is Long Island.. (pic of beach) This isn't Brazil.. This is Long Island.." and so on.. I nearly died on that one..Like no way this video just compared Brazilian beaches with Long Island lol It's like people that never left Long Island are doing mental gymnastics to justify why they're paying $3500 a month mortgage there lmao

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Had a good friend in college (second trip trough) that moved to the philippines his 1st semester of Junior year. Really similar rhetoric to what @I_squared_r mentioned. The cost of living as compared to quality of life was MUCH higher over there than here in KY. He was teaching mathematics and english to high school kids. Making like $45k/yr or so, and spending like $5k/yr on housing and necessities. He had a financial plan mapped out to retire at 40 (he was 24 at the time) and basically never work again.

I really do envy that guys (and @I_squared_r )ability to just uproot and go. It's a huge leap of faith on mostly unknowns. Super happy to hear when it works out for most, and I've honestly only heard a few that said it wasn't worth it.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Had a good friend in college (second trip trough) that moved to the philippines his 1st semester of Junior year. Really similar rhetoric to what @I_squared_r mentioned. The cost of living as compared to quality of life was MUCH higher over there than here in KY. He was teaching mathematics and english to high school kids. Making like $45k/yr or so, and spending like $5k/yr on housing and necessities. He had a financial plan mapped out to retire at 40 (he was 24 at the time) and basically never work again.

I really do envy that guys (and @I_squared_r )ability to just uproot and go. It's a huge leap of faith on mostly unknowns. Super happy to hear when it works out for most, and I've honestly only heard a few that said it wasn't worth it.
It's definitely not for everyone. Going to another country alone is the definition of "leaving your comfort zone". Things like ordering food, going to the pharmacy, calling a taxi, etc. all simple things become foreign again. I've went into the wrong bathroom because the bathroom was labeled "M". I'm so accustomed that M is for Men and I completely forgot that M is for mujeres in Spanish lmao. I always was confused in Brazil when doors are labeled "Puxar" which sounds like "pushar", but puxar doesn't mean "push", it means "pull". It's all these little things that constantly remind you that you're not home. The most difficult thing is when I arrived here, I had difficulty to communicate with most people. I'm almost 3 months here and it's improved a lot. I adopted the strategy of my Brazilian friend, she told me that she learned English by going on a lot of Tinder dates lol so I did the same thing. Lunch for 2 is like $30, I get to leave the house, try different food, and spend a few hours practicing Spanish. Also making friends in another language can be difficult and not everyone can adapt.