• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Artemis launch

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Would really like to see a launch some day in person. Been on my bucket list all my life. It was my dream, right out of High School, to be a Physicist and that was the career path I was on. Life changed that path but space exploration fascinates me still.
Ditto. Wanted to go to Space Camp SO bad, but family could never afford it. My kid, if they desire, will absolutely spend a week there. And they have adult activities now too.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ditto. Wanted to go to Space Camp SO bad, but family could never afford it. My kid, if they desire, will absolutely spend a week there. And they have adult activities now too.
You guys remember the movie Space Camp? @HangOutdoors

I used to have that on VHS, and on Saturday mornings for the better part of 3-4 years I would wake up before my parents. Get the largest bowl of cereal I could carry (like a mixing bowl sized serving) and go to the living room. I would sit on this shitty old shag carpet rug and watch that movie as the first order of business for my weekend. I think I was like 7 or 8 (released in '86 to theaters) when I was doing this. Set the tone for the whole weekend.

Then.....if I was lucky and Dad slept in a bit. I had "Flight of the Navigator" on the same tape that would play right after "Space Camp". Good grief life was so simple back then!

Had the pleasure of watching a launch in person in Sept of '17. There aren't words to express how it felt. Even from 3miles away. The sound waves alone are enough of a weird sensation to have to experience at least once in your life!

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Did the launch set off any car alarms?
I was 5 or more miles away so no, also as soon as rocket takes off it veers toward Atlantic Ocean in case of malfunction but maybe at nasa facility it is possible

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did the launch set off any car alarms?
When I was near the VAB for the launch it didn't set off any in the parking lot.

Was interesting to see/hear the time delay in sound barrier being broken on the landing of the SpaceX rocket. You hear the "boom" of it slowing down JUST as it dips over the horizon to the landing pad. So your instinct is that it crashed.....because boom and loss of sight coincide. They prepped us for it ahead of time, but I still had a fleeting thought that it crashed and had to self correct.

The general "roar" from the boosters is pretty unreal. over 3mi away and it's noticeably aggressive. Only think I can compare it to is sitting next to a top fuel dragster at USNationals a few years ago. Sound waves from the cars exhaust was physically moving my clothing back and forth. SO loud that my ears were still ringing at the end of the day despite both ear plugs and over the ear noise suppression. Eyes were watering from the methanol fuel they were burning. That same "Holy shit, I can't believe they let people this close to this level of chaos" feeling was present at both events.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This topic just reminds me of a conversation last weekend a bunch of were having while sitting in the clubhouse after golf and having a few beers. They started talking about the Artemis launch. This one guy who is an IT kinda nerd said that the reason they keep delaying the launch is that it's not possible to go to the moon. He said that the whole space program is a hoax, then started going into all this data that he has read that there was some research study done that you can't ignite a fire in space and rocket propulsion is not possible in space due to the vacuum. Then he says and even if it was possible the rocket has nothing to push against, so if you did light a rocket it would just hover there and not move. Then the convo took a really crazy left turn and he says, "and oh btw.....the Earth is flat". I was flabbergasted. This dude was not yanking our chain either, he was dead ass serious about the Earth being flat, there is no space, and we never went to the moon. I said, well what about GPS, you know Global Positioning Satellites???? The only way that shit works, especially in the middle of the ocean is thru satellites. He says, nope, it's all land based and line of sight antennas. The Earth is flat so the line of sight is infinite. I just gave up and drank my beer....

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
This topic just reminds me of a conversation last weekend a bunch of were having while sitting in the clubhouse after golf and having a few beers. They started talking about the Artemis launch. This one guy who is an IT kinda nerd said that the reason they keep delaying the launch is that it's not possible to go to the moon. He said that the whole space program is a hoax, then started going into all this data that he has read that there was some research study done that you can't ignite a fire in space and rocket propulsion is not possible in space due to the vacuum. Then he says and even if it was possible the rocket has nothing to push against, so if you did light a rocket it would just hover there and not move. Then the convo took a really crazy left turn and he says, "and oh btw.....the Earth is flat". I was flabbergasted. This dude was not yanking our chain either, he was dead ass serious about the Earth being flat, there is no space, and we never went to the moon. I said, well what about GPS, you know Global Positioning Satellites???? The only way that shit works, especially in the middle of the ocean is thru satellites. He says, nope, it's all land based and line of sight antennas. The Earth is flat so the line of sight is infinite. I just gave up and drank my beer....
Let dumb people be dumb. It is easy enough for the average individual to prove the earth is round. Commercial space flight will hopefully put that to an end.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And this could be an IT guy who is in charge of security systems, medical data, privacy, etc. ROFL Mildly unsettling.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I continue to be amazed at the level of education one can receive, the positions one can attain, or the level of influence one can wield, and still have this level of conspiracy theory BS come out of them.

Like, it's so easy to disprove with simple physics and home experiments.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I continue to be amazed at the level of education one can receive, the positions one can attain, or the level of influence one can wield, and still have this level of conspiracy theory BS come out of them.

But first they have to understand the concept of confirmation bias, and have a tiny teeny bit of rational thinking and self reflection capabilities. Sadly there are plenty of people who've never heard of confirmation bias - often because reading and thinking is too hard. If you've read this far - that isn't you! Those people stopped reading at "understand"! LOL

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It is hard to understand that there are still people that think these things. Most people will always tend to find only the information (true or not via the internet) to support their thoughts/beliefs. This is real big with politics. I had a good friend that always posted these off "facts" about things and then later the whole article is parted as not fact and shows up under his posting via the link. Just that alone would make you rethink your POV!

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
It is hard to understand that there are still people that think these things. Most people will always tend to find only the information (true or not via the internet) to support their thoughts/beliefs. This is real big with politics. I had a good friend that always posted these off "facts" about things and then later the whole article is parted as not fact and shows up under his posting via the link. Just that alone would make you rethink your POV!
Part of the problem is facts are not really facts. Those political fact checkers are garbage (I would assume so are Facebooks). I remember seeing something that it said was not a fact but if you read in the article supporting its decision - it was like 90% true. Because of this, people don't trust anything. Political stuff is one thing since finding the truth is very difficult, and even then there are multiple truths. Scientific fact is another. My favorite is Journey to the Middle of the Earth. People believe that lol.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
These are some questions I would ask.
-Why is the moon round, along with all the other planets visible through binoculars?
-Have you looked at the moon landing sites through a powerful telescope ?
-Why as the ancients Greeks observed, is a ships mast and sails visible first and then the hull as it comes over the horizon?
-What is the difference between a propellant and an oxidizer?
-Why does a garden hose push back against your hand when you turn it on?
-What is holding up the earth if it is flat?
-How is Elvis and have you seen him lately?

Southernerd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Part of the problem is facts are not really facts. Those political fact checkers are garbage (I would assume so are Facebooks). I remember seeing something that it said was not a fact but if you read in the article supporting its decision - it was like 90% true. Because of this, people don't trust anything. Political stuff is one thing since finding the truth is very difficult, and even then there are multiple truths. Scientific fact is another. My favorite is Journey to the Middle of the Earth. People believe that lol.
Politics has spread like cancer to scientific fact. Reality as understood through scientific fact has always served as limitation on politics, but now we've reach a point where the inconvenience of reality to political ambition has created a widespread attack on knowledge in general. Hell, we're seeing books burned and banned like back a hundred years ago. Its pure insanity.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Sadly, Mr. Wizard has been off the air for far too long…. I loved watching him do all those table top experiments that illustrated the natural world.

Just had a wonderful chat with a retired guy yesterday at the little guard shack at my local forest service lake, we were talking about the basic scientific principles of having a “control” then introducing ”variables” then repeating the same experiment several times to verify results. Then having the experiments peer reviewed to verify outcomes.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Part of the problem is facts are not really facts.
I'm sure you didn't really mean to say this, and meant to say that some things people claim to be facts are not actually true. A fact is a fact by definition - it is proven.

The challenge is when people say something that isn't fact but claim it is, or state it as a fact. Politicians bend facts - which is why fact checking companies have such a challenge with "partially true", or "Partly false" fact checking. This is where people lose faith, because many things in the world are not black and white/ yes or no, yet so many people want to make them yes/no because understand the grey between them is hard and requires rational thinking, cognition and mental burden! Much easier to just say its black! Our two party system is reinforcing these polar ends of the spectrum unfortunately.

That said, I can't wait to see Artemis launch and hope they don't bend to public pressure as with the Space Shuttle (hope they learned their lesson there) and launch when they are ready, not when the cameras are ready!!!

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Same. Downside for my.little guy is he's probably not gonna be a space pilot (or any kinda pilot), mom and I both have not great vision so odds are he will too.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The latest I read was that they are going to repair and test the quick disconnect on the pad that was leaking. Then roll it back to the VAB to replace the self destruct batteries.