• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR240 Oil Change - Anyone do their own?

HawkTX

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I took my AR240 to the dealer for my 10 hour last year, but towards the end of the season I will probably do my own this time. There was a detailed video on youtube for the spark plug change, but nothing on the oil change. Does anyone have a link to a thread or youtube video on items needed, parts and process/order of doing it, etc.? I've always done my own oil changes on my other toys (motorcycles/atvs), but this will be a first for me on the jet boat. Thanks!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@HawkTX -

It's a VERY EASY job. Especially if you are already mechanically inclined. The longest part is waiting for the oil to drain.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@HawkTX , if you want to drag the boat over to just the north side of Ray Roberts when you are ready to do it, I will supervise and walk you through it! I have plenty of concrete, tools, and pump...if you don't have a pump yet. That way, you can see this one and if you like it, can get the same one at West Marine. I did this for @BravoMike and I bet he could share the same with you today as an expert at changing the oil and plugs! I have had both, the MR-1 and now the 1.8L As @Bennie said, it is a very easy job. Having containers and pads ready is the real issue...what to do with the oil! I could get both engines in the pump for the 230, but the 240 has just enough more that I have to empty between the engines. But it is all easy, just the logistics of planning to deal with. PM me if you want to take me up on it, we will find a day.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
and make sure to get a filter wrench!! I swear they torqued that damn thing down at the factory. @txav8r told you a true secret - have the puppy pads lining the bottom. They save you a headache and truly assist with any clean-up you may have.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
No need for the 16 faceted socket wrench. I just use a strap wrench with a sand paper liner...works 10x better than the socket ever did...and I had one! Sand paper folded with the grit against the strap and against the filter will remove the filter so easily, you won't believe it.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Im not mechanically inclined whatsoever and the oil change was EASY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HawkTX

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for all the info everyone. Mel, I'm hoping to do it right there in my slip at the marina so I don't have to pull it out, but I really do appreciate the offer. I'm still good until September or so and if anything changes I'll PM you.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
It is easy, just prep work. Make sure your filter strap wi fit it and take sand paper in case...even if you have the socket head for the filter. Let me know when your doing it and if I'm on the ground, you can call if you have any issues.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
From experience (and listening to everyone else) check ALL of your screws/nuts/bolts while you're doing your service. A lot of guys discussing how loose the majority of the connections were. Perfect thing to do while waiting on the oil.

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That shows 10w/30 .. i thought they used 10w-40?

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@john94si - Just my personal opinion and experience (working before with car dealerships and their warranty claims), I recommend buying your oil change kits from your local Yamaha dealer. They sell a "Yama-lube" kit (the oil filter looks different than what is on there but is the newest number - per Yamaha).

The reason for this is for your warranty. It always looks good to have not only your record of Yamaha parts but also to have your local dealership to be able to pull up your name and see the required parts for the required services. Law allows us to perform our own preventive maintenance, however it always looks better to be using the recommended parts.

Just my take from my experience with over a decade of dealing with warranties and watching companies looking for loopholes to not pay and seeing customers having that extra "piece of evidence" to help push the claim their way.

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes i buy my filters at the dealer but i prefer mobil1. Ive read some use 10w30 vs 10w/40 which is the standard?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Making a change to synthetic vs Yamalube is a greater departure from "standard" than is the difference between using 10w30 or 10w40. Most don't boat in frigid conditions, so really, either weight is ok. The discussion between Dino or even a blend vs full synthetic is Lengthy, and plenty of different viewpoints. But like most things, is is a compromise and there is not a single way to do it.