• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery best practices

JRobChicago

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Rookie - does everybody turn battery off at the end of each day? Any suggestions on good battery charger?

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have been very satisfied with 5 years of trouble free use with this dual battery tender:

Pulsetech Xtreme X2 Charger, Black/Yellow Amazon.com: Pulsetech Xtreme X2 Charger, Black/Yellow: Automotive

I leave the bilge on and my batteries tendered after every use, unless I put the cover on and won’t be using the boat for an extended period of time.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, battery off when done for the day if your boat is out of the water. If you're at a slip or mooring leave your battery on and bilge pump on unless your bilge pump is hot wired to the battery.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a dual bank Minn Kota battery charger. I turn off my battery but I have a float activated bilge pump direct wired to the battery.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If your boat is in the water, make sure your bilge pump has battery power. PM me if you'd like info in how I hooked one up and used solar on my 09 and I can dig that thread out for you.

When my boat is out of the water, the switches are generally off. Once the boat goes to sleep in the fall, I remove the batteries and put them on a dual battery tender for the winter to maintain them.

JetBoatPenguin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Same as others. I wet slip. Batteries off @ end of day. Backup bilge pump directly wired to AGM 31 battery, very low amp pull. Plan to add onboard battery charger. Minn kota precision looks to be my first choice, ProSports models and Genius also seem popular. Some captains also add an ACR..like the the Blue Sea Systems add a battery kit.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I wet slip and keep the house battery on. I don't want to trust my backup pump and float switch so I started keeping the house battery on. Used to have some water in the engine compartment but now it's dry when I get on.

VaMarine

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My boat beds down on a lift, so the batteries are turned off every night.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Trailer boater here.

Batteries are off unless we're within sight of the water. Or doing maintenance at home.

Have a super cheap battery tender I hook up during the season to keep it topped off between uses.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length