• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone ever boat out to Okracoke Island, NC ?

bubbasuwannee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
This is one of the islands on the outer banks that you can only get to by air or boat. Wife and I are trying to plan a short weekend trip there by taking our 21' FSH 195 across the Pamlico sound and staying 1-2 nights to explore. If anyone has done something similar and has recommendations like where to launch, where to dock/stay etc... I'd love to hear about it.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Smiley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
We have been to Okracoke several times, but always driven. Have seen folks with the boat on the trailer, on the ferry from Cedar Island. I would like to take the boat out there as the Palmico Sound has produced good fishing for me in the past. The Atlantic has always been way more than I want to attempt in my little 19 footer off the coast of OBX. I have surfed in Frisco, Hatteras, and off Okracoke, waves can get pretty big there.

DRock3d

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Okracoke is a cool place but it's definitely one you can see and do everything in a day. Where would you leave from?

bubbasuwannee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Okracoke is a cool place but it's definitely one you can see and do everything in a day. Where would you leave from?
I'm looking to put the boat in at one of the ramps on the other side of the Pamlico sound. Haven't decided just where yet.

bubbasuwannee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
We have been to Okracoke several times, but always driven. Have seen folks with the boat on the trailer, on the ferry from Cedar Island. I would like to take the boat out there as the Palmico Sound has produced good fishing for me in the past. The Atlantic has always been way more than I want to attempt in my little 19 footer off the coast of OBX. I have surfed in Frisco, Hatteras, and off Okracoke, waves can get pretty big there.
That's good to hear the fishing is good there as I hope to do a little. From reading, the sound can get pretty rough too, so weather will definitely be a factor.

bubbasuwannee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Wife booked our stay for the end of May. Hotel has a marina, but I have to call and see if I can reserve a slip/dock. Still trying to decide where the best spot to leave to cross the Pamlico sound. I'm somewhat concerned about leaving my truck/trailer unattended for a couple of days.

CarolinaJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wife booked our stay for the end of May. Hotel has a marina, but I have to call and see if I can reserve a slip/dock. Still trying to decide where the best spot to leave to cross the Pamlico sound. I'm somewhat concerned about leaving my truck/trailer unattended for a couple of days.
So this is a complete left field suggestion, but there are two ymca camps along the Neuse, just down the road from Arapahoe. One of them has a boat ramp (camp seafarer). It would be a very secure place to leave a truck and is within about 50 miles of ocracoke. I don’t know if they do this at all, probably not, but might be worth a call to find out.

bubbasuwannee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So this is a complete left field suggestion, but there are two ymca camps along the Neuse, just down the road from Arapahoe. One of them has a boat ramp (camp seafarer). It would be a very secure place to leave a truck and is within about 50 miles of ocracoke. I don’t know if they do this at all, probably not, but might be worth a call to find out.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll check that out.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That's good to hear the fishing is good there as I hope to do a little. From reading, the sound can get pretty rough too, so weather will definitely be a factor.
Grew up boating on the coast of NC. The Pamlico sound can get SUPER gnarly. Many people have lost their life in that sound due to the waves. Have to keep a close eye on wind/storm/currents/tides.

bubbasuwannee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Grew up boating on the coast of NC. The Pamlico sound can get SUPER gnarly. Many people have lost their life in that sound due to the waves. Have to keep a close eye on wind/storm/currents/tides.
I've heard that as well. We have planned for going/leaving a day early/later if needed due to conditions.

bubbasuwannee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Looking at a good place to launch the boat...looks like Cedar Island or Swan Quarter would work. Basically close to where the Ferry stations are, there are public boat ramps. Cedar Island looks the best...shortest distance across the sound to Ocracoke, closer to land...maybe calmer seas than out in the middle as well.

JROD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
I done trip on jet ski from Oak Island, NC to Northfolk, VA across Pamlico sound and Ocracoke. Cedar Point is probably best place to launch from and where Ferry terminal is. Is been some years back, but that big sound is no joke on a windy day. I wouldn't recommend crossing on a jet boat on anything less than almost perfect conditions. 3 foot chop and 15-18knots winds standing up whole way with waves and salt spray constantly hitting on your face is definitely challenging, but perhaps not for everyone. 😆Also, recommend confirmed reservations for hotel and marina slip.

bubbasuwannee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Getting close to our trip. Definitely leaving from Cedar island. Made hotel reservations for the night prior to give us a super early start. Hotel and slip reservations made. Plan on following the ferry route over.

Ballshrinker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Please remember to tell us how it goes. My folks used to have a place across the sound from Ocracoke...I always have the old man a fit for not taking us to the lighthouse

bubbasuwannee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Please remember to tell us how it goes. My folks used to have a place across the sound from Ocracoke...I always have the old man a fit for not taking us to the lighthouse
Definitely will do. Hoping and praying for calm waters going over and back.