• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Are there sharks in the Great Lakes????

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Here is a safe, neutral, non-political, heresay-loaded video with no expert information or proven scientific data on whether there are sharks in fresh-water including are there sharks in the Great Lakes:

This is meant as a light-hearted follow-up as it seems my last posting caused some people some serious heartburn......

Has any freshwater boater ever seen a shark or shark-like shadow, fin or other while boating??? Plastic toy shark sightings floating in a river or lake can be included.....

Last edited:

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
LOL no, I've never seen a shark in Michigan or Superior. However, I would say that, in the history of the Great Lakes, there probably have been sharks in there.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Supposedly there was a shark found in the Chicago river in the 1800s.....no proof. This article talks about the supposed 1955 shark attack - found no proof either way.

I spent many summers swimming and boating the shores of Lake Michigan.....and no....never saw a shark or worried about one.

Heck....I've been bitten by a shark....and I don't worry about them! (ok....it was a nurse shark I was feeding in Bimini....and yes....I bled quite a bit @Sbrown patched me up only to get bitten himself 3 days later!)

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Supposedly there was a shark found in the Chicago river in the 1800s.....no proof. This article talks about the supposed 1955 shark attack - found no proof either way.

I spent many summers swimming and boating the shores of Lake Michigan.....and no....never saw a shark or worried about one.

Heck....I've been bitten by a shark....and I don't worry about them! (ok....it was a nurse shark I was feeding in Bimini....and yes....I bled quite a bit @Sbrown patched me up only to get bitten himself 3 days later!)
There was a large piranha caught in a lake in michigan a few years ago. The DNR chalked it up to someone’s pet that got too big, but didnt want to kill it so they let it loose......

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I remember years ago, they caught a 7’ bull shark in the Hudson around Albany. And they released it.
For those not familiar with the area, Albany is 2 1/2 hrs upstate from NYC.
So a shark in the Great Lakes - sure - why not.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess its possible, we get bull sharks far up the Neuse river all the time. Plenty of Dolphins go far into the Trent river also

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I guess its possible, we get bull sharks far up the Neuse river all the time. Plenty of Dolphins go far into the Trent river also
Much less likely now that there is:
1) locks between the river and the lake
2) an "electric" fence in place to dissuade the asian carp from swimming upstream....I doubt sharks would like it either....

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
card sharks with cement overcoats they are bottom dwellers

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
This is a nice diversion from reality such as Covid and Elections.

Lived most of my life in and around the Great Lakes. Relax, the sharks in the Great Lakes are not a threat. If they were, I'd catch them with my friends from Amity Island with their screechy chalkboard and fishing boat called the Orca.
And no we don't need a bigger boat.
:D