• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone regret black gel coat due to maintenance?

Milligsc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hi folks, first post here. I currently have a 2007 AR230 which has been a great boat. Looking at a 2016 Ar242 limited S that is black in the mid portion of the boat. Just wondering if anyone regrets the black paint because it looks dirty all the time? My blue AR looks pretty good even when its dirty.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Not at all!
Boat 1.jpg

Milligsc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks Jameson, Ive had some black cars that were a pain to keep looking nice. Is it easier for a boat? Do you wax it often?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Our previous black boat got waxed twice a season, and it kept grime from sticking to it. Water spots were constant. So I always have a big soft brush in one of the cabinets. It was my routine to walk around the boat with my beer at the sandbar as soon as I got us anchored.

jgourlie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Water spots are an issue for sure...but I am loving my black boat!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hi folks, first post here. I currently have a 2007 AR230 which has been a great boat. Looking at a 2016 Ar242 limited S that is black in the mid portion of the boat. Just wondering if anyone regrets the black paint because it looks dirty all the time? My blue AR looks pretty good even when its dirty.
Yeah....the black LOOKS cool but isn't a practical color. Most boats are white for a reason! (because we can't all afford deck hands washing the boat all the time)

1593106592098.png

Although deck hands like this might be worth the investment!
1593106724994.png

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
We live on river that causes tanic water stains on white hulls. I just sold my black 392 Charger. I went with a white top, blue bottom boat for all the good reasons. That said, if you can take care of it, black looks AWESOME.

JTrottaNY

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
A little extra work, but oh so sexy when they are cleaned up! Mine gets trailered every trip, 5-10 extra minutes at the launch to run a towel over the black hull and it takes care of most of the water spots.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A little extra work, but oh so sexy when they are cleaned up! Mine gets trailered every trip, 5-10 extra minutes at the launch to run a towel over the black hull and it takes care of most of the water spots.
I have just a short amount of black on mine, and have started wiping down after each retrieval and that gets most of the spots to stay away. I do get some just from splashes and floating on the water in the sun.

I've found that a window cleaner that is a vinegar base will pull the spots right off. Then just spray a quick "top wax" on top of it and it stays shiny longer and resists the spots better.

Hoping to coat the boat in Rejex at some point this year and see if that helps.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
No issues with our black hull except water spots.. We just do a quick wipe down with Hot Sauce after loading or getting home.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I always see how hard people work to keep the black and blue hulls looking nice. Helps me appreciate my white hull and how little maintenance it takes.

Update:
@biffdotorg
Yes the hull will Yellow at times and it can look nasty. Last night I sprayed S100 Total Cycle Cleaner. Spray, Brush, and water. Hull is bright white again. I know I still need to buff and wax and rejex it. But I amazed how easy it whitened up.

Also with the white hull when you buff and wax it all the white scratches on the white hull are almost invisible

Last time I whitened it I used the Gel Hull Cleaner. This time the S100 was much easier, and also less harsh.
And in 10 years and 280 hours this is only the 2nd time I have had to whiten the hull. We trailer the boat, stored outside summer, indoors winter.

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the 2020 Yacht Blue color. In retrospect I wonder if on the next boat I should go with a mainly white hull.

canefan75

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have the 2020 242 in Black and paid to have it ceramic coated. Im in the salt and so far nothing sticks to it. Its lift kept so all i do is spray it down and dry it. Looks new every time!

WestMIJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
A quick wipe down with Hot Sauce and it looks as good as new.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I always see how hard people work to keep the black and blue hulls looking nice. Helps me appreciate my white hull and how little maintenance it takes.
What you will find with white is it will yellow over time as well. So an acid wash below water line, and buffing it above the water line is still recommended annually depending on water stain. You will be amazed at how yellow your white is after you do a small section. It will be so bad, you will wish you had left enough time to do the whole boat immediately.

Cleveland Steamer

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't regret getting a black but but it is more work to keep it clean.

After just about every outing I wash the boat. I like putting away the boat clean so when I get it out it's clean. I love how glossy it looks during towing. I like my boat to shine on and off the water.

I usually wax the boat once a year so water spots aren't a big problem but once the wax begins to wear off I start to get some water spots. I hit those areas with a water spot remover and the boat shines like the day it came from the factory.

I found that having the right tools makes any job MUCH, MUCH easier. I have a buffer/polisher that I use to apply and remove the wax each year. I rather enjoy waxing the boat and drinking beers.

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I enjoy the black hull, or as my neighbors call it, "The Big Black Boat". A little preseason rejex and some hot sauce in season keeps the maintenance to a minimum. It's definitely a labor of love!

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks Jameson, Ive had some black cars that were a pain to keep looking nice. Is it easier for a boat? Do you wax it often?
I wax once every year in the spring before it goes out for the first time. I also wipe down the boat every time it is pulled out of the water. But, that isn't because it is black. I have done that with every single boat I have owned. My parents were having us do that back when I was 6 or 7. Lately I have been wiping down with Hot sauce which does seem to help even more than just wiping it down.

I'd buy black again tomorrow!

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Love the black colour and don't regret the sharp look of it. Yes it takes a few minutes in the parking lot to wipe her down with a microfiber cloth to get the spots off, but it's well worth it. I wouldn't care so much for a dark bottom hull though as crawling around to keep it clean would be annoying. Wiping the sides and upper section is easy and quick though. :D