• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Audio Questions for the Clueless

twentiesforever

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello Folks,

I am most likely picking up a 2014 SX240 in a week or so and was reviewing potential mods. What size are the stock speakers in it? 6.5 in? Can I just drop in new polk speakers without adding an amp or changing the head unit? If so, is the gain in quality that much better over stock without an amp? Thanks in advance

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
With no amp, if you get very good speakers (JL Audio MX650, Polk MM651UM, for instance), you'll notice improved sound at low volume but you won't be able to adequately power them to make them audible at speed.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Personally, I would not rush to change out the speakers until I was ready to put an amplifier to them. Sure, like orange said, at low volume you may notice a small difference in the sound quality, but in an open air environment like a boat, when are we ever at a low enough volume to tell the difference. Amplifiers are not just for those who want to blast the sandbar or cove......they are needed for any type of listening that you do. Headunits simply don't have the power needed to drive any speaker to its potential. You don't have to spend a ton of money, just a nice quality name brand class D 4 channel will do the trick.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Williamsone46 @OperationROL What speakers do the 2015 240s come with now? I'm pretty sure they upgraded them from the Seaworthy speakers, but if not, a direct swap out of Seaworthy to Polk 651s is well worth it. My wife usually rolls her eyes when I do stereo projects, but when I put in two Polks and had her listen to me fade back and forth between the Seaworthy and Polks she was amazed at the difference.....which is HUGE for her!!! :)

If they are Kickers in there....perhaps not so big a change?

Also depends on what your end goal is.....if you are just looking for a nicer sound....do the above. If you are looking for something that will cause the old fart in the boat next to you to in the cove to move....then you'll want an amp, sub, JL or Polk MM series sort of upgrade.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yamaha website shows plain old seaworthy speakers for the 2014 SX240 model. I would recommend a drop in replacement to at least Polk DB651 speakers and add an amp. If you really want the Polks to sound good, amp them but filter the lows and get a sub. It is actually very easy to do and won't cost a ton if you do it yourself. Everyone will be quick to recommend JL or the higher end Polks, and JL amps but that system gets expensive quick. You have to decide how much you want to spend, how much stereo you really need, and how often you are going to use it...

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
@twentiesforever The AR/SX models come with sea worthy speakers, The Limited/Limited S models come with Polk DB651. The polk DB651 would be a nice improvement over stock and JL MX's wold be a nice improvement over the Polk. Put a 600 watt amp behind them and it will only get better.

I have a set of 4 DB651 if your interested.

Steve

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How much you looking to get for the 4 DB61 speakers?