• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ballast info

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
For one of my winter projects, adding ballast to my AR192 is high on the priority list for wake surfing. I intend to become a better surfer (since I learned how to this year) and now I want to try wake boarding but that is down the road since I already have my eyes set on a new Red Rocket surf board to accompany my LF Fish. My question to this that have done both sports, I have been told that a 750# sack surf side provides a great wake from the 190 series boats... have any of you tried that in conjunction with center forward ballast to bust the wave back and lengthen it? Does it work for starters? I am trying to plan my mods and purchases and if a single sack works then I will buy one with a pump but I am more into that ease of use but can't justify the time or expense to permanently plumb a single sack in etc. but if I chose to do one on each side then I would look at doing a more permanent install. Is a front sack necessary at all on these boats? Would it provide use for dialing things in and would it be worth the expense is what I am trying to determine. I was contemplating a 3 bag arrangement, twin 750's under the side rear seats and an 800 in the center locker. I know I would not wake board with them completely full as I am not certain the boat would have enough power to reach 20mph or so with 2300# of ballast and the size of the front bag was simply determined by what would fit the locker. The bags will be plumbed with quick disconnects so I can remove them for other adventures like a trip to Bimini etc or they can be rolled up and still free up a lot of storage. I am looking for ideas, thoughts, etc. trying to make an educated decision here. Also to throw in the mix, I am only planning on keeping this boat for 2 to 3 years in anticipation of Yamaha adding better ballast to the 212X and integrating some of the new features of sound deadening etc into that model... so What I do, I want to do it right for resale purposes as well but so far I really love my 192 and if I can do what I want to do with it I may not trade it off... its one of those damned if you do damned if you don't ideas...

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
750 was it for the boat when we did this....I bet the boat wouldn't even get the surfer out with more ballast. An AR192 might be able to do a little more but maybe someone will chime in that has done it?

Also on my Ar230 I could only stuff in 400 bags beside the motors.

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
750 was it for the boat when we did this....I bet the boat wouldn't even get the surfer out with more ballast. An AR192 might be able to do a little more but maybe someone will chime in that has done it?

Also on my Ar230 I could only stuff in 400 bags beside the motors.
I definitely do not want to over kill it. To make the 750 bag fit I will have to move the battery back far enough to give me 56" from bow to stern. I will also install a piece of material to add protection of the bag against the battery switch etc. Since it will only be blocked when the bag is full it should not be an issue for access.

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I have never tried wake surfing but I am dying to!! I don't want to add ballast but if it's necessary I guess I may not have a choice. I've only had the boat out a few times and both times I screwed around with the cruise assist at 10mph and I "thought" it made a nice wake to at least surf on with the rope. Maybe I have no idea LOL

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've only had the boat out a few times and both times I screwed around with the cruise assist at 10mph and I "thought" it made a nice wake to at least surf on with the rope. Maybe I have no idea LOL
It's fun even if you have to hold onto the rope. Get out there and do it! :winkingthumbsup"

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have never tried wake surfing but I am dying to!! I don't want to add ballast but if it's necessary I guess I may not have a choice. I've only had the boat out a few times and both times I screwed around with the cruise assist at 10mph and I "thought" it made a nice wake to at least surf on with the rope. Maybe I have no idea LOL
All I can say is have some patience, and find someone who has done it well enough that can coach you. My best friend coached me and had me popping up by the second attempt and said that he has seen seasoned watersports people that had difficulty with getting up on the board. I look at things and process them by the mechanics of it and was quite proud to actually pop up when I did. I wish they had a camera going when I got my board and I actually rode it for the first time, I was so excited that I had to intentionally stop to calm myself down so I could concentrate on what I was actually doing and each subsequent time I did it, I got up faster and smoother and my confidence got better and better. I am not certain I would have had the fast results I did trying it by myself or with someone who was a novice trying to teach me. Keep in mind I am 300 lbs, only ever did kneeboarding 25+ years ago and was not that great, never attempted to ski etc and now I have surfed. My confidence has grown so much now I am looking to wake board, and try snow skiing this winter.... It is exhilarating!

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Oh don't worry, I plan to! I am just researching boards and since the kids and the wife are showing interest I am doing EXTRA research so as to only have to buy maybe 2 boards. I imagine I will get my first crack at it next year though sadly :(

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Well I can strongly suggest the liquid force fish boards. You will need to get an appropriate length for what you need but Overtons has them on sale and they include a rope. It is a great learner and you can drop the fins to make it faster etc. I am already looking for another board and seriously thinking about the Red Rocket by Inland Surfer. It is a pricey board and I wish I knew someone who had one I could try but I want to get better with what I have first and the LF Fish can handle the abuse for a community board that you would not mind or worry too much if you see it get banged around a little vs. a $600.00 board.

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I was looking pretty hard at the Hyperlite Idylwood as well for myself and perhaps the wife. Maybe the kids can use the fish??

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I was considering the Hyperlite Idelwood as well for my second board then found the Red Rocket and liked its reviews as well. The fish tail makes the board very stable in the wake as it allows the rear of the board to settle in rather than be on top, the only downfall for a larger guy like me is this also slows the board down and makes finding the sweet spot to go rope less a much smaller window. For lighter people it is a non issue. I like the vortex feature of the RR as it is supposed to aid in breaking the board loose... my obvious fix is to lose some weight which I am trying to do but I do not have the patience to wait that long... LOL I want more performance and more ride time but season is rapidly coming to a close here so who knows...

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The inland surfer is a good board.....if you like surf style I would suggest looking at Shred Stixx boards. I have the truckster and I love it!!! Good to 240 pounds.....the big chief is good up too 300+

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Plan on going to the Shelbyville gathering next year, and not only will you meet a ton of awesome people, check out a bunch of boats, have a few jello shots, etc, but you can also try your hand at Surfing!

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Shelbyville?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just found it and it is awful close to Bimini... decisions decisions... I could do one or the other but not both in the same year and it does look like a lot of fun.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I just found it and it is awful close to Bimini... decisions decisions... I could do one or the other but not both in the same year and it does look like a lot of fun.

That is one of the best events of the year and we already have our reservations made for next year. Yep it is fun!!!

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That is one of the best events of the year and we already have our reservations made for next year. Yep it is fun!!!
Im thinking more about it. It would certainly be a lot cheaper than Bimini... distance for me is a little closer too. I think it is about 10 hours away...

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Im thinking more about it. It would certainly be a lot cheaper than Bimini... distance for me is a little closer too. I think it is about 10 hours away...
You could always fly in and have someone pick you and adopt you for the trip....lol There are plenty of people willing to share their boat.

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I will have to put some serious thought in that. I wouldn't mind bringing the boat along... what kind of accommodations are there? Anything on the water with slips? I read the last posts that there was a marina to get slips, what about hotels etc.? I know @Julian lives about 4 hours away from me, wonder how long it took him to drive out? Maybe I could caravan with him next year if he goes again?

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Now I have been communicating with Ragboy of Wake9.com and he gave me some input and put me in touch with Nick of Shred Stixx. We have been talking and now I am looking at this for my next board. It seems to be better suited for what I am after.. anyone here have their stuff? If so, how do you like it?