• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Artemis launch

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Part of the problem is facts are not really facts. Those political fact checkers are garbage (I would assume so are Facebooks). I remember seeing something that it said was not a fact but if you read in the article supporting its decision - it was like 90% true. Because of this, people don't trust anything. Political stuff is one thing since finding the truth is very difficult, and even then there are multiple truths. Scientific fact is another. My favorite is Journey to the Middle of the Earth. People believe that lol.
The other issue with science is there are very few "facts". We have a lot ifnreally well supported theories, but very few facts. Going from theory to fact is a lot harder than people think it is, you have to effectively test every possible way to disprove the theory, and them all fail. Semantics, sure, but semantics are kind of the issue here.

The other issue is money. Money is the lifeblood of science research, and the whole grant process is so insanely corrupt and broken its absurd. There's enough academics out there that you'll find someone to find the results you want for the right grant price.

Everything nowdays is covered with a thick layer of bias. When Trump pulled out of the Paris Accord some people claimed that it was a world ending decision and the Paris Accord was our only hope. But when you actually look at the goals of the Paris Accord, it was to slow the rate of growth of emissions. That's not at all how it was touted orarketed, but the actual goal was to slow the acceleration rate. That meant it still allowed for more emissions, it still allowed for the rate of e.issions to increase, and it's whole goal was to try to make that rate increases rate of increase slow down. So in effect, nothing. But depending on the bias, it was a doomsday sentence to leave the accords.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The latest I read was that they are going to repair and test the quick disconnect on the pad that was leaking. Then roll it back to the VAB to replace the self destruct batteries.
Seems kinda odd to do the leak work on the pad but then also bring it into the VAB. But maybe they need something at the pad to test the new seals.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
What’s a VHS lmao. My kids don’t understand what it means to rewind a tape to watch something…. I’m 36 at the end of this month… what happened to todays youth?

TeenGee

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Seems kinda odd to do the leak work on the pad but then also bring it into the VAB. But maybe they need something at the pad to test the new seals.
The leak only occurs when fueling Liquid Hydrogen (-423F) and can only be tested at the pad.
Range safety batteries can only be replaced in the VAB and have a limited life. No point in replacing the batteries before verifying the leak is fixed.

dbfl

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The latest I read was that they are going to repair and test the quick disconnect on the pad that was leaking. Then roll it back to the VAB to replace the self destruct batteries.
From the post-scrub conf I watched, it also has to go back to the VAB to cryo test the disconnect inside an "environmental enclosure" - can't do that at the pad. I happen to play in a band with several people who work at KSC/CCSFS, and last practice the stress in the air was problematic. Mid-late October is the new window for launch as well as a "locked in" concert date for the band... wonder how that'll play out.

While I've dreamed of working on the "Cape" and even interviewed with SpaceX before moving to FL almost five years ago, that gig can be pretty brutal. I paid my dues in the startup/whatever it takes kind of environment decades ago in silly-con valley... happy and grateful now to be winding down my career in a remote work job with evenings and weekends free.

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
From the post-scrub conf I watched, it also has to go back to the VAB to cryo test the disconnect inside an "environmental enclosure" - can't do that at the pad. I happen to also play in a band with several people who work at KSC/CCSFS, and last practice the stress in the air was problematic. Mid-late October is the new window for launch as well as a "locked in" concert date for the band... wonder how that'll play out.

While I've dreamed of working on the "Cape" and even interviewed with SpaceX before moving to FL almost five years ago, that gig can be pretty brutal. I paid my dues in the startup/whatever it takes kind of environment decades ago in silly-con valley... happy and grateful now to be winding down my career in a remote work job with evenings and weekends free.
The article I read said they were going to construct an enclosure around that portion of the vehicle on the pad to replace the quick disconnect and then cryo test it… doesn’t much matter at this point since it has to go back to the VAB for self destruct battery replacement..

Hopefully the launch goes off without a hitch that won’t interfere with the gig date!

TeenGee

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
From the post-scrub conf I watched, it also has to go back to the VAB to cryo test the disconnect inside an "environmental enclosure" - can't do that at the pad. I happen to play in a band with several people who work at KSC/CCSFS, and last practice the stress in the air was problematic. Mid-late October is the new window for launch as well as a "locked in" concert date for the band... wonder how that'll play out.

While you have friends that work out there, I have SFN (the final word in all things space LOL).
Here is a link to a SFN article from yesterday.
If things go as planned on Arty1, your concert date will be secure.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
From the post-scrub conf I watched, it also has to go back to the VAB to cryo test the disconnect inside an "environmental enclosure" - can't do that at the pad. I happen to also play in a band with several people who work at KSC/CCSFS, and last practice the stress in the air was problematic. Mid-late October is the new window for launch as well as a "locked in" concert date for the band... wonder how that'll play out.

A few of the young guys I work.with talk about going to blue origin or spaceX, supposedly they pay starting e gingers like 120k a year. Downside is they're like 70 hour a week expectations and apparently hyper stressful.

dbfl

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The article I read said they were going to construct an enclosure around that portion of the vehicle on the pad to replace the quick disconnect and then cryo test it… doesn’t much matter at this point since it has to go back to the VAB for self destruct battery replacement..

Hopefully the launch goes off without a hitch that won’t interfere with the gig date!
Thanks - good update, I didn't know they had chosen to do the enclosure and test at the pad after all.

Another story: they don't talk much about the Flight Termination System either. On a tour of CCAFS the bus driver - a retired AF civilian employee in telecomms, took us by a large field where all the explosives are stored for the FTS, underneath regular mounds of dirt I guess leading underground. There are stoplights - in case there's some reason it's not safe to pass by it. I believe there was also robust lightning protection. It seemed relatively close to the VAB, strangely enough (or not). Referring to failed rockets he saw over the years, he liked to say "it blowed up."

TeenGee

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
A few of the young guys I work.with talk about going to blue origin or spaceX, supposedly they pay starting e gingers like 120k a year. Downside is they're like 70 hour a week expectations and apparently hyper stressful.
Yeah, I heard Blue and SX are very hard on newbies with long hours. Upside is high pay if they don't burn out and stick around.

dbfl

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I commonly see young people at the grocery store at odd hours... wearing various SpaceX t-shirts and not looking exactly fresh and energetic. The reputation around here is it's a sweat shop, please forgive the term.

TeenGee

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks - good update, I didn't know they had chosen to do the enclosure and test at the pad after all.

Another story: they don't talk much about the Flight Termination System either. On a tour of CCAFS the bus driver - a retired AF civilian employee in telecomms, took us by a large field where all the explosives are stored for the FTS, underneath regular mounds of dirt I guess leading underground. There are stoplights - in case there's some reason it's not safe to pass by it. I believe there was also robust lightning protection. It seemed relatively close to the VAB, strangely enough (or not). Referring to failed rockets he saw over the years, he liked to say "it blowed up."
Those mounds are the ordnance bunkers. They do not go underground because this is Florida. If you dig a hole you have a swimming pool.
The lights are related to the propellant storage areas nearby. One of the propellants is N2O4 more commonly known as Red Fuming Nitric Acid. If you survive driving a vehicle through a cloud of that, the paint will probably get stripped off.

dbfl

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Those mounds are the ordnance bunkers. They do not go underground because this is Florida. If you dig a hole you have a swimming pool.
The lights are related to the propellant storage areas nearby. One of the propellants is N2O4 more commonly known as Red Fuming Nitric Acid. If you survive driving a vehicle through a cloud of that, the paint will probably get stripped off.
Excellent and thanks for the explanation! Yep and the groundwater is only about 6-8' down in my neighborhood (15' MSL). Also makes gardening a unique experience, where you learn which plants tolerate salt in the water and which don't.

Last edited:

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I commonly see young people at the grocery store at odd hours... wearing various SpaceX t-shirts and not looking exactly fresh and energetic. The reputation around here is it's a sweat shop, please forgive the term.
That's what I get too. A friend interviewed with BO. They told him to expect to work 60 hours a week minimum. He is interested because of the money, I get its, he's like 25, no kids, a gf that's in school, wants to save up to buy a house. For me... not worth it with a young child at home.

I dunno how they keep people. There's no shortage of good defense jobs down here that are 40 hours a week. I guess money talks, but its not like the defense guys are paying that much less.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Excellent and thanks for the explanation! Yep and the groundwater is only about 6-8' down in my neighborhood (15' AGL). Also makes gardening a unique experience, where you learn which plants tolerate salt in the water and which don't.
I grew up in west palm area. Living in Brevard County now, I'm blown away by how deep the water table is here, lol. When I was a kid if you dug a hole you hit muddy water at like, a foot. Of you planeted a tree or shrub, you hit water. Up here, I've planted several things at our house without hitting water, lol.

There's also like, actual dirt here. In Palm Beach County. It was all sand unless you bought dort and put it down, lol.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's what I get too. A friend interviewed with BO. They told him to expect to work 60 hours a week minimum. He is interested because of the money, I get its, he's like 25, no kids, a gf that's in school, wants to save up to buy a house. For me... not worth it with a young child at home.

I dunno how they keep people. There's no shortage of good defense jobs down here that are 40 hours a week. I guess money talks, but its not like the defense guys are paying that much less.
I've worked with SpaceX in a previous position. Every single engineer was visibly run ragged and ready to be done with the whole thing.

I work with Tesla now, they're an equally stressed set of people.

Not worth it for me either.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Another space x launching in 45 min, raining here in Sebastian so not sure of the weather in cape canaveral. It’s 42nd space x launch this year, pretty much once a week. space x is leading space race by a mile lol

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Another space x launching in 45 min, raining here in Sebastian so not sure of the weather in cape canaveral. It’s 42nd space x launch this year, pretty much once a week. space x is leading space race by a mile lol
We heard it and were like "probably.too rainy for a launch".

SpaceX definitely fills their niche for launches well. They didn't get here overnight, but they seem to have gotten their process figured out. They certainly had enough high profile failures along the way too.

The irony is that SpaceX might be responsible for dooming space travel with all the microsatellites they put in orbit, haha. There's already a lot.of concern about the amount of space debris up there.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
We heard it and were like "probably.too rainy for a launch".

SpaceX definitely fills their niche for launches well. They didn't get here overnight, but they seem to have gotten their process figured out. They certainly had enough high profile failures along the way too.

The irony is that SpaceX might be responsible for dooming space travel with all the microsatellites they put in orbit, haha. There's already a lot.of concern about the amount of space debris up there.
If starlink is a concern NASA would not approve it not sure if it’s their call or whatever govt branch make that call. But space is vast they just got approved for additional satellite I think total will be 12000 when finish not exactly sure of that though