• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Apparently I'm a Flopper

Jebinok

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The wife informed me i was flopping in bed last night when i would roll over. Whew, i thought she was heading another direction with this. Our mattress is about 8 years old and is transferring a lot of motion the the other side of the bed. So I was thinking of going to another style of mattress, we have the coils now and was wondering what the majority sleeps on. I think i like the idea of the memory foam but i do not have any experiance with foam or air such as the sleep number, Ok folks here it is Pros cons and what you perfer and why Thanks in advance Jeb

MIDLIFECRISIS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Love my sleep #. Also with two remotes someone gets pranked every now and then.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We have a memory foam matress and I'm not all that happy with it. The last one was nice, but get indented within 3 years, so we bought a new one, and I'm just not convinced they are worth the money. I too am wondering about a sleep # bed as so many rave about them.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Memory foam is hot, at least in South Florida it's not a good idea. I like a firm pillow top traditional mattress and Sheex sheets. I have slept on a Sleep Number mattress a few nights and liked it enough to try one next time we need a mattress.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
My wife and I's first mattress we purchased was a Sleep Number. I liked it at first but I think that was just due to the novelty of it. I will say we purchased on the lower end of the Sleep Number product line. It just seemed like a glorified air mattress. That being said, I have slept on the nicer Sleep #'s at many hotels and have liked them alot. I guess all I am saying is if you go Sleep Number, look more to the higher end ones.

Maybe I'm just picky but I can't stand our current sealy either. It was sunk in on both sides within a year (king). I have also thought about the memory foam so I am interested in what others have to say also.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
image.jpg

Attachments

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Our mattress is about 8 years old and it moves a lot as well. It was a top of the line pillow top at the time.

In my camper I put a 3 or 4 inch memory foam on the cheapo mattress and I'd rather sleep on it than the one in my house.

Helipilot11

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
My wife and I got a tempurpedic about two years ago and it is amazing. It take a could of days to get used to but well worth it. I wake up each morning feeling like I had a massage all night. Zero pressure points and comes with a 20 year warranty. The sticker price might be a shock at first but worth it for a 20 year warranty. While memory foam might be hot, I have never woken up from being too hot because of tempurpedic foam.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've heard the foam us hot as well. We bought a Sealy that has the exact same specs as the Westin Heavenly Bed. I love it.

brockhals

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have a sleep number, M7 I think. It has memory foam on top of the air mattresses so it's best of both worlds! Also have some kind of cover that allows it to breathe so it doesn't get hot.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I want a sleep number i8 but damn, 4K for a bed....I also looked at adding the adjustable base since we both have issues it would help with....it's 7K GEEZE, I'd rather have a supercharger on my Tundra and not sleep! It's about the same price.

Last edited:

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We had a top dollar Stearns at first. It lasted 8 years but had the body indents after a few years and probably should have been replaced after 5 years.

We bought a knockoff memory foam with a shredded memory foam topper about 3" thick with a fabric that allows it to breathe and not get hot. We love it! The best sleep we have ever had. Cannot comment on the longevity since we have only had a year now but it is in perfect condition. I am pretty sure it was just over $1k, so very reasonable for a memory foam. If it lasts 5 years I would be very happy but have no doubts it will last longer. Buying top dollar and a well known brand and not having it live up to my expectations really turned me off in buying another high end. And I wanted to give memory foam thing a try.

I firmly believe this one is all about the shredded foam topper as it acts like a pillowtop but never loses its form. Guaranteed for 10 years. We added the Bamboo shredded foam pillows and love those as well. Much the same foam in those as what is in the topper.

I would have to find the tag for the brand name as I dont remember but it was something about an island I believe.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We chose Tempurpedic after looking at the sleep number and others (i.e. Heavenly, Other hotel options). I read some things about problems with the sleep numbers leaking but with the right warranty it doesn't need to be an issue.

The tempurpedic is "strange" since you don't feel any movement from your wife/fill-in-the blank when you move around or get up out of bed for those middle age visits to the bathroom. I have been through some humid, hot summers in Philadelphia though so I have to think that Florida wouldn't be any worse. I like the tempurpedic so far and it has been about 2 years. We bought a very firm version since I had trouble rolling over in some of the softer, yet more $$$ version.

This is a great question. Good luck

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We had a top dollar Stearns at first. It lasted 8 years but had the body indents is a fter a few years and probably should have been replaced after 5 years.

We bought a knockoff memory foam with a shredded memory foam topper about 3" thick with a fabric that allows it to breathe and not get hot. We love it! The best sleep we have ever had. Cannot comment on the longevity since we have only had a year now but it is in perfect condition. I am pretty sure it was just over $1k, so very reasonable for a memory foam. If it lasts 5 years I would be very happy but have no doubts it will last longer. Buying top dollar and a well known brand and not having it live up to my expectations really turned me off in buying another high end. And I wanted to give memory foam thing a try.

I firmly believe this one is all about the shredded foam topper as it acts like a pillowtop but never loses its form. Guaranteed for 10 years. We added the Bamboo shredded foam pillows and love those as well. Much the same foam in those as what is in the topper.

I would have to find the tag for the brand name as I dont remember but it was something about an island I believe.
Ditto on what 4x15mph said on the lack of movement. You dont feel a thing when the other moves around so for a flopper, that is a great option.

I forgot to mention earlier that I had back surgery a few years ago and started feeling my back again prior to getting the new mattress. Once we got it my back has fealt great.

The brand we got is Paradise by Solstice

Good luck with your decision!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We had a memory foam bed for a few years and it was great at first but once it the memory got too good (I.e. Our body indentations became permanent) it was junk to us. We switched to a mid level sleep number a few years ago and still love it.

Like adjustable seat pedestals for our boats, once I found my sleep number I rarely change it. If either of us moves at night the other doesn't feel it because we each have our own air mattress. They are separated by a thin foam barrier.
There is also no box spring but they do offer a modular plastic stand for around $300.

Also, they don't carry any inventory in their stores so you have to order it there and the best you can do, or at least that I could do, was take delivery the following day. They take longer to deliver it if you pay to have them set it up, i think the fee is around $200 but I don't know for sure since I didn't pay it. Set up was a breeze.

The lower end models don't have pillow tops, the pumps are loud and the remote displays the sleep number in increments of 5. Whereas the higher end models have pillow tops of varying thickness, quiet pumps and display the sleep number increments of 1 and/or display a series of hash marks around the bezel.

I think mine has a limited lifetime warranty which is in part contingent on us using the mattress cover that came with it or which we bought as an option (can't remember now). We have not had any problems with leaks but somehow one of the air hoses got pinched once which prevented the side the hose was on from inflating. It was an easy fix, just removed the whatever was sitting on top of the hose.

I know someone with the adjustable base and am confirming what it costs, she says it is worth every penny but I just can't justify spending that much to make my bed more like a hospital bed. A good bed no matter what kind of mattress it has will likely cost several thousand dollars but if you spend 1/4th of each day (6 hours at night actually) in bed the cost is easy to justify, for me anyway. It definitely helped that my wife likes the bed as much as I do. Too bad sleep number doesn't offer a trial period like sleep train does (100 days according to try local,radio station).

Good luck and have fun shopping. Speaking if which, Our sleep number store is in mall. I remember laying down on each model, fully clothed, midday with my wife In various positions (on my left, right back, belly), spooning, in the center of the bed, on each side, etc. I was self conscious at first, until I realized there was a small line of people/couples waiting behind us to do the same thing. It's a big (four digit) purchase after all.

Last edited:

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The misses and I bought a Select Comfort a few years ago, LOVE IT!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have had our tempurpedic for about 8 years. The first 2-4 years were great, then we also started to experience the body indents. It's now at the point I'm thinking we need to get something else. I was expecting more for the premium price we paid. I would not buy another one.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We had the high end pillow top mattress and it finally gave out. About a month ago, just bought the sleep number with the memory foam topper and adjustable bases. Crap what a bunch of money... Wife has back issues, etc so it has worked out so far and she is happy (and so am I). I do not find the foam topper to be hot either so far.

I will rate this bed as a medium firm to firm, even at the "low sleep numbers". It is not as soft as the soft pillow tops. It is very comfortable though.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA