• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ar240 engine stall

Chadburgess2003

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have a 2014 ar240ho both engines starts and runs great but all of a sudden the right side engine started stalking when you hit the 6500 rpm range no cough or hesitation just like you turned the key off you can crank it right back up and will run fine till you go over the 6500 range and then it will stall again. Any ideas.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have you checked the clean out hatch kill switches?

Chadburgess2003

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I haven't actually took a meter to them and checked them but I have visually looked at them to verify they was being pressed I did read to put a nickel on there to press them down a lil farther. I will do that next time out. I'm about 35 min from river and there's no service there for Google so trying to get all the what to
Check before hand.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Check to make sure your battery connections are tight. Loose connections can cause rough running. Like rocks in a paint shaker.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to have you on board,
How long has this been going on for, 1 occurrence, 1 day, multiple times over multiple trips ?

just trying to get a little more detail to put it in context to help trouble shoot it,

I agree if it's not sputtering and just shutting off like you turned the key, my first place would be all my electrical connections especially the ground at the battery,

wild guesses, maybe try running with the engine hatch open to make sure it's not getting starved for air, also maybe when you get to the higher rpm's your sucking more fuel and the pump is shutting itself down.

Chadburgess2003

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's ran fine all the way till last week. Then all of a sudden it started shutting down. I did look at the clean out plug for the engine that was shutting down and it was open like it blew out. Thought that might of been the issue so
I put it back in and locked it back down. Took the impeller out to look at wear ring to make sure it was okay being that the plug was out thought maybe I might of sucked something up but it was fine no grooves or nothing. I put new plugs in it as well. Same thing... If I keep it below 6500 rpm it runs great anything more you might as well say I turned the key off on it. Can keep it still up on plane with other engine and just restart the engine other and it will start right back up throttles up fine no hesitation long as I stay below 6500 it will run all day.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I agree with @Scottintexas try running with the hatch open and/or the blowers on. You might have an exhaust leak that is starving the engine for air at high RPMs. Opening the hatch gives it plenty of air to breath. Is there a strong smell of exhaust when you open the engine hatch when this happens?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
does it happen at 6500 rpm or how many 100's rpm give or take below or above?

Can you EVER nurse it over the 6500 range?

If it was a cleanout hatch switch or bad ground on smooth water I would think you could nurse them over that amount until you started bouncing and then a disconnect could take place.

Chadburgess2003

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've nursed and nursed it will not go over 6500 I'd say it's closer to 6800 I just try to keep it at 6500 to keep it running the other motor full throttle is at 73 7400ish

Chadburgess2003

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thought about swapping computer with other engine to see if that helps n e but was afraid to didn't know what I'd be getting into

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Have you pulled the air filter off the engine that is stalling?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It has got to be ECU...
This is fascinating!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You've got no flashing engine lights on the dash, correct?

that's kind of what I'm wondering, if you were in rough water or bouncing I could understand but the fact at the same rpms it quits makes me think it's not a cutoff switch or ground wire,

That's why I thought about the air intake or fuel or maybe even the computer, maybe something funky with that engine only like a piece of trash on the fuel filter that when you get to that rpm the suction increases and cause it to be blocked, or even worse the ecu

Can you run your boat on the trailer ?

I would check the wiring first because it's easy but then proceed with engine hatch and fuel sender/filter inspection,

Where are you located? maybe somebody around you has a YDS they can scan your engines with,

Chadburgess2003

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've ran it on flush on trailer and it will not stall just under a load. Closest place to me is 2 hours away and they want 140 a hour one hour per hookup on each engine and said they couldn't get to me for another 2 weeks... At a lost of what to do... Taking it to the water in the am to tinker with it some more thanks everyone for helping me out

Chadburgess2003

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh and to answer ur question I do not any any check engine lights on at all nor any buzzers Goin off. I haven't pulled the air filter yet but I will in the morning. Thanks again

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've ran it on flush on trailer and it will not stall just under a load. Closest place to me is 2 hours away and they want 140 a hour one hour per hookup on each engine and said they couldn't get to me for another 2 weeks... At a lost of what to do... Taking it to the water in the am to tinker with it some more thanks everyone for helping me out
That does NOT sound like ECU than. More like something with fuel lines?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
update your location and maybe there is a member with a YDS close by that could help you, you could also order off of ebay for maybe $100., also a jet ski shop should be able to read them (although they might not realize it).

switching the fuel lines at senders should be a pretty easy trouble shooting point,